30 gallon compressor/propane tank offset

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
RevRico
beginner
beginner
Title: Happily twisted
BBQ Comp Team Name: Revs Kitchen is coming soon

Post by RevRico » August 9th, 2017, 7:31 pm

As promised in my intro post, I'm going to copy my build from GRM to here. Please bear with me as I learn this forum software with regards to pictures and links.

It all started with a text "hey man, got a free smoker for you. some assembly required"

45 minutes later, this was sitting in my driveway and the gears were turning.
As luck would have it, not a week before a forum friend called asking if I wanted some metal carts. Having just bought a welder, I said sure, figuring at the very least I could chop them up and put them back together. But I got lucky with one cart that had a removable top, and the 30 gallon air tank fit almost perfectly.

First things first, I needed a door and to find out why the tank sounded like it was full of gravel. So I turned to CAD (cardboard assisted design)Image

I made it look about how I wanted, traced it out with a paint marker, and got the angle grinder and sawzall ready. My first cuts were the top corners. I went in about 8 inches on each side, and tacked my weld on hinges into place thinking it would help prevent any warping or bending.
Oh, there's that gravel noise. About 2 gallons of rust.

I decided now to do a mockup with the firetank, and realized my pretty autocad drawings didn't translate into 3D very well. I'm resourceful though and eventually found a work around.

Image Just like with the cook chamber, I cut the top, and welded on hinges before cutting the rest of the door out. It worked out for me, so I recommend it even if it isn't common practice.

And my first big mistake, that I still haven't fixed. Image the clamps moved as I was welding and I didn't notice until I was done, so the bottom "bracket/gasket thing" is VERY crooked, but still almost seals.

Image I'm still not sold on this either, I welded the gasket piece for the back on the inside instead of screwing around with the hinges. It didn't leak in my test fire, at least not very visibly, so I think it worked alright.

I was then given some great advice for a contour guage Image but when I made it, it didn't work very well at all, so I had to fudge it.

Image This was my solution to joining the tanks together. Actually worked out pretty well. Turns out a fire extinguisher is the perfect size opening, according to the feldon calculator, and I have a bunch of dead ones laying around.

Image Fast forward to everything being together. The wall of the tank was so thin that just the pressure of my welding wire feed was punching holes through the rust, so I friction fit it, and put on 2 coats of JB Weld extreme heat, that claims a 2200F tolerance, to seal the gap.

ImageThat led to my next major screw up. I didn't own a plasma cutter until 4 days AFTER i tried to cut this hole out with a grinder. The original round hole came out good, but making the adjustments to fit the chimney in left me GAPING holes all the way around that I welded patched on, then covered heavily in Steel Stick.

Now here she is, all put together(mostly) and ready to rock. Added the big pneumatic wheels to get it around on my gravel and swampy yard, 1/2" round bar with spring handles that do a great job keeping it cool, and the red brackets to lift it higher for the latch I haven't installed yet.

It has now been test fired and seasoned. I've maintained 500F in the cook chamber for an hour, so I'm calling it good.

I still have 1/8" x 1" fireplace gasket to put around the door, the latch to put on, a mesh firebox insert to make, something for the gaps on the firebox door, and paint. Which means at 90% done, it's pretty much finished.

This was originally supposed to be a reverse flow smoker. I couldn't make a good pattern to fit the round end of the tank with cardboard, so I haven't tried at all with metal, but it may not need it.

As a bonus, I have 150lbs of insulating cement just sitting here looking for a home, and am considering putting a 1" thick layer across the bottom of the cook chamber to help hold heat when the door opens and maybe even out the heat distribution, but I haven't seen much of any information about combining a smoker with insulating cement.

coming soon, the new http://revskitchen.com with more fabrication, more racing exploits, and even more cooking.

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: SmokinAddict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: 30 gallon compressor/propane tank offset

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » August 9th, 2017, 7:52 pm

That's what I call Redneck ingenuity. Lol. Good job brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 9th, 2017, 8:09 pm

:yth: She's definitely one of a kind. :kewl: I will say that it looks a little tipsy with the wheels being so close together.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » August 9th, 2017, 8:24 pm

:yth:
Looks good. Most problems have a solution... you just have to find the one that fits best... :D

And don't go drifting around corners with the high centre of gravity and narrow wheel base.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

RevRico
beginner
beginner

Post by RevRico » August 9th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Big T wrote::yth: She's definitely one of a kind. :kewl: I will say that it looks a little tipsy with the wheels being so close together.
It surprisingly isn't. Even before you notice only 3 wheels are on the ground when it's moving. Being so top heavy was a concern, but it won't move much from it's parking spot. I am thinking about a leg from the firebox to the stand though, just to minimize stress on the fire extinguisher joints.
Image It's going to live next to the blue table. I might move the blue table first and just put it next to the New Braunfels I'm adding a rotisserie to, it's still up in the air, but the end of the shop seems to be a good out of the way yet easy to get to place.

coming soon, the new http://revskitchen.com with more fabrication, more racing exploits, and even more cooking.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » August 10th, 2017, 4:17 am

Nice work dude, very inventive solutions! :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

RevRico
beginner
beginner

Post by RevRico » August 11th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Step one of the paint is complete. This was the easy part. 2 coats of rustoleum grill paint, aka 1 can, because I had it leftover from last year when I redid the New Braunfels.

There is more coming to this, just to prove a point to someone on another forum. It's beyond my skill level and I cheaped out and bought rattle cans, so it will be a miracle if this comes out.

I'll leave you with a hint of things to come Image

RevRico
beginner
beginner

Post by RevRico » August 12th, 2017, 12:30 pm

1.5 hours into the first cook, I definitely need to and should have already install the gasket material and flanges over the FB door.

I need to figure out how to seal the end holes.

At least I got a small shelf bent up to hold thermometers.

So far, I've hit 300, hung at 225, and now can't get above 200, with thick white smoke pouring out. I left more variables than I thought I did, live and learn.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » August 12th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Fortunately its not a life or death thing. Just a smoker. You can nail down each little problem as you go and eventually you'll a sweet little smoker.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » August 12th, 2017, 10:56 pm

:LG: and :yth:

The folks around here can help you out if you ask.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

RevRico
beginner
beginner

Post by RevRico » August 13th, 2017, 12:51 pm

As you can see now, yesterday I was fighting MASSIVE leaks. Everywhere. On top of fighting the nonadjustable intake.

I didn't feel like welding on the smoker while I was cooking, so I used foil and weight. It helped some, but not much.

And this explains an awful lot.

Well that was yesterday. Today, I made some changes.

Image The door on the firebox now has even bigger gaps. I must have warped the door when I welded the flaps on.

Image but the gaskets on the cook chamber make a better seal.

I can't quite figure out how my latch is going to work yet going around the curve, but hanging weight on the door works pretty well.

I still need to repaint the firebox, and figure out how to seal it better, but progress.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » August 13th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Toggle clamps work great for holding doors in position.

As for the FB. I don't know if you will really end up happy with that choice. Its a little on the small side and made of very thin metal. Small you could have gotten away with but both not so much. You will need to over heat it to get the temperature you want thus distorting the tank.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........