Throat location

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Backyardbrewbq
beginner
beginner

Throat location

Post by Backyardbrewbq » December 18th, 2021, 10:21 am

I just finished this build. On my first cook I noticed it likes to run at 225 and takes alot of wood to get up to 275-300 that I normally cook at. I'm thinking my throat is placed to high up and directing all the heat to the top of chamber to fast. The grates sit at the exact middle of throat and smoke stack cut outs should a weld a baffle angled down or cover the hole up and move cut down a bit? ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back9Q
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Re: Throat location

Post by Back9Q » December 18th, 2021, 10:23 am

Looks pretty good to me. You have photos of a 225 fore and 275? Also what is thickness of metal and outdoor temps cooking in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backyardbrewbq
beginner
beginner

Post by Backyardbrewbq » December 18th, 2021, 10:35 am

It was about 50° and windy no pics but 225 is about 4 logs and 275 is like 6. I've never used a big smoker so maybe I'm just not used to using so much fuel. Also it runs within 5° difference left to right can't complain about that.

Back9Q
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Back9Q » December 18th, 2021, 10:38 am

Honestly I think you did everything right. With right coal base you will only need 1-2 logs to maintain temp. Build a huge coal bed which will give you the heat. Log will provide smoke. If in going 275 I will bring smoker up to 400 with plenty of logs and let them burn down to coals. Then feed splits as needed

Backyardbrewbq
beginner
beginner

Post by Backyardbrewbq » December 18th, 2021, 10:43 am

Entire smoker is 1/4 inch steel

Back9Q
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Back9Q » December 18th, 2021, 10:52 am

With that size of smoker and 1/4” I would build big fire to get large bed of coals and preheat everything. Probably take 1-1.5 hours. After that you should be good using 1-2 splits at whatever intervals are needed

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by hogaboomer » December 18th, 2021, 11:16 am

Get a digital thermometer with probes so you can check temps on different elevations. I put one firebox too high and all my heat was going across the top.
Nice looking build!

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Backyardbrewbq
beginner
beginner

Post by Backyardbrewbq » December 18th, 2021, 11:35 am

If that is the case on mine do you think a baffle pointed down would work? Or should I redo the cutout entirely? It wouldn't be to much work. would just have to plug hole and cut a new one. it's just a flat plate and I have alot of room to go down. Image

Back9Q
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Back9Q » December 18th, 2021, 12:22 pm

How much space above top of opening and top of CC. Removing is a lot of work and dont see issue with how it is

Try coal bed issue mentioned above and the. You can add plate similar to Aaron Franklin that may help redirect some of heat

Brewmaster
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Brewmaster » December 19th, 2021, 7:21 am

I'd cut the bottom half of your throat out and weld the top half closed. Most cookers I've seen with the throat entry above the grate always cook real hot up top and too cool down low. I'd also cut out the "shelf" (top of pipe protruding inside atop your throat there)

Good luck, she's a real beauty, nice build!!

:beer:
Backyardbrewbq wrote:
December 18th, 2021, 11:35 am
If that is the case on mine do you think a baffle pointed down would work? Or should I redo the cutout entirely? It wouldn't be to much work. would just have to plug hole and cut a new one. it's just a flat plate and I have alot of room to go down.

Return to “Standard Offsets”