Rack bolts

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
Buckscent

Rack bolts

Post by Buckscent » July 16th, 2018, 4:26 pm

What is best or what is everyone using for bolts for the racks to sit on? Seems the only SS hex bolts I can fine are not threaded all the way. Been looking at 1/4-20 3”

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Rack bolts

Post by Dirtytires » July 16th, 2018, 9:35 pm

What are you building?

Sounds like a uds. Stainless really isn’t necessary, just fights off rust on the outside a bit...the inside is still gonna be black after a few smokes. Either weld some tabs inside or the above bolts should work just fine.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 17th, 2018, 7:51 am

1”x1/4”x20 works fine

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

bswisher
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by bswisher » August 2nd, 2018, 9:14 am

I recommend using the cheap shelf brackets from Lowes/HD etc. Just tack weld 3 of them to the inside of the drum. The actual shelf supports can be cut down to about 1 1/2-2 inches long and allows you to adjust the rack height as needed. Also makes it very easy to add additional racks. Not a great picture but you can see how i did it on mine.

Current Smokers, Brinkman ECB, Masterbuilt 30 Analog, SmokeHollow Pro44, Home Built 60gal RF, UDS

Nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous

Return to “UDS Smokers”