Show Me Your Rack

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
EverydayDiesel
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Show Me Your Rack

Post by EverydayDiesel » September 30th, 2021, 12:32 pm

Hello,

There are a lot of clever people on this forum so let's see pictures of your wood rack. Should it be covered to shield from the rain and snow? How do you store yours?

Brewmaster
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Re: Show Me Your Rack

Post by Brewmaster » October 1st, 2021, 7:04 am

Mine is tiny and completely un-clever! But it's something, I usually just grab about 1/4 cord ish at a time, my former propane cylinder storage cage holds about 22 cubic ft, close to 1/5th of a cord. Thinking about drilling a few holes in the top of it for more rain ingress but I'll wait to see how low the moisture content goes in the dry of winter.

According to the chart, our average moisture equalization where I live will be anywhere from 13 to 17%. Average of the wood in the cage right now is ~ 22%.
PXL_20210927_162706957.MP.jpg

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 1st, 2021, 10:55 am

8-10 cords all the time....it gets covered with a tarp on the corner that I am using at the time to keep them dry.....I heat my home with most of it but my wood fired oven is taking quite a bit now as well.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 2nd, 2021, 11:56 am

My rack is just standard 2 inch square tubing with a simple corrugated metal cover to keep the rain off some. Open on all other sides.

Return to “Standard Offsets”