Cook Picana, Picanha, Culotta--Fat Side Up for flavor!!!-- under the fire?

Tips, Tricks, Q and A for Cooking Techniques
LeonardK
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Leonard

Cook Picana, Picanha, Culotta--Fat Side Up for flavor!!!-- under the fire?

Post by LeonardK » January 10th, 2019, 1:47 am

Hi
I saw this youtube video "Sous Vide TRI-TIP vs PICANHA - Is Tri-Tip Picanha WHAT!- Sous Vide Everything" discussing difference between Tri-Tip and the Brazilian Picana which is described as the place where the cow is branded, typically half the price of Tri-Tip, has 1 centimeter layer of fat that you leave on cook it with. In America it is said most of our meat markets/butchers divide this piece of meat up between other cuts but sometimes you can find it. Picana may be a kind of sleeper not known to most people and I'm looking for it to be almost as good as filet minon and surely better than Tri-Tips.

I called one of our markets here in Corpus Christi and they have it for $3/lb !!!!! Tri-Tip is about $8 or $9/lb.

Now we know flavor comes from the fat, but that most like to cook with the fat side facing the fire, OK in a lot of smokers this means the fat will not course thru the meat and give it all that good flavor that it could.

BUT, in a gravity feed smoker, there is 7 or 8 inches under the heat diffuser where a rack slot could be placed like 6" below possible variance to 3" manipulating your rack to top of slot right side up or in slot upside down.

If needed then, an additional heat shield/grease shield could be placed over your meat (just a metal plate) which here would be fat side up to see if this rendered thru the meat and left a better flavor.

Has anyone tried this? Think it would work good? When you put it above you put the fat side down and it just renders off the meat, not thru it. If this worked good maybe a GF smoker could have like 10" below the diffuser to cook there too, fat side up. And to further help this work, tighten up using a metal plate baffle on the middle to make more heat/smoke work on the under-side of the diffuser for fat-side up cooks.

Any thoughts? Anyone done this?

Picanha, Picana, Culotta Brazilian 1.png

Leonard
Last edited by LeonardK on January 10th, 2019, 3:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

LeonardK
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Leonard

Re: Cook Picana, Picanha, Culotta fat side up under heat diffuser in a Gravity Feed Smoker?

Post by LeonardK » January 10th, 2019, 2:03 am

Here's the video about this interesting piece of meat and from where I got the idea I want to cook it fat side up under the fire

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr08FNwxumc[/youtube]

Leonard

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Cook Picana, Picanha, Culotta--Fat Side Up for flavor!!!-- under the fire?

Post by Dirtytires » January 10th, 2019, 10:59 am

I cook fat side down to protect bottom from burning. The fat-cap is not going to melt and run thru the meat either way so I tend to trim 95% off of any piece of meat before I cook it.

Before you spend a lot of time re-designing your smoker, just throw one on and see.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: Cook Picana, Picanha, Culotta--Fat Side Up for flavor!!!-- under the fire?

Post by Pete Mazz » January 11th, 2019, 7:00 am

The fat-cap is not going to melt and run thru the meat either way so I tend to trim 95% off of any piece of meat before I cook it.
:yth:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators