14in Mini UDS Build Basket question

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
JPinSTL
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

14in Mini UDS Build Basket question

Post by JPinSTL » June 27th, 2018, 3:16 pm

So I'm happy with my full sized UDS. But I had some barrels and parts and thought I'd make a smaller based of a 15gal drum. These have an approx 14in diameter. This would be good for the shorter cooks like yardbird wings, legs, etc. The bonus is it would nest inside the larger one for storage. So I could do the appetizers on the little guy and the brisket/butts on the full sized.

So I sourced this for the domed lid so I can get 2 grates in there - $15 AND it fits perfectly, not like a Weber lid on the 55.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-Grill ... k/54891437

I started bending up a charcoal basket, but the tight radius was difficult and making it square ends up being small. So I found some cheap charcoal starters for $10 at Aldi. Figured a few extra holes and I'd be done. At this price, I'm guessing they are not stainless, but some sort of bright dip galvanized coating. Is the zinc coating a food hazard if used inside the smoker?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: 14in Mini UDS Build Basket question

Post by Big T » June 27th, 2018, 7:48 pm

There has been a lot of debate about the safety of galvanized material inside CC. I personally don't use anything galvanized on my builds and I believe most guys on the site tend to stay away from it also. It may very well be fine but I don't want to risk it.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: 14in Mini UDS Build Basket question

Post by Rodcrafter » July 2nd, 2018, 6:12 am

:yth:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........