Can't decide so please help me out.

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
MedicMike
beginner
beginner

Can't decide so please help me out.

Post by MedicMike » March 22nd, 2021, 10:48 am

Bare with me as you read through this. It may be a lot and will most likely will confuse you. I am looking to make this a backyard smoker

So, I have a few different options in regards to building a smoker that I will list below. I hope it isn't too confusing.

1) I have access to a free 250 gallon tank (at my parents property). Of course I will have to purchase the metal for the firebox, unless I can get hold of another tank 30" in diameter that I can cut part of it off and mount up as a firebox. My two oppositions to that are 1) The overall length of the smoker for hauling. I am not interested right now in mounting it on a trailer. 2) How much wood will be consumed. I don't want to have to spend a lot of money on fuel if I only want to do a brisket or butt or ribs. I guess the 250 just seems over kill 3)I have considered cutting down the 250 gallon tank to (around 65-75 inches) and using the cut off section as a firebox. Then I would buy steel plate to cap off the ends that need capping.

Now one reason I would like the 250 gallon is to someday be able to smoke whole hogs. I don't cater events. It is just myself and family I am feeding with the occasional co-workers at the Firehouse.

2) Build a smoker that is 20x32 or 36. I believe the 36 would be too small for smoking whole hogs unless I buy a smaller piggy. This pit would be easier to haul to work or anywhere else. So portability would be much better

3) Build a smoker that is 24x48. Of course it is bigger so it would cost more to build.

Now my questions, regarding option number two and three. Would option number 3 be that much more expensive to build and would I save a lot of fuel/wood by building pit number 2?

I may have more questions that come up but for now that is my delimma. Thanks in advance for the advice for this newbie

MedicMike
beginner
beginner

Re: Can't decide so please help me out.

Post by MedicMike » March 22nd, 2021, 11:24 am

So I called a semi-local pipe yard today. These are the prices quoted:

20"x32"x3/8" = $125.00

24"x48"x1/4" = $210.00

dacolson

Post by dacolson » March 22nd, 2021, 11:27 am

Assuming:
1. you mount your pit on wheels/castors
2. you have access to a trailer w/ a winch, come-along, kids w/ muscles
If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about how big the pit is. Since you are willing to cut the 250 - which is free to you - that's what I would focus on. If I were building it, I would consider cutting a 28" section of pipe off the end (not including the bell itself) and welding the bell back on to the main CC. Use the 28" section as the firebox. Gives you a little bit more than 85 gallons in the FB and leaves you with a 165 gallon tank. Rack space will be a little less since you have the 2 large bells on the ends but you can build permanent racks in that space if you like. Unless you are in a location with no access to hardwoods, fuel cost between your pit options should not be too high - relatively speaking. You'll be feeding the pit a couple splits at a time, just smaller splits on the smaller options.
Regarding your other options:
If you are starting from scratch, I'd go straight to option 3. You can always use less rack space when you are cooking. You can never add space on. A 24x48" pit will also give you room for a second rack. 20" get's pretty tight for 2 racks. And the extra steel if you are buying scrap or drops (which is almost all I use) at .45/lb, your steel costs should be pretty reasonable. Find a steel supplier in your area and ask them if they sell drops. And check with your local steel scrap yards. You can find real bargains there.

Finally, a whole hog is fun, but if you have a smaller pit, you can always cut the whole hog into sections to get it to fit better. Seen that a bunch of times.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » March 22nd, 2021, 11:30 am

MedicMike wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 11:24 am

20"x32"x3/8" = $125.00

24"x48"x1/4" = $210.00
Great pricing. I'd jump on that 48" if the $$ are in your realm. And if you don't want to use the 250 gallon.

BTW, you may end up having so much fun building the 48" pit you go back and build the 250 gallon!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 22nd, 2021, 11:40 am

A 250 gal is a big pit. Probably too big for the backyard family cooker in my opinion. It's also way to big to put on casters so either a solid skid or trailer work best.

A whole hog can be a fun experience but, seriously, how often are you going to do it? It's expensive, time consuming and really not the most efficient way to properly cook all the sections of the animal. If/when you really get serious about it, just rent a big pit for the event. In the meantime, build a pit that you can use every week in the backyard.

The 24x48 is an awesome size pit. You can fire it up for a single meatloaf or make pulled pork for 200. A 20" pipe isn't bad but getting a second shelf in it can be pretty cramped. With just one shelf, it is pretty easy to grow out of. Best part is the plans for a 24x48 are available on the home page for free.

MedicMike
beginner
beginner

Post by MedicMike » March 22nd, 2021, 12:10 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 11:40 am
A 250 gal is a big pit. Probably too big for the backyard family cooker in my opinion. It's also way to big to put on casters so either a solid skid or trailer work best.

A whole hog can be a fun experience but, seriously, how often are you going to do it? It's expensive, time consuming and really not the most efficient way to properly cook all the sections of the animal. If/when you really get serious about it, just rent a big pit for the event. In the meantime, build a pit that you can use every week in the backyard.

The 24x48 is an awesome size pit. You can fire it up for a single meatloaf or make pulled pork for 200. A 20" pipe isn't bad but getting a second shelf in it can be pretty cramped. With just one shelf, it is pretty easy to grow out of. Best part is the plans for a 24x48 are available on the home page for free.

