First time build and need your thoughts

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
95ram
beginner
beginner

First time build and need your thoughts

Post by 95ram » May 31st, 2017, 9:23 pm

Hello all. I'm getting ready to try my first build and wanted to run it by folks with a little more experience. I'm planning on using 3/16's for the CC and 1/4 for the FB. The external measurements I was thinking are 24"Wx36"Tx48"L which should give me 23.625"Wx35.625"Tx47.625"L. The FB would be 24"Wx26"Tx26"L which should give me internal measurements of 23.5"Wx25.5"Tx25.5"L. This should put the FB at about 115% of the CC. I was thinking of 3"x12" baffles on either side of the FB for air intake. And perhaps one on the FB door towards the top across from the FB to CC opening. I've heard this can help with evening FB to CC temps. For the FB to CC opening I'd go with about 5" with a 6" opening at the end of the BP. The bottom grate would be 6" from the baffle plate with 2 more above. All going out a 6"x 27" chimney. Is the chimney tall enough? Let me know if you think this will work or if you think I should change somethings.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: First time build and need your thoughts

Post by Rodcrafter » May 31st, 2017, 10:03 pm

First things first!

Welcome to the crew!

I would try to sway you putting an intake that high in the FB. I guess you have run the numbers on the pit calculator is how you got the %. I would just say use it for throat opening and BP opening and stack because they are what makes it run right

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 31st, 2017, 10:09 pm

Welcome!! Your numbers look pretty good to me. The only things I would change would be the throat (FB to CC) I'm assuming you mean 5'' x 24'' which would be 120 sq inches and the calculator recommends 130 sq in so I'd go 5.5'' x 24'' and that'd be 132''. The BP gap needs to be the same size or a little smaller than the throat, I make them the same. The distance from the BP to your bottom rack is the max that is recommended so just be careful that it doesn't get an farther from it or you'll lose all of the radiant heat. I think the chimney is close enough that it'll work. There was a guy a little while back that built some rectangular cookers and he had some type of issues, I don't remember what became of it. I know they'll work because Frank built one named Mack and he has cooked a ton of meat on it. I agree with RC on the upper intake, I don't feel that it's needed.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

95ram
beginner
beginner

Post by 95ram » May 31st, 2017, 10:58 pm

Sorry, typing on the iPad. The I was thinking the throat opening would be 6x23.5 and the BP opening would be the same. Is it going to hurt if it's a little larger? Thanks for the input so far.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » May 31st, 2017, 11:03 pm

:welcome: to the crew

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T

Post by Big T » May 31st, 2017, 11:12 pm

I can't say for sure what the maximum percentage that you can go over the recommended size without causing issues. I always try to stay as close as possible as long as it's at least the recommended size. I know that you can run into some temperature control problems if you stray too far from the calculator.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 1st, 2017, 10:53 am

Welcome !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » June 1st, 2017, 12:32 pm

Welcome to the fray!

95ram
beginner
beginner

Post by 95ram » June 1st, 2017, 2:05 pm

Big T wrote:Welcome!! Your numbers look pretty good to me. The only things I would change would be the throat (FB to CC) I'm assuming you mean 5'' x 24'' which would be 120 sq inches and the calculator recommends 130 sq in so I'd go 5.5'' x 24'' and that'd be 132''. The BP gap needs to be the same size or a little smaller than the throat, I make them the same. The distance from the BP to your bottom rack is the max that is recommended so just be careful that it doesn't get an farther from it or you'll lose all of the radiant heat. I think the chimney is close enough that it'll work. There was a guy a little while back that built some rectangular cookers and he had some type of issues, I don't remember what became of it. I know they'll work because Frank built one named Mack and he has cooked a ton of meat on it. I agree with RC on the upper intake, I don't feel that it's needed.

With the internal measurements I'm coming up with a 122.25 FB opening which would be about a 5.25x23.5 opening. So I'd want as close to 5.25" opening on the BP side correct?

Big T

Post by Big T » June 1st, 2017, 7:52 pm

Yes sir, the BP gap needs to be no larger than the throat(FB opening) but can be up to 25% smaller. I've built a few RFs and I've always used external measurements and never taken into consideration the thickness of building material. I usually round to the nearest sq inch on all openings, intakes and chimney length. All of the pits that I've built work great and without any issues so I don't think that you have to break out a micrometer or anything like that just stay as close to the formula as possible. I believe it will work fine with the numbers that you gave above.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » June 4th, 2017, 1:50 am

:welcome:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

95ram
beginner
beginner

Post by 95ram » June 4th, 2017, 9:23 pm

What are your thoughts on having the doors go the full 48". It would be split down the middle so each door would be 24x28ish. I was thinking of using to 4" hinges on each door.

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » June 4th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Welcome aboard.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Big T

Post by Big T » June 4th, 2017, 9:52 pm

Just something to think about. You'll need something to mount your slides for your racks on. I normally weld them to the rear of the CC and the inner edge of the door frame. If your doors are the full length of the CC you'll end up with rack over the BP gap. You don't want to restrict the air flow from the BP gap or risk something falling under the BP. I'm sure there's a way to accomplish both full doors and nothing over the BP gap so you'll need to figure it out before hand.

95ram
beginner
beginner

Post by 95ram » June 5th, 2017, 1:12 am

What thickness of metal do you all use? I'm adding this up and this thing is going to be well over 500lbs.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » June 5th, 2017, 1:08 pm

I'm sure it will be well over 500 lbs, my back yard smoker is 800 lbs. My trailer rig trailer and all is 5,000 lbs. But I wouldn't change a thing. Most folks around here use 1/4" plate. I get a bit thicker than that, but hey you're make a very large smoker and it will cook for a tribe of folks.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........