Collector

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
MedicMike
beginner
beginner

Collector

Post by MedicMike » March 31st, 2021, 4:00 pm

What effect does the collector have on your pit when it comes to doing your calculations? I didn't see it in the Pit builder Calculator. How do I factor it in to the build?

Is a collector worth having?

dacolson

Re: Collector

Post by dacolson » March 31st, 2021, 5:54 pm

No effect on the sizing. Worth having? Depends on who you ask. I use them for 2 reasons. 1 - it moves the smoke exit down to the meat level so you get better smoke coverage. 2 - the wide opening moves the smoke/heat constriction further away from the rack, moving the hot spot away as well. Ultimately it’s arguable since there a thousands of pits out there not using them that make great product. A third reason for me is because I like how they look - but that’s just me.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 31st, 2021, 6:01 pm

It's not figured in to the CC sizing, that's why it isn't on the calculator. A lot of guys feel like it helps to even out the temps across the bottom grate so that's the reasoning behind it. Also some guys like the look of the collector on the end of the CC. You can turn the exhaust 90 degrees out the end of the CC and it will work so it's kind of up to you if you want to put in the extra work required to build a collector. I typed this to find that dave had said pretty much the same thing right before I tried to post this. It takes me a bit hen peck as my wife said so I'm posting it as well. =))

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » March 31st, 2021, 6:05 pm

Sorry Big T. I’m sure folks would rather hear from you. I should let these stew a bit before jumping in lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 31st, 2021, 6:46 pm

dacolson wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 6:05 pm
Sorry Big T. I’m sure folks would rather hear from you. I should let these stew a bit before jumping in lol.

Absolutely not sir, jump right in there every time! :beer:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Kcd2016
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Kcd2016 » March 31st, 2021, 8:44 pm

I just did some quick napkin math for some perspective. 24" dia x 48" cc, with a 8" tall triangle shaped collector that spans the diameter of the cc adds something like 5% volume to the cc. Not sure but that seems like a big collector too.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » March 31st, 2021, 11:28 pm

Big T wrote:
dacolson wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 6:05 pm

Absolutely not sir, jump right in there every time! :beer:
Hahaha. You know I will. Cheers