Standard Offset Trailer Build

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
dacolson

Re: Standard Offset Trailer Build

Post by dacolson » August 21st, 2020, 7:08 pm

Picked up the 1/4” I needed for the FB. Cut it up and drilled/cut out the vent slots on the sides. Made a general mess of the shop. Usual Friday.

Slots will be on the bottom. Those panels are upside down. And they need some cleanup with the grinder first. Just rough cut w the plasma.

Dave C - Smoking meat - Offset RF Smoker. Big Green Egg. Homemade mailbox cold smoker.
Novice welder - Everlast PowerMTS 252STi
Farmington, MN

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » August 21st, 2020, 7:42 pm

Looks pretty awesome.
Did you make an oversized template jig to cut the vent holes with the plasma?

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

dacolson

Post by dacolson » August 21st, 2020, 8:21 pm

Did the first vents with a hole saw then cut them out between w the plasma. Then traced out the second one and carefully free handed w plasma.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » August 24th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Question on the throat size location. Before I move forward, I want to double check some things. I’ve heard Frank and others say it doesn’t matter as much in a standard offset how big the throat is as long as it’s over 100% of the calculator. With that in mind, I cut the FB opening in my tank 120 gallon tank halfway up - 12” up the CC. My FB is 20x24x20. If I account for a 1” dam at the bottom and make my throat at just over 100%, it looks like:

image.jpg

That feels way too low in the FB. Soooo, do I:
1. Extend the height of the throat up another 4” so it’s 2” below the top of the FB, or ...
2. Leave the throat the same size and move it up 4” like option1, or ...
3. Weld the FB cutout back in the CC and make it a shorter opening in the CC so the throat is more appropriately positioned in the FB and CC?

I’d rather do option 1 or 2, but I’d also rather have the best airflow.

Thoughts?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 24th, 2020, 5:47 pm

I would move the throat up as high as possible without increasing the size. What is your plan for the throat going into the CC, just an opening or do you plan on having some type of baffle ?

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » August 24th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Thanks BigT. It will still be a couple inches below the cooking grates if I keep it a couple inches below the top of the FB.

I’ve heard about throat baffles on standard offsets but never seen one. I’d consider one since I’m not putting tuning plates in. Frank talked about a round baffle to redirect air flow up to increase convection. I can’t picture it. Have you seen/used one?

Big T

Post by Big T » August 24th, 2020, 7:31 pm

This is how the inside of a Jambo is done. He mounts the FB really high on the end of the CC and his exhaust is at grate height. I haven’t used this design but it must work well because they aren’t cheap and a lot of the well known cooks use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dacolson

Post by dacolson » August 24th, 2020, 8:13 pm

Have you used a throat baffle? Opinion one way or the other?

Big T

Post by Big T » August 24th, 2020, 10:52 pm

I haven't used one like this so I don't have any personal experience, just hear say. The last offset that I had was a store bought cooker that I added a short baffle plate(6''-8") right above the throat. It was so hot at the throat that you really couldn't cook anything right there. I made that modification long before I found any sites about building a smoker so it was just trial and error. I would do something whether it be tuning plates, a flat plate or something like the one above just based off of my experiences.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » August 24th, 2020, 11:53 pm

dacolson wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 8:21 pm
Did the first vents with a hole saw then cut them out between w the plasma. Then traced out the second one and carefully free handed w plasma.
If you are going to make more vent holes in the future, and you want to make a jig for your plasma cutter out of a 4"x4" plate (approx). You could measure the center of your plasma orifice to the edge of your drag shield (mine is 3/8" for my Hypertherm 45xp). If you want a 1"x2" oval, your template hole (made out of 1/8" or thicker steel or aluminum).If I were to make that template for my plas-cutter, I would cut a couple of 1-3/4" round holes and space them at 2-3/4" OD,. Then simply lay the template over where you want the vent hole. Hold the drag shield to the inside of the template hole, and run it around the inside of the template. Your oval will be 1"x2". Very fast and repeatable. Throw the template in the tool box for the next build.. ....easy peasy, fast and cheesy!!
A method (trick) we used at the fab shop for years..

