First offset build! Have some questions.

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: First offset build! Have some questions.

Post by Rodcrafter » September 18th, 2020, 5:37 am

Big T and Pete,

Thank you guys, I missed you guys too. Have been doing a lot of work at my new home and took the manager position at work so I have been distracted you might say.

I always have enjoyed being a part of this group.

:kewl: :kewl: :kewl: :kewl: :kewl: :kewl: :kewl: :kewl: :kewl:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » September 18th, 2020, 8:31 am

I have been told that I need to make a big, hot fire in the empty tank to burn it out after I get the doors cut out. Is this recommended here?

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 18th, 2020, 9:02 am

I would for sure. You’ve probably still got traces of mercaptan/propane in there. We’re you planning on stripping the paint? A hot fire helps loosen it all. I’ve built a log fire and I’ve used a propane weed burner. Weed burner is more accurate if you are loosening paint but the log fire is easier.

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » September 18th, 2020, 9:45 am

dacolson wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 9:02 am
I would for sure. You’ve probably still got traces of mercaptan/propane in there. We’re you planning on stripping the paint? A hot fire helps loosen it all. I’ve built a log fire and I’ve used a propane weed burner. Weed burner is more accurate if you are loosening paint but the log fire is easier.
Thats good info. Do people typically brace the tank with some temporary internal supports to prevent any twisting the tank might experience? Just don't want to affect how the doors will fit after the burn.

I haven't decided whether i want to strip the paint yet or not. I know some people cover the tank in linseed or other oils and some people paint it. I guess its 2 different looks. I do want to set this tank up to survive long term so I want to do something for rust prevention. Any thoughts?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 18th, 2020, 10:39 am

Best rust prevention is to sandblast it and paint it. Store it inside or at least out of the weather, especially in winter months. Keep the ashes cleaned out and the cook chamber scraped after EVERY cook and It will last forever.

The oil on the outside looks cool for a while but will need to be re-applied at least several times a year. In my experience it did a poor job of protecting the metal and was constantly dripping off during a cook and staining the brick patio (wife was not happy).

Your tank interior looks pretty clean. Unless you have a lot of odor or residue on it you could just hit it with a wire wheel or a coarse flap wheel to clean it up.

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » September 18th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 10:39 am
Best rust prevention is to sandblast it and paint it. Store it inside or at least out of the weather, especially in winter months. Keep the ashes cleaned out and the cook chamber scraped after EVERY cook and It will last forever.

The oil on the outside looks cool for a while but will need to be re-applied at least several times a year. In my experience it did a poor job of protecting the metal and was constantly dripping off during a cook and staining the brick patio (wife was not happy).

Your tank interior looks pretty clean. Unless you have a lot of odor or residue on it you could just hit it with a wire wheel or a coarse flap wheel to clean it up.
I was afraid that the oil on the outside would do that. I also don't want to have to put on a pair of gloves just to touch my smoker. I guess my issue is that i really like the look of an old painted smoker.

Like these:
FranklinBBQ_Eater019.jpeg
FSEKFMOJ6CG7YT2.jpg
image023.jpg
At this point what I'm thinking about doing is wire wheeling/grinding all existing rust off the tank and putting a coat of high-temp clear coat on those spots to protect them. I'll see how that holds up. I will be storing it in my garage once its complete. Funny enough the smoker is taking my trucks spot in the garage! I guess if I decide that I want to paint it later, I can always do that. Just have to make sure its good and dry and cured before i cook on it again.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » September 18th, 2020, 3:16 pm

Your garage is going to very nice smelling after you cook some Q in that dude.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 18th, 2020, 10:17 pm

I’m with you thjm. I really like that semi rusted burned paint look. It’s a hard compromise though. It can go from cool looking to a rust bucket over a couple winters. I guess it’s part of the obsession though. Touch up, refurbishing, refinishing just give you a reason to get out and pay the old girl some well deserved attention.

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » September 19th, 2020, 12:46 pm

dacolson wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 10:17 pm
I’m with you thjm. I really like that semi rusted burned paint look. It’s a hard compromise though. It can go from cool looking to a rust bucket over a couple winters. I guess it’s part of the obsession though. Touch up, refurbishing, refinishing just give you a reason to get out and pay the old girl some well deserved attention.
Ya good points. I think Ill start out like that and if its too much work Ill break down and paint it.

So I started trying to bend the top of the door back so its flat and am encountering some trouble. As you can see, I welded some square tubing on either side of the door and some d-rings in the middle. Then I attached and tightened the turnbuckle so that the middle was flexing about 1/4" past where I need it to be.
IMG_1516.jpeg
IMG_1517.jpeg
I tightened it to this point. Let it sit a few minutes, then released it but it sprang right back where it started. I tightened it again and am going to leave it overnight but wanted to see if any of yall have any pro-tips to get it to stay square.

Maybe need to put more force on it? I am reaching the limits of that turnbuckle so i may go get a chain binder.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 19th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Maybe hit it w a torch for a second or three?

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » September 19th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Heat it

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » September 19th, 2020, 8:41 pm

:yth:

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » September 20th, 2020, 8:42 am

dacolson wrote:
September 19th, 2020, 4:35 pm
Maybe hit it w a torch for a second or three?
Got a weed burner coming Tuesday and am going to try that. I dont have an oxy torch but if that doesnt work, it looks like ill be investing in one.

