Trying to decide on grating material

Any Accessories you can think of that you can build for your smoker or for cooking on your smoker.
raklor

Trying to decide on grating material

Post by raklor » February 22nd, 2019, 9:42 am

Helo all, first time posting, gathering parts for a new build and looking for a consensus. Im able to source for the low low price of free some stainless perforated plate that id like to use for grating but my concern is should i skip it due to it being more material less open air than traditional grating or expanded steel thus limiting smoke contact on the bottom of the meat. Ive included a picture with a work glove held up next to it for size refrence. Thanks for any input.

Also tossed in a picture of 2'x2'x7'x1/8" cabinets i plan on using for the shell of my smoker.
Attachments
0205192021a.jpg
0_1206181255.jpg

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Trying to decide on grating material

Post by towtruck » February 22nd, 2019, 10:49 am

That shelf material should be fine. The cabinets may prove hard to deal with if you start cutting into them and try to weld them back together.

Welcome!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 22nd, 2019, 5:00 pm

Personally, I’m not a big fan of punched plate. I’ve always felt it is a bit restrictive.

It’s hard to pass up free tho....shelves are pretty easy to re-skin, maybe try it and see how it runs.

raklor

Post by raklor » February 22nd, 2019, 7:43 pm

Still kicking things around on the cabinets. I have 2 of them, also free, and im considering using one as a main cook chamber for a horizontal reverse flow and carving the 2nd one up for parts. I need to get them gutted and moved into my garage this spring. Im considering pros n cons of door on top so it opens like a freezer chest vs door on side. I plan on using propane for heat source and insulating as well as putting frame on wheels so it could be taken to events if desired. I think i will try the punched plate and can always change it out later.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 22nd, 2019, 9:59 pm

Propane=bad

Be very careful with propane in a smoker. Most of us will not advise on it since it can be very dangerous in a tightly sealed smoker. And, for what it’s worth, a “smoker” on propane is just a gas grill in my opinion.