Tips, Tricks, Q and A for Cooking Techniques
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Smoked turkey legs

Post by Dirtytires » October 24th, 2018, 10:00 pm

I have been looking for a while now and finally found a supplier for turkey legs. Naturally, I bought a whole 30# case. They are the biggest turkey legs I’ve ever seen—I weighed a few random legs and they all tip the scale over 2 pounds.

I’m looking for any and all advice on smoking them. I came across an interesting recipe (on Amazing Ribs) that includes a 24 hour brine in Prague Powder before smoking naked. Says they come out as good as Disney’s. Anyone have any experience with it or an opinion of smoking them naked or putting on a rub?

Any other ideas? Thoughts? I’ve done chicken legs a bunch and while spatchcocked turkeys but never turkey legs so I’m open to ideas?

I’m under just a little pressure here as the entire neighborhood has heard about them already and I’m sure they will all be around on Sunday when the smoky scent starts to excape the backyard.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Re: Smoked turkey legs

Post by Dirtytires » October 24th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Just for grins, thought I’d share a picture of them since I know you are all doubting the size. They are in a deep standard size restaurant pan.
80A1412F-D99D-46B7-A2EB-DA4CFD81E5A0.jpeg

Stewart
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Stewart » October 25th, 2018, 2:25 am

You are in uncharted waters my friend. I'd do a half and half. Then you could get a feel for what worked best.

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: SmokinAddict

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » October 25th, 2018, 6:26 am

I've tried the Amazing Ribs recipe without the curing salt. Just brined them for 24 hours in 1 cup salt per gallon of water and whatever other spices you may like. They turned out great! Good luck.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » October 25th, 2018, 3:45 pm

You got this. Next day freight two of em to California so I can see how they came out

Baybum
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...but family can be harder than judges...

Post by Baybum » October 25th, 2018, 5:41 pm

2lbs each!?!?! Where do you find pterodactyl legs in Phoenix.

When I nod my head, hit it!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 25th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Turns out I have a friends that works for a restaurant food supply company. He was able to find them on his order sheet and had them shipped, frozen, to his office. The tag on the case said product of California. Funny thing is he said they are a by-product so are not always available. Seems summer fairs up thru thanksgiving then they are not back till summer again. I figure I have about 3-4 weeks to test them out and then get another case ordered before fall sets in.

But yea, no joke, I pulled out 3 random legs and all were slightly over 2 lbs. That pan measures 21x13 and is 6 inches deep. They go on the smoker Sunday so you all have till Sat morning to give me options/advice or they go in the brine and then a light dusting with poultry rub I make.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 29th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Well, did the turkey legs. They went into the cure for 24 hours and were then rinsed. I put a little olive oil and a light dusting of my poultry rub. They then went on the smoker at 240-250 for about 3 hours and 160 internal.

The recipe/article stated they would turn out just like Disney’s turkey legs and have a consistency of ham. Not ever having a Disney leg I can’t compare it but they did taste exactly like a smoked ham. Unfortunately, I guess I like turkey legs to taste like turkey legs and ham to taste like ham. They had good flavor and were super juicy but I won’t make again with the cure.

I’ve got 10 more legs and will do the next batch with just a rub to see what happens. No big deal, that is why we experiment!

Not much for pictures but the first is after the cure and the second is after the smoke.
The attachment 3F1D68BE-1258-43EE-90CF-9AEDC8CE31B0.jpeg is no longer available
A5A7D4E5-9A84-442D-A00B-5039AE9709E9.jpeg

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 29th, 2018, 5:54 pm

FE5353AB-C493-4F0C-9A92-7838E9BB8006.jpeg
Sorry, this one didn’t stick so I’ll post it separately. I experimented with removing the skin on some and doing some without rub as well.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 29th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Did the skin tighten up or was it rubbery ? There was a vendor at the county fair that was selling smoked turkey legs, the skin was removed and a light coat of rub was applied. They had a pretty good flavor but they were over cooked in texture. I think they would've been great if he would've pulled them when they hit temp.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 29th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Outside was tough-with or without the skin. Again, I blame the cure. I used the prague#1 on a pork belly a while back and wanted to experiment with the legs. I pulled at exactly 160...per my thermapen.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Smoked turkey legs

Post by Rodcrafter » October 30th, 2018, 7:13 am

Stick burners tend to over smoke poultry in my experience. I'm fine with it but the general rule is that's what non smokers say. I started a couple of years ago combining smoking turkey and deep frying it. I take it to about 125* then drop it in the oil to finish it off. It seems to be a hit with the folks. We get the skin crisp and the smoke flavor but not too much. I'll see if I can find proof. Ok here is the pics.

IMG_2218.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » October 30th, 2018, 11:19 am

I don’t mind the smoke....and usually dont eat the skin anyway so crisp is not an issue.

Good thoughts tho....maybe I could paper wrap them to help out a bit.

Heatermeter builder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Heatermeter builder » October 30th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Every year, at our state fair, Turkey legs are a big hit. So, my grandmother needed a leg fix and I also tried one and I couldn't stand the hammyness of them. I too want my Turkey to taste like Turkey.

If you would like information about building your own heatermeter or having someone build one for you, feel free to ask any questions you may have.