My UDS build

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
KingSmoke
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

My UDS build

Post by KingSmoke » March 28th, 2017, 8:24 pm

Even before I got my current 18" WSM I wanted to build a UDS. I work at a chemical plant so I'm around drums every day. I talked to my boss recently and we were able to get our drum supplier to pick out some heavier walled drums and throw them on the truck after blasting.

Yeah I guess it's cheating a little bit since I didn't have to burn it out but oh well. These are reconditioned drums so the lids and mouths of the drums have been pressed to have a snug fit. This means the lid doesn't sit down flush easily and will have to be modified a little.

I have a Weber kettle I am sacrificing to use on this build. I am using the bottom of it for the top as I like the aesthetics better, plus the vents are already in place.

I got started on it today and got the lid tig welded on. I obviously still have a good bit to do but this is what I got done today. I plan on putting a hinge on it but haven't decided on what kind yet. I have one kettle cooking grate already and plan on adding another. I am still undecided on what I will make my charcoal basket out of. I am trying to do this build with materials I already have so ill have to be a little creative.
Attachments
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: My UDS build

Post by Big T » March 28th, 2017, 8:43 pm

It looks like you're off to a great start. I've seen some of the guys building the FB out of a metal 5 gallon bucket. They cut it off shorter and put a grate about 3 or 4 inches off of the bottom and drill a bunch of large holes in the upper section. You add a handle and you have a FB and ash pan all in one.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » March 28th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Big T wrote:It looks like you're off to a great start. I've seen some of the guys building the FB out of a metal 5 gallon bucket. They cut it off shorter and put a grate about 3 or 4 inches off of the bottom and drill a bunch of large holes in the upper section. You add a handle and you have a FB and ash pan all in one.
I like this idea. I may be able to get ahold of one.

I have the charcoal grate from the kettle. Right now I'm thinking of using it for the bottom and utilizing some scrap material I have available for the sides. I'll have to take a picture of it to show you guys what it is. It's a sheet of stainless about 1/8" thick that has had a bunch of pieces laser cut out of it. The cut pieces are 3/4" x 3ish" and they were spaced pretty close. The pattern and spacing is that of bar grating. A slip roller would make quick work of this stuff but I don't have one. I'll have to bend it up another way. It would also be really easy to bend it up into a 12" square basket too.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » March 29th, 2017, 4:13 am

Nice work dude, looks awesome so far! :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

KingSmoke

Post by KingSmoke » April 10th, 2017, 6:53 pm

Got some more done on the UDS today. This material is the skeleton of what's left of a sheet of 310 stainless. Normally it would be scrap, but I got ahold of it now. I'm going to use this stuff for the cooking grates on my big reverse flow I'm building also.

It's 14" tall and 12" square with a 2" gap at the bottom. I picked up a winco 80 quart stockpot lid for my ash pan and a pizza pan for a diffuser plate. I forgot to take pictures of that stuff but I will at some point. It's close to being usable but I still have a good bit to do. I have an old drum dolly hand truck that I will be welding to the smoker to make it mobile. I also still need to either buy or make a hinge.

I'd like to paint it a gloss gray color. How does engine enamel hold up on these things?
Attachments
IMG_97.jpg
IMG_98.jpg
IMG_99.jpg
IMG_100.jpg
IMG_101.jpg

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 10th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Nice FB :kewl: Engine enamel should be fine, my UDS isn't painted but the sides don't get extremely hot.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » April 10th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Nice work dude, very cool indeed. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » May 4th, 2017, 7:04 pm

That is a sweet fire basket.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 5th, 2017, 8:10 am

My drums were painted black from the factory as new drums, and the paint has been just fine. So it doesn't need to be high heat.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........