First build, Franklin'ish = many q's to follow

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Beagle Bones
beginner
beginner

First build, Franklin'ish = many q's to follow

Post by Beagle Bones » August 28th, 2022, 7:20 pm

I bought a piece of pipe 20" od, 1/4" wall or a tick thicker, 63" long, torch cut ends. $75 Once i can square the ends, I'm hoping for 62" overall.

My initial plan was to build a 20x60 smoker per the plans on this site. Now, I'm looking in a smaller direction. if I build a ~48" CC I can use the excess pipe for a ~ 18" fire box. I bought a 20" od tank end cap w/a 2" flange. It gives me about 3" before the curve. If I go w/the round firebox, I save $400 in steel building a square fire box.

Here are the finished dimensions I'm spit balling. 20" od x 0.25 x 62". Cut 16-18" off for a firebox. Weld 20" od tank cap onto the cook chamber. Adding ~3" to the overall chamber, plus the dome.

My questions:
Am i right to enter the inside diameter of the pipe in the smoker calculators? In my case 19.5" ish
Is a firebox ratio greater than 100% suitable?

Link to BBQ Pit Calculator
Last edited by Beagle Bones on August 29th, 2022, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barrion2018
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Never 2 Old 2 Learn
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: New build - many questions

Post by Barrion2018 » August 29th, 2022, 6:11 am

I think you'll be fine using the ID.

I built my first offset this past spring (20"x46"x3/8" CC & 20"x24"x3/8 FB. I went with an oversized FB) using pipe. when I put it into the calculator, I used OD measurements. I'm very happy with how it came out, and how it cooks.

Currently, me and my daughter are building a RF for her. And with her smoker, I'm using the ID measurements to see if it makes a differance. The only thing that I noticed, according to the calculator, is that the throat is a little larger using the ID measurements.

I'm also very new at this, so I would wait to hear from one of the more experienced guys or gals that can help you better.

Good luck, and post pics of your build as you go.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 29th, 2022, 10:19 am

You are correct. Use the inside dimensions in the calculator....you are looking for volume of the pipe and the thickness of the material is not revenant to the calculation.

Beagle Bones
beginner
beginner

Post by Beagle Bones » August 29th, 2022, 5:28 pm

I'm trying to determine the throat. I'm not certain what the above calculations are referring to. Using those calculations, a 10.46" diameter half moon and 43.0 sq inch throat is recommended.

Do I pull a tape across and move upwards until I read 10.5" inside to inside? I'm using pipe for the CC and the FB, so I'll be overlaying two circles.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: First build, Franklin'ish = many q's to follow

Post by Pete Mazz » August 30th, 2022, 2:53 am

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Beagle Bones
beginner
beginner

Re: First build, Franklin'ish = many q's to follow

Post by Beagle Bones » August 30th, 2022, 4:44 pm

Thank you Pete. That's exactly the information that I needed!