You could smell the mailbox from 10 feet away

Share your recipes or request others.
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

You could smell the mailbox from 10 feet away

Post by Puff » May 16th, 2015, 5:35 pm

My Dink's rub order arrived today. Because we live in a rural area I have to drive out to the end of the road to bring the trash and pick up the mail. As I drove out to the mailbox and approached it there was a very strong aroma of chili powder. When I opened the door the box was there and the scent permeated the air completely.

I hate to think what the post office police must be thinking :) . This rub smells wonderful I can't wait to try it

....by the way you will need to get rid of the box are they scent will linger throughout your house... Or then, maybe not.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: You could smell the mailbox from 10 feet away

Post by Rodcrafter » May 16th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Puff,
You should use it on this, I did it was great!

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/tex ... carne.html

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 16th, 2015, 8:10 pm

RC, would you just use the rub instead of all the spices or...use the spices listed with Dinks chili powder? Got a few of them here.. What a great aroma

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 16th, 2015, 8:53 pm

I used his chili powder where it called for chili powder. And I followed direction better than I normally do. It was great, don't forget the add ons.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 16th, 2015, 9:48 pm

Thanks, will be trying that One for sure. Also just read his article on 25 top BBQ joints in and around Austin Tx. It is 10:47pm and I'm ready to go start the fire! Makes you want to travel to Austin for 2 weeks just to sample them all.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 17th, 2015, 7:57 am

I will meet you the for the 4th of July holiday.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 17th, 2015, 8:12 am

:kewl:

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » May 18th, 2015, 12:28 pm

Puff, would you mind posting the link to the top 25 places around Austin? I would like to read. I live 25 miles out of Austin and have ate at nearly all the BBQ joints… with the exception of Franklin's just can't find the time to stand in line.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 18th, 2015, 4:34 pm

I hope we aren't breaking any rules : http://amazingribs.com/one_nation_under ... becue.html

It was great reading and quite inspiring..!

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » May 18th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Thanks Puff... if we did break a rule... I will take the heat for it. :explode2:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 18th, 2015, 10:09 pm

Wood or charcoal ? By the way.....save me a few snack samples.... It's a rare day I can make it out to Austin one last time! Are you familiar with any of those? Had you been to any or never hear of any. .

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » May 20th, 2015, 9:15 am

Puff, wood of course… I am a stick burner at heart.

I have blessed 15 of the 25 with my presence. I am going to show my age here…

Here are some of my comments on some from the list… in no particular order.

(1)Coopers – I have been eating at coopers for over 30 years. They are unique in the fact that you order right off the pit and you tell them how much of each item you want and then they dunk it in a vinegar based sauce right there at the pit. Then you take it inside and they cut it up into pieces for you to eat. My favorite is their pork chops they are about 3 ½ inches thick.

(3&6) Rudy’s – is a chain that started down outside of San Antonio in a little town called Leon Springs. I have eaten at the original along with the 2 listed it the article and a host of others. It is probably the best chain BBQ I have ate. They are expanding… you might have one next door soon.

(5) County Line BBQ – is another local Texas chain and probably my least favorite.

(12&13) Southside BBQ and Meyers – Both of these are in the town I live in. So I have eaten at each several times, but must say that Southside is my favorite, and probably eat there once a week. I like their sausage (or Hot Gut as they refer to it) the best, and they also do a smoked pork steak (not a chop) that is thin, but really good. They both sell their sausage in the local grocery store… I am happy to ship you some if you want to try at some point.

(14&11) Louie Mueller’s and John Mueller’s – John is Louie’s son and worked at Louie’s for years, but I guess as all sons think… he thought he could do it better. John’s place is no longer open, but Louie’s is and they serve good central Texas BBQ.

(18,19,20,&21) I will refer to as Lockhart BBQ in general. I have had all of them, in fact… I ate at Kruez market when it was still located at Smitty’s. They all have their secret recipe for their sausage, but I think the secret leaked, I don’t think in a blind taste test even they could tell the difference, with the exception of Black’s that has a little more pepper than the others. I refer to this sausage as central Texas sausage; even Southside has the same flavor profile. My favorite is Kruez, and I generally get to eat over there about once a month.

