Smoke Stack Diameter/Length

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Coach Cherry

Smoke Stack Diameter/Length

Post by Coach Cherry » January 31st, 2019, 9:50 am

Hello!

I am a new member to this site and already have learned several things! My question is that my Dad and I are starting a Small 120 Gallon Propane Tank Reverse Flow trailer and I love the "Fat Stack Smokers" exhaust size.

My question is with a Reverse Flow is essential to put the Smoke Stack at Grate level like Fat Stack Smokers does it, or just at the Top?

I would like to use a 6' Pipe for Exhaust, how long would be good?

Can I trust the Feldon's Calculator?

I want the smoker to draw like Walt Disney as they say!

Thanks!

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Smoke Stack Diameter/Length

Post by towtruck » January 31st, 2019, 11:23 am

If you want a big fat stack just add a false one over the correct size one to get your look you are after. Placement at the top of the cc would probably be best for your size.

my 2 cents worth.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » January 31st, 2019, 11:38 am

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » January 31st, 2019, 4:57 pm

Welcome aboard.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » January 31st, 2019, 7:43 pm

What’s up buddy. You can use any diameter pipe you want for your smoke stack. Just punch it in to the calculator, and make sure you have the correct sized intakes to match. You can trust Feldons or use the one on here. They will both get you plenty of draw. I think extending the pipe down to grate level is overrated. Especially on a 120 gallon cooker. Now if you had a 500 gallon tank or something with huge diameter, say 36” or more, and it was a long tank, then dropping the stack to grate level might help to circulate the smoke more evenly... but I doubt it. That tank is gonna fill with smoke regardless and everything in it will taste like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » January 31st, 2019, 11:09 pm

Feldons has been reported to give different answers/specifications than the calculator here. Follow whichever one you want but they are not interchangable.

Coach Cherry

Post by Coach Cherry » February 1st, 2019, 12:57 pm

Thanks for all the info!

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » February 1st, 2019, 1:45 pm

I have noticed each calculator produced different results on some things and the same on others. Many of the guys here use this one and it’s possible it may be more accurate, but u would have to build 2 of the exact same smokers using calculations from each to compare. I think Either one will work fine. When I built my cooker a few years ago I started with Feldons. I found this site and it’s calculator after I had already made plans. I got lots of good feedback and info from the guys. Just pick one and go. U will be drawing like Walt Disney before u know it. Besides, some of the best BBQ ever made comes from guys cooking on Pits built with no idea of any of this stuff. Just a tank, a hole at the bottom and whatever pipe they could find for a smokestack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”