My family and I cook a whole hog once per year (about 300 pounds) and we have turned it into a "if you are hungry then show up for free food" event. We buy from a local hog farmer. Last year we bought a hog he charged us 0.50 per pound. We make it an entire weekend event.

MedicMike
beginner
beginner

Post by MedicMike » March 22nd, 2021, 12:13 pm

dacolson wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 11:30 am
MedicMike wrote:
March 22nd, 2021, 11:24 am

20"x32"x3/8" = $125.00

24"x48"x1/4" = $210.00
Great pricing. I'd jump on that 48" if the $$ are in your realm. And if you don't want to use the 250 gallon.

BTW, you may end up having so much fun building the 48" pit you go back and build the 250 gallon!
I am considering doing the 48" pipe. Everyone says to build bigger (within reason). I have an Oklahoma Joe Highland. It is something like 18"x31". That is how I came up with the 20x32. It has been big enough for the most part for me so I am trying to decide to build one about the same size or just a little bigger which led me to the 24x48. I have the money set aside now and will be making the trip to the area of the pipe supplier in a couple weeks.
I'm not sure how fast steel prices increase but at the time of this post those are the prices.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by hogaboomer » March 22nd, 2021, 3:34 pm

Been there, done that:

http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewtop ... =13&t=7548

Started out as a 250, but I decided early on it was way too big, so I cut it down. It turned into a 171 gallon, but it used a ton of wood, not sure if the oversized stack had anything to do with that, or not.
But it was too heavy to move around by myself, so I cut it down some more. I figured those bell ends were too much wasted space to heat up, so I cut them off. Swapped out the firebox for a lighter wall pipe, and put a 6 inch stack on. I cooked on it again yesterday, it works great, now. I think it's in the neighborhood of 120 gallons, now.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 22nd, 2021, 3:58 pm

All great information above. I have a 24'' X 48" with a warming cabinet over the FB and it will cook a lot of food or a couple of racks of ribs on close to the same amount of wood. I would think that you have access to plenty of wood being near AU and it shouldn't be very expensive. I loaned mine to some friends a few years ago and they cooked a 75lb pig, I didn't see it but they said that that was about the maximum size that would fit so a 200lber would be out of the question. Steel prices can change pretty quick so I wouldn't wait too long at those prices.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

MedicMike
beginner
beginner

Post by MedicMike » March 22nd, 2021, 4:16 pm

hogaboomer wrote:Been there, done that:

http://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewtop ... =13&t=7548

Started out as a 250, but I decided early on it was way too big, so I cut it down. It turned into a 171 gallon, but it used a ton of wood, not sure if the oversized stack had anything to do with that, or not.
But it was too heavy to move around by myself, so I cut it down some more. I figured those bell ends were too much wasted space to heat up, so I cut them off. Swapped out the firebox for a lighter wall pipe, and put a 6 inch stack on. I cooked on it again yesterday, it works great, now. I think it's in the neighborhood of 120 gallons, now.
We’re you able to have have enough cut off metal for your firebox? Or did that come from where else? I have considered cutting down the 250 to something like in your picture. If I did that then I’d probably only have to purchase metal for the end caps.

What are the dimensions of your firebox and cook chamber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » March 22nd, 2021, 4:50 pm

I had some 24 inch pipe that I bought, that I used for the firebox. The cook chamber is 30 inch tank 40 inches long. The firebox is 24 inch pipe, 23 inches long.

I may possibly have been able to make the whole thing out of just the tank, if I had done that from the start. It was a several step process of trial and error to get to the final result.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

MedicMike
beginner
beginner

Post by MedicMike » March 22nd, 2021, 8:13 pm

hogaboomer wrote:I had some 24 inch pipe that I bought, that I used for the firebox. The cook chamber is 30 inch tank 40 inches long. The firebox is 24 inch pipe, 23 inches long.

I may possibly have been able to make the whole thing out of just the tank, if I had done that from the start. It was a several step process of trial and error to get to the final result.
I think the last question I have, for now, is, what is the metal thickness of the cook chamber? I have read it is 3/8 for a tank that size but just checking.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » March 22nd, 2021, 8:29 pm

1/4” is plenty. 3/8 is super heavy.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert

Post by hogaboomer » March 22nd, 2021, 10:03 pm

Propane tanks are thin. This one is 3/16".

The firebox pipe is 1/4".

I live on Hogaboom Road.

MedicMike
beginner
beginner

Post by MedicMike » March 22nd, 2021, 10:05 pm

hogaboomer wrote:Propane tanks are thin. This one is 3/16".
Ok. I may go the route you did. I like the way your’s looks. I’m still in the process of getting prices from one other place.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 23rd, 2021, 10:33 am

Sounds like a 250 is going to be needed if you want to cook that big of a hog. I would plan on a trailer so you can move it around the property or loan it out on the 51 weeks of the year that it is not being used.

For that big of a pit, i would strongly recommend building a square firebox from 0.25 plate. This will allow you to make it exactly the right size. You can also better account for ground clearance and trailer fitment.

Return to “Standard Offsets”