Share your recipes or request others.
SoloQue
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Irv's Smokehouse

Lookin for a few good men

Post by SoloQue » December 1st, 2012, 4:35 pm

Several of my regular sauce customers have been hitting me up to make a "Carolina Style" BBQ sauce. To be honest I have never tried any that someone else has made so I feel like I am flying a bit blind. I did see the other thread and at least I believe I am keeping true to the concept of that style as it is mustard/vinegar based with no tomatoes at all. I've made a test batch and it is passable enough to take it to the next level. If anyone is interested in being a guinea pig and offering genuine feedback I should have 12 oz samples bottled and ready by the end of next week, I just have to swing by and pick up some cases of jars. Send me a PM with your address and I'll handle the rest. I'm only bottling about a dozen so first come basis not that I think there will be much of a line. :D

As always thanks in advance for whatever comments you can offer.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

maccas66
Expert
Expert
Title: Aussourian Plumber
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Lookin for a few good men

Post by maccas66 » December 1st, 2012, 5:09 pm

Send mine too DC, he wouldn`t ask for himself! x_x

" I`m so hungry, I`m farting fresh air!"

Jethro1
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Got twins nuff said.
BBQ Comp Team Name: Door Yahd BahBQ.

Post by Jethro1 » December 1st, 2012, 9:57 pm

I'm game. My close friend has done very well at comps for years and makes his own stuff. I'll get him to try it. I'll p.m. you my address. Thanks.

Father of crazy twin boys.

CarolinaQue
beginner
beginner

Post by CarolinaQue » December 1st, 2012, 11:15 pm

Not sure I agree with your "no tomato" idea for Carolina style sauce. In North Carolina, you have 2 variations, one with out any tomato...Eastern Carolina, and one with tomato...Piedmont style. ANd then, you get into South Carolina, and you find mustard based sauces. But I'm game to try it. I know a thing or 2 about BBQ sauces. But just curious, what is phase 2 of this process? Bottling to sell...test phase???

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » December 2nd, 2012, 8:51 am

CarolinaQue wrote:But just curious, what is phase 2 of this process? Bottling to sell...test phase???
I've been putting together a small line of sauces that friends and family have been buying off of me for years. When I come up with a new one I usually bottle up enough to get it into the hands of a dozen or so impartial volunteers just to make any final tweeks. The eventual goal is to some day see these on the shelf but for now its my hobby and I'll call phase 2 the guinea pig phase. As for this go round I have always associated Carolina style with Mustard just based on what I've heard so perhaps I will just label this as "Tangy" instead of Carolina since it sounds like I would only be partially correct at best. Thanks for the input. At worst I'm out some postage and materials and I get to hear from some new taste buds.

If it can't be smoked .... try frying it. It that don't work, it's probably best just left alone

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » December 2nd, 2012, 9:05 am

Solo I want me some I am just down the road, i need to swing by anyway and get directions to those cheap tool boxes

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

CarolinaQue
beginner
beginner

Post by CarolinaQue » December 2nd, 2012, 6:17 pm

Solo...please don't missunderstand me. There are a few well known sauces in NC like Carolina Gold that have a mustard base. It isn't completely unheard of. But you tend to find them closer to the NC/Georgia?South Carolina border area and along the NC/SC border ont he western side of the state. But, the prominent flavors for NC style sauce is normally the vinegar/apple cider based, or a similar mix with a little tomato product such as ketchup added. I even have a mustard based sauce that I use as a marinade and put on 'que from time to time. What other style sauces do you make? I may be interested in a straight up trade of different styles.

Tim

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » December 2nd, 2012, 8:47 pm

CarolinaQue wrote:What other style sauces do you make?
Best description of my original sauce would be sweet heat. It all started with good ole "regular" that I've made since 83' when I was in college. Since then I modified it with a few peppers to have "Spicy" for my friends back around 2005. Finally, back in 2009 I put together "Fire Alarm", a crazy hot version designed for my brother and his in-laws. I continue to be amazed at just how many folks enjoy the Fire-Alarm as it is just too dang hot for my tastes. I also have a hot sauce which might better be called a pepper salsa, some of the guys on here gave it a taste test a few months back and overall the feedback was thumbs up. In a perfect world my bonus this year will let me get the Regular on grocery shelves without going into debt and then I'll just work in the others as sales permit. BTW, I have a habit of writing paragraphs when a sentence will do. :D

painer
beginner
beginner
Title: BBQ Rookie

Post by painer » December 5th, 2012, 12:18 am

Solo, I live right next to you and am doing a couple butts to break in a new smoker I bought today. I would love to try some on one of them and get back to you.

