Small offset, would this be efficient?

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
ProfanityTX
beginner
beginner

Small offset, would this be efficient?

Post by ProfanityTX » October 10th, 2018, 11:03 pm

I am looking into buying a smoker from a custom builder in my area, here is a small offset smoker i am interested in. I just wanted to know what yall's thoughts/concerns/recommendations would be for something like this and if you think it would be a decent backyard smoker?
Attachments
42898058_1882180348530836_8667830150399787008_n.jpg
42878877_1882183285197209_9076884008196898816_n.jpg
42785586_1882180618530809_2961379130253246464_n.jpg

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Small offset, would this be efficient?

Post by Dirtytires » October 11th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Nice grill. Not convinced it’s going to smoke too well tho.

This is a completely opposite kind of unit from what you showed us last time. Maybe we should back up a second and find out what you want to do with your unit. Do you want to smoke or grill (I’m convinced you can’t do both efficiently in the same unit)? How many people do you want to feed and how much effect do you want to put into the cooking? What do you cook on now and what are it’s stregnths and weakness? What fuel are you wanting to run? How bout a rough budget?

We have all be in a position where we knew we wanted something but didn’t know what that something was. We can get you there....

ProfanityTX
beginner
beginner

Post by ProfanityTX » October 12th, 2018, 8:54 am

Dirtytires wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 5:00 pm
Nice grill. Not convinced it’s going to smoke too well tho.

This is a completely opposite kind of unit from what you showed us last time. Maybe we should back up a second and find out what you want to do with your unit. Do you want to smoke or grill (I’m convinced you can’t do both efficiently in the same unit)? How many people do you want to feed and how much effect do you want to put into the cooking? What do you cook on now and what are it’s stregnths and weakness? What fuel are you wanting to run? How bout a rough budget?

We have all be in a position where we knew we wanted something but didn’t know what that something was. We can get you there....
Hello! Thank you for the reply.
As far as what i want to do with it, i just want a compact heavy duty smoker that would just be enough for my family, so maybe 2 racks of ribs or 2 chickens or 1 brisket (Not all at once). Custom is always nice to have since it is unique, the previous smoker i was asking about is just too much of a risk since everyone was unsure if it would work or not. This little one is just like an offset smoker (can be made into a reverse flow with a plate and a smoke pipe close to the fire box i think) so has a higher chance of working properly. The builder even asked if i would like anything changed or added for no charge. Right now i just use a 5 burner propane grill so it would be nice to have something i could snake some charcoal/wood chunks in and get that nice slow cooked smokey flavor,

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » October 12th, 2018, 11:13 am

I feel like someone is trying to reinvent the mouse trap here.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 14th, 2018, 1:30 pm

It doesn’t sound like you have a desire to build one. No problem, just remember custom does not always relate to efficient. Look at this site, you will find hundreds of guys that are having troubles with what they built...I’ve been one of them. I’m not saying your guy can’t build a quality smoker but I am always cautious when I see a unique build.

I ran for years on a small traditional offset. Taught me a lot about smoking. Can use splits in it but it was really happy with lump charcoal. Cabelas/Bass Pro often have some smaller units in stock (if you happen to live by one) that are fabricated from heavier steel but you can find them a lot of places.

A pellet grill might also fit your needs nicely. They are becoming more popular and much easier to find pellets for. Nice thing is that you set it and forget it but still are burning a real wood product.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 14th, 2018, 1:40 pm

:yth:

Go with something tried and true.

I'm building a one off unique unit and the troubles I am having getting it to work right are something I don't think you would want to go through. I'll get it right.....but if I were you I would buy a unit that is known to work. Have you seen his units cook?....watched the burn? I would want to see it before purchase.

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » October 15th, 2018, 1:04 pm

I would spend my money on a smoker that is more traditionally shaped and a little bigger, whether it's custom or not. I am not sure what that guy is charging, but I would imagine you could find something that has a normal design and a little more fire/cooking room in it for not much more (academy, buccees, ?) The unit in the picture above would probably be a great charcoal grill, and I recommend having a designated grill in addition to a smoker, because doing both on the same pit becomes a hassle.