question(s) about two drums i bought

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
eldog73

question(s) about two drums i bought

Post by eldog73 » April 3rd, 2015, 3:04 pm

I bought two drums for a total of $50 and my fear is that i made a mistake. In my haste i didnt make sure they were food grade
one is an unlined drum that had hexane, the other is a thicker lined drum that once had icynene, had to travel an hour to possibly waste money.

are these lost causes? i know i would have to burn them out at least a couple times. I have already possible wasted money dont want to wast time. thanks for your help. i am in central North Carolina and the place i went was the only place i found. of course the guy said others had used them for cookers, but i am just concerned. thanks

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: question(s) about two drums i bought

Post by Big T » April 3rd, 2015, 7:00 pm

I'm not a chemist so I can't say for sure but if you burn the lined drum and then have it sandblasted it will probably be ok. The hexane from what I've read is used in edible oil extraction so I would think if you do a real hot burn on it, it would probably be ok also. I see people using oil drums after they've been burned out so I would think the same process would make your drums as "safe" to use as theirs. If it makes you feel any better, I don't know what was originally in my first barrel, it smelled like chemicals so I burned it out real hot and let it start to form surface rust and burned it again, took a wire wheel and cleaned it up real good. I haven't grown or lost any body parts to date so I guess it was "safe".

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

eldog73

Post by eldog73 » April 4th, 2015, 12:33 pm

thanks, i got the top off the unlined one. i think it will be fine once i do a burn out

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SmokinFF » April 4th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Burn them a couple times. Pallets make a good hot fire. Then give it a good scrubbin with comet and a coarse brush. Add a few parts, and you sir have a new cooker. :beer:

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » April 8th, 2015, 11:33 pm

FF is spot on with the comet tip. It works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!