Tee Shaped UDS Plans?

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
Tatoosh
beginner
beginner
Title: Noobie Baboy
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not So Competitive

Tee Shaped UDS Plans?

Post by Tatoosh » June 13th, 2012, 12:19 am

I have been using the search function here in the forum and at SmokerBuilder.com to see if there are any plans for a Tee Shaped UDS. It consists of two 55 gallon drums, which are welded together after the bottom is cut to match the curve of the horizontal drum. The lower drum holds the charcoal/fire box and water pan, the upper drum is fitted with shelves and exhaust. I've seen two of these builds, similar but not identical, on the internet. The second one did not do the cutting so the upper drum snuggled into the top of the bottom drum, but rather simply sat there with a large, short pipe connecting the two for heat and smoke.

The one I really like so well is found at: http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/2009/12/ ... um-smoker/ and has a sort of elegance to it, though I worry it might be a bit "tippy". Still, for a greater smoking area, it looks impressive. I wonder if some sort of reverse flow setup might work well or if dual exhaust chimneys would be adequate. If I got this made here, I'd need some pretty specific drawing for the fabricator to follow, in terms of size of cuts, fitting of the doors. Ideas for sealing those somehow, since air flow is important and preventing leaks would be good.

I did not see any existing plans here, the plans on the website I mentioned above are for CAD cutters and those are pretty much non-existent where I live, a medium small city but it is all done by hand, not much in the automated cutters here.

Any pointers or ideas would be appreciated.

Tatoosh

Mabuhay BBQ! Weber OTG, Smokenator 1000, Pizza Kettle, Red & Yellow Thermapens

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: Tee Shaped UDS Plans?

Post by The Czar » June 13th, 2012, 7:26 am

Interesting design.....I haven't seen anything like that before.....I'd say wait till OB-1 reads the post and see what he can come up with..... :welder:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 13th, 2012, 7:27 am

AKA= The Czar

smokendink71
Expert
Expert
Title: Le Cordon Bleu Chef
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by smokendink71 » June 13th, 2012, 6:18 pm

I've seen the design that you are talking about, I'll look and see if I can find the plans for it and get back with you

A little about me, I am a Le Cordon Bleu Chef and have been in the food service industry for over 10 years. Any questions about food I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

smokendink71
Expert
Expert

Post by smokendink71 » June 13th, 2012, 8:24 pm

smokendink71 wrote:I've seen the design that you are talking about, I'll look and see if I can find the plans for it and get back with you
looks like what I seen was just about the same as the link you have in your article above, sorry I was no help :oopssign: :headwall:

A little about me, I am a Le Cordon Bleu Chef and have been in the food service industry for over 10 years. Any questions about food I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Tatoosh
beginner
beginner

Post by Tatoosh » June 13th, 2012, 9:21 pm

Thank you for looking. I really appreciate your time and effort. I am no serious rush on this and will keep hunting as time permits. I see you are Cordon Bleu chef, may I ask where you trained, by the emblem, I am guessing Paris? My wife, a special education teacher, loves baking and I wish I could send her to one of the Cordon Bleu classes, whether in the States or at the original French institute. I dream of eating my way through Italy and France some day. Maybe if we hit the lottery! :-bd

smokendink71
Expert
Expert

Post by smokendink71 » June 13th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Tatoosh wrote:Thank you for looking. I really appreciate your time and effort. I am no serious rush on this and will keep hunting as time permits. I see you are Cordon Bleu chef, may I ask where you trained, by the emblem, I am guessing Paris? My wife, a special education teacher, loves baking and I wish I could send her to one of the Cordon Bleu classes, whether in the States or at the original French institute. I dream of eating my way through Italy and France some day. Maybe if we hit the lottery! :-bd
I actually went to Le Cordon Bleu Chicago, all the chevrons say Paris for it being started there. :chef:

Tatoosh
beginner
beginner

Post by Tatoosh » June 14th, 2012, 7:00 am

Cool, good to know. Seriously good culinary education there, I am sure. They had one in Portland, Oregon but it was just way too pricy and I don't think they offered any weekend courses for us amateurs. I loved stopping there to snack at their pastry shop on the way to work in the afternoons, though.

smokendink71
Expert
Expert

Post by smokendink71 » June 14th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Tatoosh wrote:Cool, good to know. Seriously good culinary education there, I am sure. They had one in Portland, Oregon but it was just way too pricy and I don't think they offered any weekend courses for us amateurs. I loved stopping there to snack at their pastry shop on the way to work in the afternoons, though.
yeah it was a chunk out of the wallet ($42000.) but I enjoyed it and have put it to some good use :explode2:

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 14th, 2012, 6:54 pm

WOW...that is not a small number!!!! You could have built some great smokers with that kind of jack... :hissy:

AKA= The Czar

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » June 14th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Tatoosh, fitting those two drums together would be easy. Welding those two drums together will be a nightmare that I would not wish on anyone.
Here is a link to a double barrel that may fit your needs they are tried and true drum cookers.
I hope this helps. :)
http://bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalpit/ ... _pit.shtml

Tatoosh
beginner
beginner

Post by Tatoosh » June 15th, 2012, 4:40 am

Those look great! My drawback is I need a charcoal unit, not a wood fired unit. I could do a propane unit since they can often be modified to use a mix of propane/charcoal as well. But I'll keep that design in the back of my head. Assembly would be much easier to be sure!

bizkithead
Title: dirt bike guy

Post by bizkithead » July 18th, 2012, 11:29 am

:biggrillin: you could pull it off shoot :strongbad:

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » July 22nd, 2012, 9:22 am

Drums is where I learned to weld. Combine that with a cheep unreliable welder and now I feel that I am a champ.

The thin stuff is a little rough but doable. Here latley I have started using a 3/16 round bar in the corner of my joints on the really thing stuff. Get it warm and it will wash nicley into the thin stuff. Still dont wanna blink or you may burn a hole in it.

As far as the design goes!!!!! I LOVE IT.!!!!!!

That right there is the center feed reverse flow design that I love so much.

I wouldnt worry to much about being top heavy, just build a cart the width of the top barrel and use the space on the side of the bottom drum for storage when your not smoking.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Return to “UDS Smokers”