Help With Pricing

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Brisket Envy
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Help With Pricing

Post by Brisket Envy » September 2nd, 2020, 3:00 pm

I have an acquaintance who has a 500 gal tank, a 250, and a trailer.
He will furnish all of the steel for the project.
What is the $$ value of the labor involved in building a direct-flow smoker with 1/2 of the 250 for a firebox, mounted on a trailer?
He is having it built to sell.
I am old and slow, so charging by the hour is out of the question 😆. Sliding double racks, and probably a firewood bin.
I am retired, so my time is not worth all that much, but since he is having it built to sell, I wouldn’t mind actually making a few dollars on this one.

Thanks!!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Help With Pricing

Post by Big T » September 2nd, 2020, 8:31 pm

That's a tough call if you can't charge for your time that you invest in the project. You might come out better to negotiate a percentage of the sale price, especially since the time to build it could vary greatly depending on the spectrum of the build.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 2nd, 2020, 10:03 pm

Figure in your consumables cost, power bill, and some wear and tear on equipment. Ask for that money up front. Then negotiate for a % of the profits when it's sold.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 3rd, 2020, 10:29 am

Your time is worth something. As is the collection of tools, knowledge and materials you will undoubtedly pull from your own shop. I wouldn’t touch it for much less than $2000 but really would depend on the condition of the tanks and how much time it would involve for what he wants.

It is hard to price things out as a non-professional as we never think our time is not worth anything...but it is.

Brisket Envy

Post by Brisket Envy » September 3rd, 2020, 10:34 am

Thanks, Dirtytires.
You are right.
I tend to price things stupidly low, while watching others price their stuff stupidly high, and getting what they ask.
I guess there is truth in the notion that if we don’t value our time and years of experience, others won’t either.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » September 3rd, 2020, 4:34 pm

Re asking for a percentage of sale price, and DT's estimate:
You would definitely need to be able to trust him that he's not going to S@$&w you on telling you the final sale price if your are only getting a percentage..
When I went to a new doctor a few years ago, she told me, "two people you don't lie to, God and your Doctor."
I think she was just trying to make me laugh, which I did. She had a lot of balls though saying that with my old lady sitting next to me.. HA!
In the end you will be doing a LOT of work and you don't wanna feel like you gotten taken advantage of... No joy in that.
I have turned down many jobs from friends because I didn't wanna charge em' what I am worth. I have told them how many hours of labor it takes for a given job and then asked them how much they are willing to pay. It's easy that way to let them put a value on my time, skills, experience and machinery, non of which they possess. With this approach, I then could negotiate from there.. In reality, People in my neck of the woods settle for $300 Home depot smokers, and I have steered them in that direction, because I think they expect it cheaper from me after talking with them! Frank was saying on a recent Podcast that for his free plans, material alone is $1500. I am guessing that it'd take me probably 40-60 hours of labor to build a 24x48 stick burner RF, and maybe 10-20% less for an offset in my home shop. Most small shops around here charge between $75-$100 per hour, and the bigger Union shops $125-$150 per hour plus materials. So, I figure $50 and hour x 40 hrs is $2k @ 60 hrs labor $3K. I think DT is about right on his "guesstimate, and maybe a little low..
As a side point, I overheard one of our customers at work several years ago complain about our shop rate, and our estimator asked him, " how much does an automotive mechanic charge per hour? $125 Per hour at most places around here, all of our guys go through a minimum 5 years training plus welding school" We got that job, and the customer got the point.
In a sorta selfish way, I am kinda glad not many in my area are willing to pay that much for a smoker, and settle for cheap stuff, because they really get what you pay for. Those who pony up, and are willing to pay the price for a quality, well engineered cooker also get what they pay for. Quality cooks for a lifetime and likely their children's lifetime. My smokers will outlast me!! IMHO..

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

Brisket Envy

Post by Brisket Envy » September 3rd, 2020, 11:10 pm

Tinspark, well said.