(24)Salt Lick is quickly growing as a chain… I travel for a lot for work and I have seen Salt Lick BBQ in at least 4 airports. That seems to be their mode of expansion. For me they are unique in the fact they have a different BBQ sauce. The original is about 30 miles outside of Austin, and it is in a dry county so you have to bring your own Beer. It has become more about the adventure than the BBQ.

I didn’t mean to go all BTU on you… :D :D

forty_creek
Expert
Expert
Title: 40 Ways 2 Kansas

Post by forty_creek » May 20th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Thanks bbroper and puff for sharing. If you can find time franklins brisket is unbelievable IMO. The wait is only getting worse. 3 yrs ago. Arrived at 8. We were 22nd in line. Some friends went this past fall. They arrived at 7 and were 20 somtg in line. You can order take out. We took beer and just started drinkin early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRANKIN, SMOKIN and DREAMIN

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » May 20th, 2015, 3:21 pm

Forty I want to go but I would have to go on a Saturday and I hear the line starts extra early on Saturdays. But drinking beer at 8 am sure makes me re think it. I am always up for beer drinking.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 20th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Bbroper... I loved your review. Thanks for taking the time to detail those places. I highly respect the opinion of someone who can go through all the special points of a review like this.

The closest I come these days is Travel channel or Food network and the like. I had to go near Waco twice ...several years ago to pick up trucks for my company. They wanted $2200. For delivery. On each one. I took a friend of mine I ride with and hopped on Amtrak for three days ( FIRST CLASS , ever been in a cabin like a storage closet before? ) from Trenton, NJ to Chicago and then Dallas. Rental car to Waco. Foolishly saved about $1200 on each trip but we had a bunch of fun. The shower was almost 2x2' square.

Not to deviate much but....we had stopped in Knoxville, TN for the night. We had smelled the most incredible steaks I'd ever smelled cooking in walking distance. . . .we'd been on a train 3 days, on the road a full day and looked like hell from the wear and tear. We walked into this place and the girl said about a two hour wait.... We looked at each other and left. We get outside and again the smell of these steaks was fabulous so we went back in and figured we'd wait. The girl said... You can go to the bar and eat if a table clears out...no waiting there

I can only describe us as " motorcycle enthusiasts " so the look may have had something to do with this but...my friend goes over to this table of three guys filled with empty beer bottles and says....you guys are done right? " oh yes we are" ...They got up, we sat down had had a great steak dinner after 4 days on the road.

We are probably close in age if you've been going there for 30 years. For me, it's one reason I need a smaller GRavity Feed. I can't budge my current one.

I don't know if I can drink beer any more at 7am...those days are long gone :beer:

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » May 21st, 2015, 7:45 pm

Puff, I can say I have never spent 3 days on an Amtrak train… and if that is first class I am not sure I would want to see coach.

I am glad you enjoyed my review… I am by no means a writer, I am however blessed to live in the Heart of Texas BBQ country. I must also say that through my travels, I have eaten BBQ from coast to coast, and probably since I grew up eating Texas BBQ it is by far my favorite.

I spend a lot of time in Cincinnati, due to it being the home office for the company I work for, and there is a place up there that is famous for BBQ, and I almost can't eat it. The Brisket is oven cooked with liquid and no smoke, but they all think it is great, so I know for some it is what you get use to eating.

If you ever make it to Central Texas and want to do the BBQ crawl… Let me know, I know of a couple of other places not on that list that are outstanding… You have to get there early, but the line is usually short.

I hear you on the beer drinking at 7am… I have some friends that are big hog hunters, and in Texas it gets so hot that in the summer you have to start hunting at about 3 to 4am so the dogs don't get too hot… I admit when you get up at 2 am to meet at 3am and chase dogs through the woods for 4 hours a beer at 7am taste pretty good… but I think that is the only way I could start that early. :beer:

I think we have gone off topic on this one.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 21st, 2015, 8:57 pm

Ha... I know that crew... They are here where I live and in Vermont where I lived before this place, those moose and deer hunts are the same way...except for the heat! It's such a great way to enjoy life instead of the rat race in metropolis. Coach on Amtrak is a seat....

