Modifying a 500 gallon propane tank

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
mikathi143
beginner
beginner

Modifying a 500 gallon propane tank

Post by mikathi143 » November 7th, 2019, 7:05 pm

I went to buy that was advertised as a 250 gallon propane tank. It ended up being 500 gallons. So I have a bigger tank than I need right now. I have two questions. Has anyone cut a portion of the tank off 32"(Feldons calculator) to use for the firebox. The other option is to keep the tank intact (121") and build a square firebox. If I leave the tank intact I will have 10 feet of cooking chamber. I will be cooking for catering and won't need this big of a chamber all the time. I'm thinking of coming up with a way to insert a vertical removable plate in the middle of the smoker virtually cutting the cooking chamber in half. I would need to modify the baffle plate with a removable section so this vertical plate can be inserted and still have the proper space at the end of the now shortened baffle plate. I figure it's can work with a reverse flow because the chimney and firebox are at the same end. This way when I don't need a 10 foot smoker I can smoke in a 5 foot smoker with this inserted vertical plate. Any thoughts???

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Modifying a 500 gallon propane tank

Post by Big T » November 7th, 2019, 9:19 pm

I'm not saying that you can't make it work but I can think of a few issues that you'll need to work out before you start building. 1) The FB, BP gap and throat will not be anywhere close to the same size on 250 vs 500. 2) The BP needs to be sealed to avoid grease getting below and starting a fire. A grease dam at the throat will help but I have seen flames being drawn under the BP when the smoker is drafting hard. 3) You'll have to work out your cooking grates so that you don't end up with a grate above the BP gap when you shorten the CC or the doors don't extend to the unused area of the CC. 4) Everything will have to be sealed very well for it to work right so your false wall will have to fit pretty tight. I'm sure there will be some other issues but these came to mind right off.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

mikathi143
beginner
beginner

Post by mikathi143 » November 9th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Big T wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 9:19 pm
I'm not saying that you can't make it work but I can think of a few issues that you'll need to work out before you start building. 1) The FB, BP gap and throat will not be anywhere close to the same size on 250 vs 500. 2) The BP needs to be sealed to avoid grease getting below and starting a fire. A grease dam at the throat will help but I have seen flames being drawn under the BP when the smoker is drafting hard. 3) You'll have to work out your cooking grates so that you don't end up with a grate above the BP gap when you shorten the CC or the doors don't extend to the unused area of the CC. 4) Everything will have to be sealed very well for it to work right so your false wall will have to fit pretty tight. I'm sure there will be some other issues but these came to mind right off.
I have thought about all those questions as well and I think I can work around them. The BP, the gap, the grate. The throat can be adjusted with a moveable plate. For and temp and be controlled with about if full and adjusting the air intake. I'm going to think it through and do some Mach up drawings and specs

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » November 9th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Split it in the middle with a solid plate and make two fire box's, one for each half.......two smokers in one!!! You could even make one a reverse flow and the other an offset.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » November 10th, 2019, 12:47 am

towtruck wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 10:48 pm
Split it in the middle with a solid plate and make two fire box's, one for each half.......two smokers in one!!! You could even make one a reverse flow and the other an offset.
Now THAT is funny!

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » November 10th, 2019, 11:29 am

Dirtytires wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 12:47 am
towtruck wrote:
Now THAT is funny!
But it would work! Might need a Kenworth to move it though =))

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » November 25th, 2019, 1:29 pm

People have cut the tank and used part for a firebox or build two smokers from one tank.
I say build the larger smoker and a square firebox. The giant smoker is more work to build and more expensive as well. I think if you are running a catering buisness the giant smoker is great advertising with some signage on the trailer and or tow rig, and you never know how big that next big job is. I don't think I'd bother splitting the cook chamber because the difference in fuel usage after warm up is fairly small.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » November 25th, 2019, 1:30 pm

towtruck wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 11:29 am
Dirtytires wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 12:47 am
towtruck wrote:
Now THAT is funny!
But it would work! Might need a Kenworth to move it though =))
I bet even a freightliner would be able to do it.