Bacon cure recipe wanted

Share your recipes or request others.
resquecfd

Bacon cure recipe wanted

Post by resquecfd » April 25th, 2019, 5:50 am

I just bought 43 lb of pork belly looking for a wet cure preferably maple syrup. I'm looking to cure this in a 5 gallon bucket in the fridge instead of putting it in Ziploc bags. If anybody has a recipe that I can use to make a brine for this I would really appreciate it thank you

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Bacon cure recipe wanted

Post by Dirtytires » April 25th, 2019, 10:27 am

I have done bacon quite a bit and have a good recipe. Unfortunately, it will be Sunday till I get to it. It does call for real maple syrup, brown Sugar, pepper and a a few other things I can’t remember. Ive made a bunch of it for gifts and such and always get a great response.

A few thoughts tho. Mine uses minimial liquid so zip locks are a must. I got some 2 gal bags from a restaurant supply and they fit an entire belly without cutting. Way worth the money. My info specifically recommended against buckets and tubs as the brine needs to contact the meat evenly.

You will need Prague powder #2 for this one. It is not easy to find locally and I had to order on line. This is also the reason for the bags. You need to mix up the powder for each slab/bag based on the weight and thickness of the slab. You will need an accurate meat scale for this (to weigh both the meat and powder).

If you are able to wait or have specific questions, pm me and I’ll get you the recipe.

resquecfd

Post by resquecfd » April 25th, 2019, 10:53 am

Dirtytires wrote:I have done bacon quite a bit and have a good recipe. Unfortunately, it will be Sunday till I get to it. It does call for real maple syrup, brown Sugar, pepper and a a few other things I can’t remember. Ive made a bunch of it for gifts and such and always get a great response.

A few thoughts tho. Mine uses minimial liquid so zip locks are a must. I got some 2 gal bags from a restaurant supply and they fit an entire belly without cutting. Way worth the money. My info specifically recommended against buckets and tubs as the brine needs to contact the meat evenly.

You will need Prague powder #2 for this one. It is not easy to find locally and I had to order on line. This is also the reason for the bags. You need to mix up the powder for each slab/bag based on the weight and thickness of the slab. You will need an accurate meat scale for this (to weigh both the meat and powder).

If you are able to wait or have specific questions, pm me and I’ll get you the recipe.
I'm in no rush to do this so I can wait. I have the bags and cure also. I'm going upstate ny for Turkey next week so I'm planning on picking up local maple syrup there. Thanks for your help and when u get a chance I'd love the recipe.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

Enrgizerbunny
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Enrgizerbunny » August 13th, 2019, 4:00 am

I am also interested. My dad is on a quest to recreate the bacon his dad made as a kid and can't find a producer that puts enough smoke on it without the salt.

Thane2015
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Thane2015 » October 25th, 2019, 2:06 pm

i would really like to see the recipe to if you don't mind.

my dad tells stories of when he was a kid helping his dad butcher pigs they used to smoke bacon in 5 gal barrels. they would take the belly right off the pig drop it in a barrel on a hook with coals on the bottom. listening to him talk about it i have always wanted to try to make some.

Return to “Recipes”