1 week time will start building 160” RF

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Emre
beginner
beginner

1 week time will start building 160” RF

Post by Emre » May 23rd, 2018, 5:24 am

Hi Everyone, i just purchased the plans for 130”x48”( 160” with firebox) RF smoker.. currently i am living in China and we will try to build two pcs in a small workshop for our new restaurant.. it is large size Reverse Flow and will be used indoor in an isolated area with exost system on top.. our main target for each smoker is to be able to cook 10-15 brisket with some beaf and pork ribs.. as most of my employees will be chinese that means they will be quite new to the cooking process and i know it will take some time .. one reason why i choose RF is that seems it is easier to manage temp and holding it ..is it true? we plan to start building them in one week..this will be my first smoke bbq house and i am all open to your suggestions.. one think in my mind is that since cooker has quite heavy doors, is it common to have exident because of the doors? Or what kind of safety areas we should be paying more attention.. such as storing the wood and propan tank for the quick start.. it is great to be a part of this comminity and i am all ears ..

Thank You
Emre

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: 1 week time will start building 160” RF

Post by ajfoxy » May 23rd, 2018, 5:48 am

Welcome to the site.

Make very sure you have a very well ventilated area as a solid fuel fire sucks oxygen from the surrounds and if too enclosed your staff might have an issue. Also be aware that these smokers are "low and slow" that is, low temperature and slow cooking. This is not the same as a charcoal grill etc. So plan ahead for the amount of time it will take to cook the required amount of food.

If you put a counter balance on the doors that should take care of any potential accidents should the door come down suddenly.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » May 23rd, 2018, 12:17 pm

Welcome to the crew!

The double Pan insulated cabinets may have been a better choice since you're using these inside. But you can insulate the Fire boxes so it doesn't get too hot in there.

As for you question about the doors, I like the counter weight idea so even if it fell on someone it wouldn't be life changing.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 23rd, 2018, 4:31 pm

Welcome aboard!!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Emre
beginner
beginner

Post by Emre » May 27th, 2018, 9:38 pm

i need your help guys to confirm something.. as i said before this large smokers will be used in restaurant and our main product will be briskets..i only smoked briskets in standard flow smokers.. now here is what stocked in my mind and stopping me to start building..most of the famous bbq places such as franklin or blacks they use standard flow..the air travels with a higher heat on the top off the brisket and since you put the fat side up and point of the brisket facing the fire box this way you get a good fat rendering and keep the flat side of the brisket less heat...however i never used a RF smoker.. two things i believe will affect the cooking quite much,not sure in a good or bad way.., first you will be getting different heat treatment because of the baffle plate..and second since smoke will reverse than the point of the brisket should face to the opposite side of the fire box i guess ..it is very important for us to cook great briskets.. please help me to understand my concerns has a point or i worry in a wrong way..

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 27th, 2018, 11:06 pm

I'm not exactly sure what the answer that you're looking for is but if you're asking is it different cooking on a RF than cooking on a traditional offset, the answer is yes. If you're asking if you can cook a great brisket on a RF, the answer is yes. If you're asking why certain guys prefer a certain style of cooker then I'm afraid that I can't answer that. I've been to a lot of good BBQ restaurants and they pretty much all used different style cookers, brick pits, offsets, smoke ovens, water smokers and everything else. I truly believe that it comes down to the pit master and his/her knowledge and ability as to whether or not that the food will be great or simply OK. I would also say that there will be a learning curve regardless of what style pit that you build. A lot of people think that they can watch a video of how a certain person cooks a given meat and that they can follow those steps and end up with the same style product. I know from my personal experiences that this isn't true, it takes trial and effort. I can't tell you which style is the best for you but I wouldn't trade my RF for a traditional offset any day of the week. jm2cw

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 27th, 2018, 11:51 pm

Those are some pretty big pits...and brisket is a difficult meat to smoke properly. I assume you have experience with both? Im also super concerned that you are using indoors.

Please keep us in the loop....we wish you well.

Emre
beginner
beginner

Post by Emre » May 28th, 2018, 3:27 am

Big T ... Thank you for the answer .. i got your points and that increased my confidence for RF..and i agree with you, you cant just watch something and assume you will end up with the same quality of finished product.. i am doing lots of experiments with the best i can.. the problem is that the country i am living right now doesnt have easy supplies of smokers.. there is not a single person here knows how to build a large smoker therefore i need to give them all the details of the drawings..anyway i will post some pictures once the manufacturing process starts.. Thank you

Dirtytires ... Yes to the Brisket and no to the big pits :) But i have three large restaurants and we used to play with large grills and wood ovens..we will take all the necessary precautions for the safety.. Thank you

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » June 2nd, 2018, 3:34 pm

The only part of this that leaves me wondering is why can’t you leave the smokers outside covered like a carport and keep all the heat outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........