Air scoop and baffle plate

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Newsmoke
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Air scoop and baffle plate

Post by Newsmoke » February 2nd, 2022, 11:50 am

Hey Guys

How are you all doing?!
I'm currently working a new project as such i bought some plans from Frank and doing my own.

As such i wanted to get your take on air scoops.
I also read the feed about franklin baffle plate (U shaped) and i was wondering if a design as below combining the air scoop and baffle plate would be helpful?

The idea is to direct the hot air directly towards the baffle plate that would absorb part of the heat and heat up the water pan above. It will then redirect the airflow grate level to get convection? Would that make sens?
Air scoop.jpeg
On my last build i did put the throat grate level as I wanted to optimise air flow. Wouldn't it be better to put it on position 2 in order for the hot air to first expand in the FB and then go through the throat "cooler".

Thanks for you advice and input!

sandro
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: Air scoop and baffle plate

Post by sandro » February 2nd, 2022, 12:46 pm

I would say go for it and see how it works, worst case scenario you can cut it off, although when I tried something similar I didn't really see much of a difference; if you check the Franklin Baffle thread you'll see a short clip I shot a couple of days ago and you can see how air flows without the scoop

Newsmoke
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Newsmoke » February 20th, 2022, 2:59 pm

Thanks Sandro for your feed back! I checked your video, very interesting you can see some kind of convection right?

Also for the throat placement would you set the opening at the very top of the FB or put it lower like 3/4 height of the FB?
My reasoning would be:

If the throat is at the very top of the FB the air will be super hot entering in the CC
If the throat is 3/4 height of the FB the hot air rises in the FB and have to swirl and cool before exiting the FB.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your advice!

sandro
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by sandro » February 20th, 2022, 3:45 pm

Newsmoke wrote:
February 20th, 2022, 2:59 pm
Thanks Sandro for your feed back! I checked your video, very interesting you can see some kind of convection right?

Also for the throat placement would you set the opening at the very top of the FB or put it lower like 3/4 height of the FB?
My reasoning would be:

If the throat is at the very top of the FB the air will be super hot entering in the CC
If the throat is 3/4 height of the FB the hot air rises in the FB and have to swirl and cool before exiting the FB.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for your advice!
I tried having the throat opening in the lower half (Workhorse style) and at the top (Franklin style), hard to bring numbers and data to the table but I felt the former ran at slightly lower temperatures, however I went with the latter as "I feel" it cooks better, and fits my cooking style better. Also the "Workhorse style" had a ton of smoke rolling out the FB so that design wasn't really working for me

Brewmaster
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Brewmaster » February 22nd, 2022, 6:02 pm

I'm sure your plan will work out just great! The baffle idea is pretty much the same as Jambo Pits style throat and baffle. Have a look at the video of one, and best of luck with the build.

https://youtu.be/x4DGCC0kfqM?t=99

Return to “Standard Offsets”