BTW i really wish this forum had a 'like' feature for each post. I really miss that for other forums I a part of.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » September 20th, 2020, 11:47 am

Too much stored energy in the tank.....never going to stay straight unless you relieve that tension. You gave it a good shot but some forces you just can’t overcome.

Leave it and put a gasket on your door.

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » September 24th, 2020, 9:37 am

Dirtytires wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 11:47 am
Too much stored energy in the tank.....never going to stay straight unless you relieve that tension. You gave it a good shot but some forces you just can’t overcome.

Leave it and put a gasket on your door.
I was going to take my weed burner or an Oxy torch to the tank to correct that bow in the tank at the top and bottom of the door but after thinking about it, I dont think im going to. My plan right now is not to paint the tank and if i heat it up, im afraid the paint will peel in those places and look awkward. Also, after taking some measurements and realigning the door, I got the door to be +-1/16th of an inch or flush in all places.
737782B9-640C-4446-BF5E-7E008F8A60CD_1_105_c.jpeg
F195FC8C-1A46-42CD-BB96-C9CC8195D006_1_105_c.jpeg
661AE848-BB08-4706-AFBC-842987C188C8_1_105_c.jpeg
Do yall think this will leak smoke? Should I plan on getting a gasket like this or will it seal fine without it?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » September 24th, 2020, 10:32 am

Yes, you still need a gasket. I used flat felt 0.25 wide by 0.125 thick self adhesive on mine and it has worked awesome. You can find them on the sister site here or google lavalock gaskets.

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » September 24th, 2020, 10:38 am

Dirtytires wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 10:32 am
Yes, you still need a gasket. I used flat felt 0.25 wide by 0.125 thick self adhesive on mine and it has worked awesome. You can find them on the sister site here or google lavalock gaskets.
I know it is self adhesive but did you have to use any glue with it or did it stick fine on its own?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » September 24th, 2020, 10:48 am

It’s self-adhesive. Just peal off the plastic strip and stick it down. Make sure the metal is super clean-I think they recommend alcohol- before you apply it and for it to sit under pressure for 24 hours before you introduce heat. It has been on my pit for over 4 years and I’ve had no issues with it.

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » September 24th, 2020, 10:51 am

Dirtytires wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 10:48 am
It’s self-adhesive. Just peal off the plastic strip and stick it down. Make sure the metal is super clean-I think they recommend alcohol- before you apply it and for it to sit under pressure for 24 hours before you introduce heat. It has been on my pit for over 4 years and I’ve had no issues with it.
Okay. thanks for the tips. I cant find the link to your build thread or a picture of your smoker. Can you repost it here?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » September 24th, 2020, 11:03 am

E82D1670-BFE1-4D17-BFB1-AA449ECC4496.jpeg
I never did a full build thread....pictures used to be pretty time consuming to post and I just never went back to do it.

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » September 24th, 2020, 11:26 am

Dirtytires wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 11:03 am
E82D1670-BFE1-4D17-BFB1-AA449ECC4496.jpeg

I never did a full build thread....pictures used to be pretty time consuming to post and I just never went back to do it.
Did your tank or doors warp at all? Was the gap between the doors consistent all the way around or is the gasket compressed in some places and have room in others?

Can you send a side picture of the door closed so I can see the gap between the straps and the CC?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » September 24th, 2020, 1:20 pm

I spent a bit of time tweaking my door to get it to fit pretty tight but keep in mind the flanges add another layer of deviation from the perfect seal. Unless you use a ring roller, you will not get an absolutely perfect arch to your straps. A 0.125 gasket will crush where it needs to and remain full height to fill voids so as long as your gaps between the flanges and the tank are less than about 0.9375 (3/32) you will be just fine. If they are more than this, move up to the next thicker gasket. Over the years, we have had guys use 0.5 inch and even larger gaskets to seal their tanks so don’t get too bogged down on this part of the build.

Don’t know if my pictures will do you any good but I rolled it outside and snapped one of the bottom/right edge on the curve of the tank and one across the bottom.
B668F333-EB2F-4A93-A735-77D9DC73E631.jpeg
B6F06C9B-21DC-4871-A00D-40A366CEB24F.jpeg

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » September 24th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 1:20 pm
I spent a bit of time tweaking my door to get it to fit pretty tight but keep in mind the flanges add another layer of deviation from the perfect seal. Unless you use a ring roller, you will not get an absolutely perfect arch to your straps. A 0.125 gasket will crush where it needs to and remain full height to fill voids so as long as your gaps between the flanges and the tank are less than about 0.9375 (3/32) you will be just fine. If they are more than this, move up to the next thicker gasket. Over the years, we have had guys use 0.5 inch and even larger gaskets to seal their tanks so don’t get too bogged down on this part of the build.

Don’t know if my pictures will do you any good but I rolled it outside and snapped one of the bottom/right edge on the curve of the tank and one across the bottom.

B668F333-EB2F-4A93-A735-77D9DC73E631.jpeg

B6F06C9B-21DC-4871-A00D-40A366CEB24F.jpeg
Thats great information about the gasket thickness and those pictures were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » September 28th, 2020, 9:43 am

Got the top and bottom of the tank to be perfectly straight! Ill post an update tonight on how I did it. I got some help from my dad and think it will help others. Here are some pics of the straightened edges.
7E3E1103-571A-424A-A29F-EF70D41751B3_1_105_c.jpeg
F20981F7-EF25-4451-90C2-935F0524E79D_1_105_c.jpeg

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 28th, 2020, 9:46 am

:LG:
did you have those supports in before or after you made your cuts?