Thank you so much for the great offer. Unfortunately I am working harder in the last 6 months than I had in the last 15 years and I can't keep up as well. I am very grateful that when I go to bed at night I can wake up much more refreshed and less achy. Just hope that works that way for another 30 years but I see my mom proving that it ain't so.

As for growing up with Texas BBQ...that had to be great....
if you want to know anything about Brocolli Rabe, marinara sauce or spaghetti with garlic and oil, let me know. :D it was a VERY Italian household

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » May 21st, 2015, 9:04 pm

Puff- you need to write a book! I cudnt fit in a 2/2 shower. 6' 1" @ 300#s per doc scales yester and it ain't all muscle. Wasn't a good visit...but damn I like to eat

Bbroper- they start taking orders in line before they open the door. We all ordered. I got inside. The butcher asked my order I told him. Didn't look like enuff meat (brisket). I asked for more. I didn't take into account how thick the slices were. Could have been the beer goggles... 4 of us split a case. Really 3. Plus ordered beer while in line. They serve beverages in the line. Anyway my cousins food, drink and shirt cost like $40. My food and drink was $50. I cleaned my plate. Way too much food. But I didn't waste any. We stayed at a motel 6 under the interstate. Went to room afterwards. I think I literally went into a diabetic coma. I was freakin miserable. Two guys went out and about town. My cousin beat on the door and woke me up at 6PM. He thgt I had died. I didn't eat until the next day at noon at the city market in luling. I ordered way less.
I used to drink regularly but I have slowed way way down for years.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 21st, 2015, 9:13 pm

Forty_creek...

The shower was ridiculous and could not use it? I've got enough of "ain't muscle" here too. also 6' ...235!

Those are expensive lunches. AND, they started at breakfast. Like to eat? I'm standing next to you in that line so don't move too slowly

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » May 22nd, 2015, 9:20 am

I am with you on liking to eat… 6'1" 250 and it is also not muscle. Forty, I guess I am going to have to gather up some buddies and strong arm them to stand in line… Maybe if I buy the beer. :beer:

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » May 22nd, 2015, 10:36 am

It's not that expensive really. I way over ordered. From what I've read and been told he buys top quality briskest. He just doesn't sell the at a high price. That's trick IMO. But to serve 1200-1300 pounds of brisket a day. The consistency is ridiculous. Now it's not going to wow you with seasoning. He uses salt and pepper only allegedly no injection. I prefer a lil heat. But his brisket is ridiculously good! The quality is what amazed me and buddies.
Bbroper- it will be worth it...IMO
We had planned a 3 day bbq crawl. Franklins for lunch, the original salt lick for dinner on Friday, Kreutz, blacks and city market on Saturday. We released as much as we love bbq we cudnt do it as planned. We hit franklins and city market. I wanta go hit blacks. Beef ribs is something I struggle with getting right. I wanta try there's.

forty_creek
Expert
Expert

Post by forty_creek » May 22nd, 2015, 10:37 am

Maybe it's the post oak they use in the area also... Never seen so much post oak in my life.

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » May 23rd, 2015, 8:43 pm

Yes we have tons of post Oak here. It and Blackjack Oak is all I use, when smoking. I am lucky enough to own some acreage so I am not in short supply of post Oak.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 23rd, 2015, 9:25 pm

That's how it is here too. We have acreage and it is all tree covered...white oak, red oak and post oak. The hurricane in 2012 knocked over about 10 or so around the house so there is now several cords of split and dried oak around the woods. These are not small trees. The yield of wood from cutting is huge
image.jpg
. I might add, freakin' heavy too!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 23rd, 2015, 10:02 pm

Puff, I think you could've fit a couple more pieces on there. =))

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Recipes”