I've Almost Got all The Parts Together

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

I've Almost Got all The Parts Together

Post by g8adventure » June 29th, 2012, 6:50 pm

I picked up a used food grade drum today for $30 and a friend of mine gave a 13"x56" piece of #9 expanded expanded metal that is not galvanized. The barrel is not lined, but does have paint inside and out. I'm planning to burn it out tomorrow since, all the sandblasters I've found want to charge me more than I feel reasonable. I purchased everything else from Home Depot or re-purposed parts from a ECB.

IIRC cardboard is go to burn out the barrel. Is there any particular length of burn I need to get the job done right.

Will a 13"x56" piece of expanded metal make a large enough charcoal basket for long low and slow cooks. I've got a 9lb bone in butt I want to smoke.

~Tom
Working towards becoming a PORKtologist...similar to a Proctologist, in that we often work with butts.

smokendink71
Expert
Expert
Title: Le Cordon Bleu Chef

Re: I've Almost Got all The Parts Together

Post by smokendink71 » June 29th, 2012, 7:16 pm

I burn mine usually all day but I also get barrels with liners unfortunately as far as the basket 56" will give you a little over 17 3/4" diameter so yeah that's a good size, I only make my baskets about 10" tall

A little about me, I am a Le Cordon Bleu Chef and have been in the food service industry for over 10 years. Any questions about food I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » June 30th, 2012, 2:51 pm

So I started burning out this barrel at 6a.m. PST and now at 1p.m. all accept the last bottom third on the outside looks like its all burn out. Is this normal is it anything I should be concerned with. A very good amount of the paint is gone from the top 1/3's is gone and metal is showing if this says anything.

~Tom
Working towards becoming a PORKtologist...similar to a Proctologist, in that we often work with butts.

smokendink71
Expert
Expert
Title: Le Cordon Bleu Chef

Post by smokendink71 » July 1st, 2012, 12:05 am

yeah that bottom 3rd is a real bitch to get burnt some guys will actually build a fire on the ground and set the barrel in the fire and burn it that way also, I just do a lot of work with the wire wheel

A little about me, I am a Le Cordon Bleu Chef and have been in the food service industry for over 10 years. Any questions about food I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » July 1st, 2012, 4:54 pm

I wouldnt worry about that paint down low on the outside. Wet sand it good and continue on. If you set it in a fire to burn it off, be careful, I have seen barrels ruined that way.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » July 2nd, 2012, 6:25 pm

smokeone wrote:I wouldnt worry about that paint down low on the outside. Wet sand it good and continue on. If you set it in a fire to burn it off, be careful, I have seen barrels ruined that way.
:yth:

and we have been making our baskets about 8 to 10 inches tall so you should be good to go.....

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » July 4th, 2012, 5:15 pm

Okay I've got this sucker built. The only thing is I'm using a fairly long pipe for my intake that has the ball valve long enough that its right at the top of barrel. I need to find a pipe stand off, but when I ask about them at Lowes and Home Depot they look at me like I just told them I the man from the moon. I can find pictures of them online, but no online sources for them. Any ideas or leads of an online shop that sells them. I've search for them in the Smoker Builder store, with no luck as well.

One thing I'm very pleased with is that my Weber kettle lid fits this UDS better then it does the kettle. Now I'm just trying to find a used kettle on craigslist cheap so I can get it for the lid and grate, I'm planning on having 2 cooking grates in this UDS.

I've also gotten piece of 16 gauge mild steel that I'm going to turn into a heat diffuser. One idea I've had since my charcoal basket is 13" tall and it really does not need to be that tall I though I'd cut the diffuser about 1.5 wider than the basket thinking then I could just set it on top of the basket, that way I could get true indirect heat. What do you all think?

~Tom

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » July 4th, 2012, 5:39 pm

I think the diffuser thing is a great idea! also here is a link to the hanger I would use at lowes....
pipe hanger link
as far as the kettle lid goes, put a wanted ad on craigslist and say you are accepting them in any condition, you will be surprised how many people will sell you one!

