Has anyone built the 22”x18” Vertical Reverse Flow?

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
steinernm
beginner
beginner

Has anyone built the 22”x18” Vertical Reverse Flow?

Post by steinernm » February 17th, 2021, 7:23 pm

Hello! This is my first post here. I’ve been reading this website for a while and love all the awesome builds! I’m looking at possibly trying my hand at building a Backwoods or Humphreys style smoker and found the smokerplans.net for the 22 x 18 reverse flow single pan cooker. It looks like it would be perfect for my needs. Has anyone built this smoker? I would love to see some pictures and maybe hear your opinions. I know steel is expensive these days. Any estimate on material cost for a smoker like this or one of the smallest gravity feeds? I did a little welding in high school a long time ago so that would be a challenge to get back into but I’m up for it, I think! Thanks. - Geoff

dacolson

Re: Has anyone built the 22”x18” Vertical Reverse Flow?

Post by dacolson » February 17th, 2021, 8:00 pm

Welcome to the group. Haven’t seen one this size before. Hopefully someone chimes in who has.

steinernm
beginner
beginner

Post by steinernm » February 17th, 2021, 8:09 pm

Thanks! It looks like the build cost of these insulated cabinet smokers is pretty high eh? What is the best bang for the buck, just a standard offset stick burner? As far as cost to make and cooking space? I really just want something big enough to cook maybe 2 briskets, 4 shoulders and 6 baby back slabs.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » February 17th, 2021, 8:31 pm

A UDS - ugly drum smoker - is by far the best bang for your buck. A 55 gallon drum plus parts can be obtained for $100 if you’re careful. With 2 cooking racks, you can make a pile of meat. They are super easy to run as well. A lot of guys use them in competition builds. There is a section in here on them for build ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » February 18th, 2021, 3:25 am

Welcome!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 18th, 2021, 10:50 am

Definitely price out your project. Steel is in tight supply right now due to a variety of reasons (increase demand, mill consolidation, COVID shutdowns, tariffs) and projections are for prices to remain high thru the first quarter. The mills are in no hurry to open new production so this inflation could last a bit.

I bought a truckload last week and was sticker shocked....

steinernm
beginner
beginner

Post by steinernm » February 18th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 10:50 am
Definitely price out your project. Steel is in tight supply right now due to a variety of reasons (increase demand, mill consolidation, COVID shutdowns, tariffs) and projections are for prices to remain high thru the first quarter. The mills are in no hurry to open new production so this inflation could last a bit.

I bought a truckload last week and was sticker shocked....
Thanks for the tips. I am still looking at Backwoods or Humphreys cookers and the last thing I want to do is to build a clone and spend more money than I could have bought one new for l, which I have a suspicion might be the case!!!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » February 19th, 2021, 10:46 am

Keep in mind, a home built smoker will typically be built from thicker material and to better tolerances than a store-bought unit. Both of which relate to a better pit operation longevity. I would pretty much guarantee you can buy it cheaper if that is the only factor but It’s not always a simple price comparison.....

steinernm
beginner
beginner

Post by steinernm » February 20th, 2021, 4:39 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
February 19th, 2021, 10:46 am
Keep in mind, a home built smoker will typically be built from thicker material and to better tolerances than a store-bought unit. Both of which relate to a better pit operation longevity. I would pretty much guarantee you can buy it cheaper if that is the only factor but It’s not always a simple price comparison.....
Copy that! Thanks for the help.

crpngdth2001
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by crpngdth2001 » November 30th, 2021, 10:58 am

Just bumping this post to see if anyone has built this model yet and has any pictures? Considering building one, but searched the forums and couldn't find where someone tackled one.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » December 1st, 2021, 10:22 am

You might PM Frank to see what he knows about it. We don't see a lot of verticals on here but not everyone who buys plans posts on here either.