Too big

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
MedicMike
beginner
beginner

Too big

Post by MedicMike » March 23rd, 2021, 12:17 pm

Is it possible to have a Firebox too big. For the size smoker I am wanting to build a 20x20x20 is rated to be 110.52%. Would it be too big of a Firebox to make it 24x24x24? The formula, if I remember correct, shows that size (24x24x24) being around 197%.

Thanks,
Michael

dacolson

Re: Too big

Post by dacolson » March 23rd, 2021, 12:54 pm

For sure. Why would you want to go that big? 115% to 120% is about as much over as you should go. That big and you’ll have a hard time controlling temps. Small fire in a big open pit. If you want a 24” FB, consider making it insulated with the interior at 20”. You would have 2” gap that you could fill w rock wool. Or leave empty for partial insulation.

MedicMike
beginner
beginner

Post by MedicMike » March 23rd, 2021, 1:10 pm

It's not that I am wanting to go that big, just more curious how it would effect the smoker. Just more of curiosity I guess.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » March 23rd, 2021, 2:33 pm

Airflow is what all the calculations in the sizing calculators are geared toward optimizing. It's all about keeping temp as even as possible. Make your FB bigger and you have to make your throat, stack, vents bigger. Too big and you waste heat warming the FB, the stack may need to be bigger to draw hard enough to pull smoke/air from the FB into the CC. Then the vents and throat need to be expanded to accommodate a larger draw. Small changes on large volumes equal larger heat fluctuations. I think i've seen a few times that 106 to 112% is the sweet spot on FB volume. I'm sure other guys can share some specific examples but this is the design thought process.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 24th, 2021, 10:25 am

Just keep it less than 110%.....

Return to “Standard Offsets”