Questions on UDS Build

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Questions on UDS Build

Post by g8adventure » May 22nd, 2012, 11:59 pm

I have locaated a source for heavy gauge drums for a reasonable price for my area. Okay in some ways I like the idea of the most simple UDS, builds, but at the same time I want the best UDS cooker I can build. I do not weld so whatever I build will have to be without welding and I've read enough UDS builds all over the web that I do know that isn't a big deal. I'm very impressed with BarrelSmokers . com build, but then again I virtually know nothing about smokers except what I've read on the web. Even with a UDS I'd like to build the best I can and have it last as long as possible. Please for forgive me if I've broken a forum rule, by mentioning another sites build, but I really respect the knowledge on this site.

The parts are available to build do a BarrelSmoker build, but my question is, is that build as good as it claims?

Has anyone here built one like it and is it possible to build something that has components that accomplish the same things without paying $200 for the parts or having to use a welder. I'm even more than willing to buy the kit sold by this forum.

Is this build really everything its cracked up to be, or does it have a bunch of extra things like fire bricks, fire brick retainer, smoker plate (I think its the same thing as diffuser plate.

I like the whole idea of the plate making it into indirect heat smoker.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just no sure what kind of search terms to use to get all these questions answered.

~Tom
Working towards becoming a PORKtologist...similar to a Proctologist, in that we often work with butts.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Questions on UDS Build

Post by Gizmo » May 23rd, 2012, 6:08 am

I would suggest you buy Frank's kit - prolly the lowest priced way to get going - excellent experience available here on operation of it and with a decent coat of paint and keeping it covered it should be around longer than you are ... :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » May 23rd, 2012, 7:17 am

http://www.smokerplans.net/index.php?ma ... ducts_id=5

This link will get you to a set of plans for like 17.00 that shows you step by step how to build one without welding and I think in it tells you where to get parts at cost..... :ymsmug:

It is straight forward with a few simple tools....no fire bricks....just a straight up coal burner....and yes a diffuser plate can be made with a little effort for it.... :beer:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » May 23rd, 2012, 9:57 am

You could get the video that the guys mentioned or the kit if you want , but there really isn't much to it....
only things you need are-
  • 4- 3/4"x 2" pipe nipples
  • 3- 3/4" pipe caps
  • 1- 3/4" full port ball valve
  • some 3/4" conduit lock rings
  • some 2"x 1/4" stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers
  • charcoal grate for a 22" kettle grill. like a weber
  • cooking grate for the same kettle grill
The video I made is almost 45 minutes long and goes into painful detail on each step. I could also post a tutorial on here at some point.

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » May 23rd, 2012, 10:35 am

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Frank, Part of the reason I asked the above is I saw your kit with the video and am interested in it.

So it sounds like everyone is saying that all that other stuff would be a waste of money, which in a way is good news, because that means it will be considerably cheaper to build. So after the first when I get paid I'll likely build a UDS. :biggrillin:

One more question. Is there any compelling reason not to make a fire box door on a uds, to make adding coals or wood easier if needed during long cooks.

~Tom
Working towards becoming a PORKtologist...similar to a Proctologist, in that we often work with butts.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » May 23rd, 2012, 11:12 am

With the fire basket and a large bag of charcoal you can get a 30 hour burn time at 225....no need to add .....

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » May 23rd, 2012, 11:25 am

The way mine is built, which is Frank's method, works wonderfully! No need for fire brick or any of that stuff.
As far as a door, it is unneccessary. I have gotten 10 hours out of a 8lb bag of lump, with wood chips mixed in, plus one chimney of lit lump. It was about 60 out that day, with moderate wind, I ran at about 250. No issues at all. After my cook I shut it down and let the fire go out, when I cleaned the uds, i still had some left, not alot but some. My firebasket will prolly hold 15 lbs of charcoal or more, that would go a long time. Just my .02.

Good luck and have fun building! :)

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » May 23rd, 2012, 1:45 pm

a firebox door looks cool.... but it's major disadvantage is it is one more place to have an air leak. It is really not too hard to remove the basket using a crow bar or a bent stick of roundbar. as you will find out the biggest thing to keep in mind with a UDS is making sure it is tightly sealed. if you have air leaks it will be hard to control.

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » May 23rd, 2012, 4:52 pm

Thanks guys now I just have to learn how to paint so I can give it a cool paint job with flames painted on the outside like one of the ones I've seen in this sites banner.

~Tom

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » May 30th, 2012, 11:53 pm

Hope you all don't mind me bringing this thread back up. I am not long from likely purchasing Franks full kit however I have one question. I've noticed several UDS that utilize one or two ball valves attached to pipe(s) running up the side of the drum is there any reason not to utilize such a design?

I like idea of the convenience of having the ball valves further up the side.

~Tom

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » May 31st, 2012, 7:04 am

The placement of the valve is purely your choice...lately we have just been putting them on the bottom nipple and not running them up.....but on my R2D2 UDS...I have two valve on stand offs....works either way.... :grillin:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » June 9th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Hi Guys: I don't no if I mentioned it here before, but not long ago I found an almost new ECB my late fathers shed. So I'm pretty excited as I figure I can use one the grates from it for charcoal grate, and use the handles too in my UDS build which I'm starting to pull the parts for. I already have a Weber Kettle cooking grate for it since I replaced the stock one in my kettle with one of those ones with the sides that flap up for coals. I just purchased franks video this morning and It is well worth the cost.

~Tom

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » June 9th, 2012, 7:23 pm

:beer: Thanks for gettin that video and thanks for the kind words! :beer:

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 9th, 2012, 7:25 pm

It's just 45 minutes of pure awesomeness!!!!

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » June 9th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Frank_Cox wrote::beer: Thanks for gettin that video and thanks for the kind words! :beer:
You are welcome. I sent you a PM to.

~Tom

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Frank_Cox » June 9th, 2012, 9:40 pm

I just got it, I will reply shortly :beer:

g8adventure
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by g8adventure » June 10th, 2012, 5:01 pm

How long of a piece of expanded metal do I need to go around a 16" grate. The grate I'm planning on using is from an ECB and the diameter is actually a little smaller than 16 diameter.

~Tom