New to the more competitive style of barbecue but have been a fan for ages.
Located in central Alabama.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » December 5th, 2012, 8:11 am

maccas66 wrote:Send mine too DC, he wouldn`t ask for himself! x_x
I would ask for myself.....and you got something against the Carolina's? :huh:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » December 8th, 2012, 10:33 am

Ok guys I managed to knock out a dozen or so bottles of the "Mustard" sauce and got everything boxed up. I just wanted to say thanks for risking your taste buds and hopefully you will find some redeeming qualities to go along with any suggestions. I will say that I just don't know about the thickness so if you think it is off just add that to the list. As for the flavor profile, that's what its all about so I'll accept any and all responses. I went ahead and made this a 2013 tribute package so there are also bottles of my Regular and Spicy, these 2 recipes are locked in stone but if you want to comment they are fair game as well since it is always good to hear how different regions view flavor combinations. Everything was shipped by slow camel to cut down on costs but I'm confident the boxes will get there soon. Mac, yours is taped to the back of a large turtle that looked to be drifting in your direction. No worries it should get there eventually and this stuff has a great shelf life. :D

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » December 8th, 2012, 10:44 am

Quooole! :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 8th, 2012, 4:04 pm

Awesome !!! LOL at the slow camel.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 8th, 2012, 6:02 pm

A drifting turtle. =))
Solo, I think the "sauce" maybe getting to ya! :P

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » December 8th, 2012, 7:40 pm

:wtf: ....turtle....... =))

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert

Post by SmokinFF » December 9th, 2012, 10:21 am

Let's just hope the camel doesn't take a turn for the big sand box first. The shelf life may expire by then. :beer:
And good luck on the turtle Mac. :kewl:

Current Smokers: Junk Char Griller, Mini UDS (Hydrant build), UDS (Bud Select can)

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 9th, 2012, 11:46 am

Awesome Solo! Sorry just now getting to this thread! Got 3 pages behind on unread posts....
anyway, very intersting on all the different styles of "Carolina Sauce". Having never been there myself, sounds like it is a very diverse style of BBQ in that region.
I will hit ya up next time for a sample!

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » December 14th, 2012, 8:00 am

Word on the street is that the camels are making a push for their destinations. I'm just gonna request that feedback on the mustard sauce covers salty, sour, sweet levels as well as overall flavor and performance. At least if it is determined that this stuff is in the ballpark I have specific ingredients to account for those traits. Thanks again! OH .. Mac .. that turtle was spotted near the Phillipines .. so maybe your inline for a New Year's smoke

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 14th, 2012, 8:50 am

Got mine today Solo! did the finger taste last night and everybody loved them. the mustard flavor is a keeper for sure!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 14th, 2012, 6:25 pm

Got mine today Solo! I will give it a try this weekend.

wsiddoway
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: new member

Post by wsiddoway » December 14th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Got mine and I did the same as frank love the mustard sauce doing some turkeys tomorrow for a party I will take the sauce with me and let you know what everyone thinks

gatewood iron
Expert
Expert
Title: Savant of some sort

Post by gatewood iron » December 14th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Got mine today. The salt,sweet,and tart all taste evenly right off the bat. The second taste is pepper with a delayed heat. My wife says it is the GRANDMONIER of bbq sauce. I don't know what that is but it must be great because she can't keep her finger out of the bottle. I'll let you know how it works on cooked meat after this weekend.

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » December 14th, 2012, 6:59 pm

gatewood iron wrote:My wife says it is the GRANDMONIER of bbq sauce.
:D That's pretty cool. Thanks

SoloQue
Expert
Expert

Post by SoloQue » December 20th, 2012, 8:12 pm

If you sent me an address and have not yet received your box could you either post here or drop me a PM. It looks like the USPS is only running about 66% delivery based on current comments, sadly this just might be their usual performance. If this is the best they can do I need to pencil in time to have a serious talk with the local office. I have 3 sets left if anyone is feeling left out :D TQ, you've had all my regular flavors already so I have a single Mustard set aside if you ever make it over this way, or kick me an address either way.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » December 20th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Mine just arrived so maybe 67%?

AND THANK YOU!

We'll get into them over the holidays - I'll solicit opinions from everyone... :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)