Offset smoker and firebox size.

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Offset smoker and firebox size.

Post by Dirtytires » May 1st, 2020, 9:39 am

Interested to see how the clear holds up. I really like that look.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » May 1st, 2020, 10:35 am

Dirtytires wrote:Interested to see how the clear holds up. I really like that look.
I’ll post again after it’s had time to see a few fires and some weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » May 1st, 2020, 8:02 pm

Ran a fire for a couple hours to season it today. and some sausage cause I was hungry. Seems like it wants to hang around 250 which is good I guess. I did open the door a little more and it got a little closer to 300. I think it will work really good. Had a decent fire in it and temps seemed to be controllable.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 1st, 2020, 10:25 pm

If you were able to maintain 250 on your first burn then you shouldn't have any problems once you figure out how to dial it in. :beer:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » May 13th, 2020, 4:37 pm

I don’t have any air inlets on my fire box. I have been just adjusting the door opening. With the door opened about a quarter inch it seem to draw just a little bit not real hard. If I open the door about a half inch or more the smoke starts coming out of the firebox door. Do you guys think that about normal or should I add length to the stack to make it draw a little harder? Could it be bad to have to much draw?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 13th, 2020, 11:43 pm

If you sized your stack and firebox properly to match the cook chamber I wouldn’t mess with it.

The amount of air you allow the fire to have is used to control the fire size and therefore the temp in the cook chamber. The draft is pretty naturally caused as the heat wants to rise and therefore it runs thru the smoker to get out. The open door definitely decreases the efficiency as it allows heat to escape right out of the firebox and bypasses the cook chamber. A better way to get an efficient fire would be to install a couple of dampers at/below the fire level so the air gets sucked in and then has nowhere to go but up and out the chimney.

But to answer your question, as long as you are getting exhaust out your stack, you have draft. It really does not take much ‘smoke’ to flavor your meat so more draft is not necessarily important. Opening your door more will allow more air in but also more heat out (the door) and not necessarily help with draft at all....but only your experience will answer that.
Last edited by Dirtytires on May 14th, 2020, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » May 14th, 2020, 9:07 am

I guess it’s probably ok then. Even if I have the door wide open and a lot of smoke is coming out of the door there is still plenty coming out of the stack. I guess thats pretty good draft still. I probably need to play with my fire wood size and see what works best for an efficient fire and not a smoldering fire.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » May 14th, 2020, 10:36 am

ntjones wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:02 pm
Ran a fire for a couple hours to season it today. and some sausage cause I was hungry. Seems like it wants to hang around 250 which is good I guess. I did open the door a little more and it got a little closer to 300. I think it will work really good. Had a decent fire in it and temps seemed to be controllable.

Is this pic after you put the high temp clear coat on it?

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » May 14th, 2020, 12:10 pm

dacolson wrote:
ntjones wrote:

This is after the clear coat. It’s not real glossy but it’s a little glossy. I might put one more coat on it.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » May 14th, 2020, 12:19 pm

That looks awesome! Did you use the Rustoleum automotive paint? How was the prep and application process? Did you preheat, etc?

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » May 14th, 2020, 1:11 pm

dacolson wrote:That looks awesome! Did you use the Rustoleum automotive paint? How was the prep and application process? Did you preheat, etc?
It is rustolium. 2000 degree clear. I just used a wire wheel on a grinder to knock the loose rust off and then sprayed it. I didn’t spend much time on it at all. There was some grease around the door from were I cooked on it already. I just wiped it off and wire wheeled that part also. I did not pre heat. I just sprayed it on and then cooked on it like I would normally. I’m not sure how well it will work but I didn’t want to spent to much time on it. Time will tell though.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » May 14th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Looks great. Thanks for posting. You've got a sweet looking setup.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » May 14th, 2020, 4:52 pm

dacolson wrote:Looks great. Thanks for posting. You've got a sweet looking setup.
Thanks. This is my first build. I hope to build a lot more in the future. I wish I had more time to build. I’m a beginner but if there is any questions I can answer just let me know.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » May 14th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Just starting my second build. 1st post coming tonight. I agree - I wish I could work on it all week.

andysmoked
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by andysmoked » June 3rd, 2020, 8:59 pm

ntjones wrote:
dacolson wrote:
ntjones wrote:

This is after the clear coat. It’s not real glossy but it’s a little glossy. I might put one more coat on it.

Looks really good with the clear. Sort of like a Rat-Rod only a smoker.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » June 3rd, 2020, 10:35 pm

Ntjones, hows the clear holding up?

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » June 4th, 2020, 5:51 am

So far the clear is holding up. I’m pleased with it. I’ve only cooked about three time since I put the clear on though. If it starts looking bad I think I can just spray it again. I found the clear coat on amazon.

andysmoked
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by andysmoked » June 4th, 2020, 6:05 am

It does look very good with that “Rough around the edges” look. Please keep us posted with regard to the performance of the clear.

ntjones
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by ntjones » June 4th, 2020, 6:54 am

Thanks for the compliment. I’ll update on the clear coat. Soon I’ll ha e gas for my welder and I hope to make better looking welds. I built this smoker with flux core.

Brisket Envy
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Brisket Envy » September 27th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Turned out to be a great looking pit.
Very well done!

For me, the calculators stop working when you can’t use splits in the firebox.
A 14x20 FB can still work, because you can put 16” splits in sideways, and still have the log grate low enough on the FB.
The calculators quit working for me going in the large direction, when they recommend a FB larger than needed to sustain a fire sufficient to attain the desired temps.

EverydayDiesel
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by EverydayDiesel » November 21st, 2020, 2:12 am

alex_74 wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 10:57 am
At what point does the FB size calculator not work? According to the calculations I need a 20" round by 14" long FB. That seems small to me and maybe more of a hassle to get wookd in there. I just haven't seen many FB's under 20". Can I go bigger and stay under a certain size differential % or is going bigger not a good idea?
Did you build bigger? If so did you see any negative effects?