Insulated UDS

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Insulated UDS

Post by SoloQue » June 13th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Here is the deal. My brother has been listening to me going crazy about the smoker TQ is building for me and he has really gotten the BBQ fever even more than usual. Up until a few years ago he had always cooked on a ECB and never knew what he was missing. BUT everytime I found a mod or twist I wanted on my eventual smoker I was talking to lil bro about it. Now it seems he is about to bust to be able to really cook low and slow but his wife is willing to bust him :BDHorse: if he goes in debt to follow my lead. WHEW, I probably give too much info :D I have talked to him about doing a UDS because he can get some serious good cooks without a ton of investment. SO here is the plan ... I can get him new heavy gauge drums from where I work ( we go through about 800 a week) and I also have access to overpack drums that the EPA and DOT use whenever a drum gets punctured during transit. These overpacks are slightly larger and thicker than a standard 55 gallon. What do you think of wrapping the standard 55 with insulation and then permanently securing (suspending) inside the overpack drum with the same set up of nuts and bolts currently being utilized in the standard UDS build? I would gauge it out so that the inner lip was just tall enough to allow for a weber dome top. The final touch would be welding a sleeve collar around the top of the overpack to just below the top lip of the innder 55. All of the vent hole inlets will be extended through the insulation just like the bolts. I already hear of crazy long cooks with a UDS but as usual I am looking for that extra tweak. Since he's my lil bro I'm just looking to give him an edge if I can. As usual thanks for the feedback. I'd rather get y'alls input before I run this by him and we go down this path.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Insulated UDS

Post by Gizmo » June 13th, 2012, 7:14 pm

Sounds like a great idea to me! :) :kewl:

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

smokendink71
Expert
Expert
Title: Le Cordon Bleu Chef
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by smokendink71 » June 13th, 2012, 8:11 pm

I actually seen a post on another site where a guy built an insulated rectangular box and housed 3 uds's in said box and had IQ110's on all 3, had the whole rig on casters so he could move it around easily. I say what you are thinking sounds like a great idea, wish I had an older brother who gave 2 shits about me, lol. :points:

A little about me, I am a Le Cordon Bleu Chef and have been in the food service industry for over 10 years. Any questions about food I will answer to the best of my knowledge.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 13th, 2012, 9:52 pm

its a great idea but am trying to figure the practiality of it?? :huh:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » June 14th, 2012, 6:37 am

because it would be cooler than the one you have DC ... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » June 14th, 2012, 7:10 am

dcman wrote:its a great idea but am trying to figure the practiality of it??
From listening to folks describe their UDS I hear folks talking about how to add charcoal and alot of folks say the side door will be an air entry point which is a negative thing and that fire control is critical with the UDS. I just figured that if it was insulated the added % of available cook time (whatever it ends up being) would be one less worry down the road. Not to mention he has rug rats galore and the exterior would be a whole lot safer so he wouldn't have to chain up the herd when he's smoking. I may be giving too much credit to the insulation on that point. Since neither of us weld, this still seems like the route to take and we will just haul it to a welder to put the top union ring in place to seal the deal so to speak. But again, thanks for the feedback. :-bd

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » June 14th, 2012, 7:18 am

Rick wrote:because it would be cooler than the one you have DC ... :D

HEY....nothing is cooler than R2D2.....and don't you forget that :rulz: :rulz: :rulz:

I don't know if insulating can get any longer burn times....I just did a 20 lb bag of blue bag and at 220 to 230 it cooked for like 50 something hours.....now as far as exterior....I don't know.... :bigfoot:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » June 14th, 2012, 7:28 am

WOW! - nice burn! :)

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » June 14th, 2012, 8:26 am

I can't even imagine a 50 hour burn on a RF. That is some impressive bang for your buck. Basically you can have a smoker going for an entire weekend. :kewl:

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » June 14th, 2012, 4:58 pm

I think it would be a neat build Solo. It may be cooler to the touch, but that is just a guess.

I do have to agree with DC, I dont think you need it for a longer burn. #-o

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » June 14th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Well, at least I know to keep my expectations in check but I'm glad to hear y'all think it could be a good build. I've got my buddy at the plant tracking down an overpack drum so maybe this will start soon enough. My goal is to get this thing built by Christmas. That's when I haul my smoker north to team up with lil bro and kick some butt (or at least smoke some butt) at his local BBQ comp. :strongbad: I'll let him oooh and awww over the UDS and then tell him Merry Christmas. Illinois can get brutal cold so now he'll be able to smoke year round. He kinda does now but that ECB takes way too much tinkering and pampering in the cold. Thanks for the insights, I'm sure I'll pick some more brains before this project gets finished. I think I'll play it safe on the basic logistics of the build and get the non welding UDS plans from Frank.

serenityhill

Post by serenityhill » June 28th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Insulation to help with cool-weather cooking (yea like I'd be concerned with that in 101F June...).

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » June 28th, 2012, 3:46 pm

serenityhill wrote:Insulation to help with cool-weather cooking (yea like I'd be concerned with that in 101F June...).
hahaha, I hear ya there! it's been a hot one here in MO so far!

@SoloQue, Sounds like a great build! I have thought about the overpack drum thing a few times. Great idea!

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » June 28th, 2012, 5:57 pm

I have checked with our purchasing agent. The overpack drums are now in excess of 300 ea. I jusy have to wait until one gets scuffed or dinged so that it no longeris considered viable for its purpose. No way am I going to shellout 300 just for a novel idea. For the moment I am content to tweek the new smoker. I'm working on some heat barrier ideas. If I can get these down to reality from my imagination I will whoop the temp swings big time. So far I am scheduled to work the next 16 days so no great opportunity for any long burn smoking.

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

Post by alleyrat58 » June 29th, 2012, 8:41 am

SoloQue wrote:I have checked with our purchasing agent. The overpack drums are now in excess of 300 ea. I jusy have to wait until one gets scuffed or dinged so that it no longeris considered viable for its purpose.
I have a hammer that could ding one of those - just saying... :huh: :oopssign:
:BDHorse:

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » June 29th, 2012, 9:43 am

I'll have the boys go by there and have a little talk with them. You want your scratches horizontal or vertical?

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » June 29th, 2012, 11:27 am

I'm working a deal with some of the warehouse guys. I told them a couple of nice scuffs from the towmotor blades is worth a slab of ribs each. Damn I hope they dont puncture every drum in the place, them boys love some Que :D

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » July 1st, 2012, 4:05 pm

Nice to have "friends" isnt it?

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Return to “UDS Smokers”