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » July 5th, 2012, 11:53 pm

Thanks Frank...

I had to travel to the next town to get the hangers from Lowes, because the nearest one didn't even have them or know what they are.

I will be placing Craiglist add right away.

~Tom

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » July 7th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Forgot a thermometer probe hole. On my Weber kettle instead of paying $8 for a grommet I went to Home depot and purchased one of those hollow threaded brass tubes like are used in lamps to run a lamp cord through. However, I've gone all out on this UDS build so I'd like to know is there anything inherently better about the grommets sold by Cajun Bandit? I suspect on the UDS the small hole wont create enough of a leak to cause fire control problems as it hasn't on my Weber Kettle.

I placed a "Want" add on Craiglist and Ebay Classifieds for a Weber Kettle Lid or whole kettle offering for them or trade my late father's barely used ECB. I figured that it start getting calls right away, but nothing. However, I was at Biglots today and they have a cheap fairly light gauge steel 22.5 kettle for sale for $26 would I be a whole lot better off waiting to find a Weber lid would the light gauge lid work just as well? How important is the gauge of the steel for the lid of a UDS? If you can't tell I'm not very patient...after all the work I've put into this thing I want to get it exactly as I want it. :headwall:

The main reason I want a kettle lid is that I've built the UDS to have 2 cooking grates.

~Tom

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » July 8th, 2012, 6:40 am

WOW - $26 for a new dome lid seems real reasonable. I don't think the Gauge of the lid will throw off your cooking process much at all. Changing over to a heavier Weber dome whenever you find one sure won't hurt anything and you'll still have the lighter gauge one as a backup - or a second UDS ... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » July 8th, 2012, 8:18 am

Thanks Rick... I doubt I'll build another until I can find a source for refurbished drums that do not need to be burned out. I really enjoyed building the UDS, but IMO burning out the drum was a real PIA.

~Tom

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » July 8th, 2012, 8:32 am

I hear you on the PIA - where I live that would require a special city permit ... :headwall:

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

PressureRanger
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by PressureRanger » July 8th, 2012, 8:45 am

Well you wouldn't have to build a new one. If you buy the Big Lots kettle andf use the lid from it until you find a Weber lid, then once you do find the Weber lid you can put the cheaper kettle lid back on the kettle, and you'll have an additional kettle cooker.

:D

Pulling my pork....200 lbs at a time!!

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » July 8th, 2012, 9:16 am

Good points, plus the cheap one will provide me with my second cooking grate. This is looking better all the time! :beer:

~Tom

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » July 8th, 2012, 9:18 am

Great combo for steaks and crawdads - smoke on the UDS then over to the grill to finish up ...

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » July 8th, 2012, 12:53 pm

WoW :biggrillin: shortly after my last reply and elderly lady called me and told me to come pick up her late husbands Weber Grill for free, becaue she will never use it. It was out in the weather quite a bit so the grill grate was rusted up, but I took my wire wheel to it and it looks okay now. I think it will be fine once I season it.

~Tom

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » July 8th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Don't you love it when a plan comes together?
:huh:
:grillin:

PressureRanger
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder

Post by PressureRanger » July 8th, 2012, 1:39 pm

See...now if that were me...the old lady would have called about 10 minutes AFTER I got back from buying the kettle grill from Big Lots.

THAT is my kinda luck.

:oopssign:

:o

Pulling my pork....200 lbs at a time!!

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » July 8th, 2012, 5:26 pm

PressureRanger wrote:See...now if that were me...the old lady would have called about 10 minutes AFTER I got back from buying the kettle grill from Big Lots.

THAT is my kinda luck.

:oopssign:

:o

:yth: ....is truth to the max!!!

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » July 8th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Good deal G8!

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » July 8th, 2012, 9:20 pm

awesome! sounds like it's coming together!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Return to “UDS Smokers”