If you had your druthers...

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
Kansafornian
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: RCDS
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

If you had your druthers...

Post by Kansafornian » June 27th, 2012, 2:03 am

I'm sure this thread is somewhere on the site, however, having not found it after kicking about for a while, I thought I'd start a 'new' thread.

Given the collective wisdom herein, and your druthers, what are the top 5 smoker thermometers on the market today? I plan to start my UDS build this weekend and am prepping the parts order. There appears to be any number of thermometer options/configurations. Which are best? Which to buy?

A follow-on question: Given UDS as the soaker du jour, what are the optimal thermometer location(s)? Both racks? Lid? Elsewhere?

Thx in advance. Your opinations are much appreciated.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: If you had your druthers...

Post by Gizmo » June 27th, 2012, 6:50 am

I've had the best luck with the Tel-Tru brand of t-guages.
The longer the stem the better.
I posted a thread on here showing the label off of one ...
:)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 27th, 2012, 7:33 am

I think they all suck :-q .....I use a Maverick.....but True Tel seems to be the winner of the losers :-bd .....and from the top of the barrel down.....7 to 8 inches seems optimal..... :beer:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » June 27th, 2012, 9:22 am

Bi-metal therms are a good gauge of how close you might be to your mark. The article below gives a lot more information on therms in general. The maverick digital therms are great! I use my Guru, of course, but all remote probe type therms suffer from another flaw - you can't pinch their cords or the readings will be off, and worse, eventually you will wear them out completely only you won't know it until you move the cord and your temperature spikes or drops significantly. So if you want my honest opinion - I use both. Tel-tru therms in the doors to keep an eye on things and my Guru to really dial in the temp.

http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_g ... guide.html

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

SoloQue
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Post by SoloQue » June 27th, 2012, 10:54 am

I rely heavily on digital therms for zeroing in on temps that are right in the cooking area but I agree that having a dial therm or two on the doors as a confirmation that the digitals are working can be a lifesaver. The Mavericks get great reviews but suffer the same as any model in that the lead wires will give eventually due to abrasion. No issues with Tel-tru and getting a longer stem is preferred. I always do a icewater/boiling water test on any new therms to verify that out of the package they are worth installing. JM2C

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Kansafornian
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Kansafornian » June 27th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Thx gentlemen! I'll proceed accordingly.

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » June 27th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Kansafornian, for UDS's it is hard to beat a good 12" stem turkey frying thermometer. the price is right and for the most part they are usually dead nut on.
I place mine 1" below the grates and have sleeves that allow me to remove them if I need to pull a lower grate.

I do use Mavericks for there remote access but the analogs keep me in touch if I am close by.

Kansafornian
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Kansafornian » June 28th, 2012, 12:06 am

Thx k.a.m. I've just picked up the pieces for my UDS and will likely use multiple bi-metals (turkey-length) and a Mavrick or

Return to “UDS Smokers”