PID Controller Parts

Any Accessories you can think of that you can build for your smoker or for cooking on your smoker.
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

PID Controller Parts

Post by Puff » November 7th, 2014, 3:31 pm

PID Parts Nov 7 2014.jpg
This intrigued me the other day when Mikekiker had posted about setting one up. I had no clue what it even was but...this Internet thing seems to have more than enough answers. My gravity feed surprised me on its test run and I figured I would try to build one my self. Fortunately as a tinkerer in electronics, I can get something to fry.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Puff
Expert
Expert

Re: PID Controller Parts

Post by Puff » November 7th, 2014, 6:52 pm

As I get a little deeper into this project I am seeing several comments about temperature swings going over or under requested temp especially that the time it takes the blower to stop at "x" , the temp still climbs before stabilizing. Does anyone know if controlling the fire instead of the CC but with a wider range, might be better even though the range between on or off may need to be 100-200 degrees in the FB? The device and probes apparently can deal with up to 1000 degrees c.

Just found out that that temp is 1832 f in the real world

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » November 8th, 2014, 8:00 am

All the probes I've worked with (Maverick & Guru) burn out between 400 & 500F - practical experience. The computer flips to "HH" to indicate over-temp at about 411F on a Maverick if memory serves.

If you're concerned about overshoot then you need a check valve in the air line between the fan and the fire - i.e. open with fan running and closed when fan is off. When the circuit is happy with the temp and shuts the fan off, air is still being drawn around the fan blades a little allowing the temp to overshoot some. Closing down your stack some will help retard the natural convection "pull" of air through the system which would reduce how long it will coast upward on temp.

The action/reaction time is too long on an RF to use a PID of any kind I've ever heard of. The algorithm gets lost before anything happens.

PM me if you would like to dig deeper - that way we don't put these other guys to sleep …. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

DonaldE
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by DonaldE » April 29th, 2015, 7:32 am

you have already gone so deep in this project. must be an interesting project to work on

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Post by Pennywise » April 29th, 2015, 7:38 am

Please keep going Gizmo! I haven't figured out how to hack Puff's PM's yet.

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » April 29th, 2015, 11:42 am

Puff, did you do anything with these PID parts yet? Just wondering if you put them together yet and used it on a smoker yet. Would like to know to see if I could get a list from you on the parts to put together one for the mini gravity fed smoker that I will build once the plans come out. Thanks

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » April 29th, 2015, 7:39 pm

I will gather a list of stuff for you and pm it to you the next day or two. It is built, working as far as I have tested it and seems to be useable...

I assembled it to use on the Gravity Feed. However that smoker is behaving so nicely when I set the ball valve after warm up that I have not yet acquired the mount to attach it. Just doesn't seem that it needs one. That other post by DunnSmoke though addresses some really nice competitive uses. Besides, I spent $50.00 on the 2" ball valve... I do stupid things at times to spite my own thinking. There probably some psychology term for it but, Illegitimi non carborundum. ( The phrase originated during World War II. Lexicographer Eric Partridge attributes it to British army intelligence very early in the war. The phrase was adopted by US Army general "Vinegar" Joe Stillwell as his motto during the war.It was later further popularized in the US by 1964 presidential candidate Barry Goldwater.)

I don't really mind especially that I will be building that SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT SMALLER GRAVITY FEED that Frank will be posting shortly. The size of that ball valve will certainly be 1 1/2" and you know why.....it's because I'll have a spare 2" one. =))

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » April 30th, 2015, 6:06 am

Frank's ribs must be getting really sore by now..... :BDHorse:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » April 30th, 2015, 6:39 am

Oh....you picked up on that subtle hint?

Grabber70Mach
Expert
Expert

Post by Grabber70Mach » April 30th, 2015, 10:30 am

Why don't you post the list for all to see Puff? Is it Wi-Fi compatable?

From infinity and beyond.

Never argue with a Moron, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » April 30th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Gladly....when I was discussing this with another member, we felt it might be boring to others and kept it off.

I will resurrect the details and post it this weekend. Work has been a steady 70 hours a week for the last 5 weeks. The nice one by DunnSmoke is very cool

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » May 1st, 2015, 6:57 am

Puff wrote:Gladly....when I was discussing this with another member, we felt it might be boring to others and kept it off.

I will resurrect the details and post it this weekend. Work has been a steady 70 hours a week for the last 5 weeks. The nice one by DunnSmoke is very cool
If they find it boring, they shouldn't look! Between you and Pete most of the stuff you say is over my head, but I don't know what questions to ask until I see em!

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 1st, 2015, 6:19 pm

Shoot Pennywise,

Pete gets into those calculators and I start to zone out completely

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » May 1st, 2015, 6:28 pm

Puff, if I welded as much as I geeked out on those calculators I'd have finished my smokers years ago. :beer:

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » May 4th, 2015, 7:53 am

Pete Mazz wrote:Puff, if I welded as much as I geeked out on those calculators I'd have finished my smokers years ago. :beer:
If you didn't "geek out" on those calculators, I'd have made about 3 different errors in my build.

And Puff...I can't really follow him either, but he gets me the right answers, so...LOL!

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » May 4th, 2015, 3:39 pm

:kewl: :kewl: :kewl:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 4th, 2015, 7:23 pm

I'm gathering my parts together and will post this...sorry but work is really beating me up the last several weeks

Pennywise, you are absolutely right, I ve gotten a few calculations from our guys here that I'd never have found on my own, let alone get the right answers. If you have ever read about " The Peter Principle " it is that in a hierarchical society like ours... You will rise to a level of your own incompetence. Mine is mathematics.

If I were to be promoted in a job for good performance and I get promoted to a paperwork job and I can spell alphabetically...I might then get promoted to a job requiring organizational skills which I may suck at...

I have now risen in position to something I will probably fail at...bingo Peter Principle.

Thank goodness I work for myself I'd have been tossed out a long time ago

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » May 4th, 2015, 7:57 pm

Puff you crack me up. I was reading that post thinking doesn't he work for himself... promoted to something you will fail at.... you have to much perseverance to fail. Just look at all the smokers you have built. :D

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 4th, 2015, 8:09 pm

Thats the anger inside that drives me. ...haha. Thanks for the nice comment however

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 17th, 2015, 9:48 pm

Sorry to have forgotten about this but this is the diagram I'd used to wire up the pid controller. I've still not used it as the $50.00 ball valve is now mounted and works so predictably I see no reason for me currently, to change it.
image.jpg
Important to use a K type thermocouple

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 18th, 2015, 7:33 am

Nice job Puff, we should make this thread an "sticky".

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » May 18th, 2015, 4:27 pm

I guess Then I should really try it on the smoker and see that it works !... The issue here is that I DONT THINK IT NEEDS ONE for my kind of cooking.

RC, the thing is so happy and stable. . . I started to control temps with a splitting wedge stuck into the air intake to basically reduce air flow in. The ball valve obviously gives it much more flexibility but I can set it and forget it, as they say. For anyone who really cooks and uses a GF a lot, this design is near flawless. you don't need much more to run it

Return to “Smoker Accessories”