CL offset deal

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
GlenByan

CL offset deal

Post by GlenByan » September 1st, 2015, 6:15 pm

I picked A deal on a custom-built offset from craigslist. It's made from quarter-inch steel and overall well thought out design with the few exceptions. The first concern is the small smokestack, its 2.5 " diameter by 15 inches long on a 42" by 24" pit with a 24 " by 19 " long firebox. According to the calculator it should be a 7 foot stack. A 4 inch would be 34 inches long and a 6 inch would be 15", input would be appreciated

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: CL offset deal

Post by Rodcrafter » September 1st, 2015, 6:53 pm

Cool lets see some pics. But you're right to use the calc. That baby will work great when drafting right.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

FATNECK
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by FATNECK » September 1st, 2015, 7:32 pm

Pit calculator will get you what you need for correct stack. 2.5" is too small for smoke stack. I would have to said 4" would be the minimum in my opinion. If everything else measures out correct than stack should be easy fix.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » September 1st, 2015, 8:24 pm

I also agree with what Rodcrafter said... "That baby will work great when drafting right". I've built 4 rf smokers in the last 2 years that have all worked so perfectly. Having 100% success with the pit calculator I am always surprised when someone wants to deviate from its calculations or read posts like yours that have clearly large differences in the dimensions.

Run your numbers and use that as total confidence to make the changes it suggests. It's all about fire management and that becomes easy to do when your equipment is dialed in properly. If you think I knew what I was doing when I'd started, it only LOOKED like it. The expertise was right here.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life