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

dacolson

Post by dacolson » August 25th, 2020, 6:10 am

Big T wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 10:52 pm
I haven't used one like this so I don't have any personal experience, just hear say. The last offset that I had was a store bought cooker that I added a short baffle plate(6''-8") right above the throat. It was so hot at the throat that you really couldn't cook anything right there. I made that modification long before I found any sites about building a smoker so it was just trial and error. I would do something whether it be tuning plates, a flat plate or something like the one above just based off of my experiences.
Thanks BigT. I think I’ll build that baffle and lightly tack it in place. Run some test burns with/without before handing this cooker over. Put 4 or 5 heat probes down the cooking grates to see the effects. I’ll share the details of the tests here.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » August 25th, 2020, 6:14 am

tinspark wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 11:53 pm
dacolson wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 8:21 pm
If you are going to make more vent holes in the future, and you want to make a jig for your plasma cutter out of a 4"x4" plate (approx). You could measure the center of your plasma orifice to the edge of your drag shield (mine is 3/8" for my Hypertherm 45xp). If you want a 1"x2" oval, your template hole (made out of 1/8" or thicker steel or aluminum).If I were to make that template for my plas-cutter, I would cut a couple of 1-3/4" round holes and space them at 2-3/4" OD,. Then simply lay the template over where you want the vent hole. Hold the drag shield to the inside of the template hole, and run it around the inside of the template. Your oval will be 1"x2". Very fast and repeatable. Throw the template in the tool box for the next build.. ....easy peasy, fast and cheesy!!
A method (trick) we used at the fab shop for years..
Thx Tinspark. I do love templates. They sure would have made clean up on this one much easier. My dad always said to make a jig if you do the same thing more than twice. Thinking of drilling them out more next time. Use the drill press a bit like a mill. I’ll mess around and share what takes less time/looks the best. I do like these oval vents.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » August 25th, 2020, 9:21 am

dacolson wrote:
August 24th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Frank talked about a round baffle to redirect air flow up to increase convection. I can’t picture it. Have you seen/used one?
I have often wondered if a false end on the CC about 3" away from the FB / CC end would help with heat flow better. The false end would be open at the very top so the heat from the fire box went up to the top of the chamber before it entered the CC. Another way to look at it is the throat would be at the top of the chamber so the FB could be mounted at the top of the CC.

Just an idea I had floating in my head. My idea still has the stack mounted at the top as well......I wonder how that set up would work? Someone needs to built it and report the findings :welder:

dacolson

Post by dacolson » August 25th, 2020, 12:48 pm

towtruck wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 9:21 am
dacolson wrote:

Frank talked about a round baffle to redirect air flow up to increase convection. I can’t picture it. Have you seen/used one?
I have often wondered if a false end on the CC about 3" away from the FB / CC end would help with heat flow better. The false end would be open at the very top so the heat from the fire box went up to the top of the chamber before it entered the CC. Another way to look at it is the throat would be at the top of the chamber so the FB could be mounted at the top of the CC.

Just an idea I had floating in my head. My idea still has the stack mounted at the top as well......I wonder how that set up would work? Someone needs to built it and report the findings :welder:
Damn it. That’s like 4 options I have to account for. NOT helping Towtruck!!

Big T

Post by Big T » August 25th, 2020, 6:01 pm

towtruck wrote:
dacolson wrote:

I believe someone recently done something similar to what you're talking about or at least what I think you're talking about. It may have been hogaboomer with a water pan right at the throat that the heat had to go over to enter the CC. I may have also not understood exactly what he built but that's how I envisioned it working.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » August 25th, 2020, 6:21 pm

Big T wrote:
August 25th, 2020, 6:01 pm
towtruck wrote:
dacolson wrote:

I believe someone recently done something similar to what you're talking about or at least what I think you're talking about. It may have been hogaboomer with a water pan right at the throat that the heat had to go over to enter the CC. I may have also not understood exactly what he built but that's how I envisioned it working.
I think your right...my memory is short but I think the principle is the same as my thought.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » August 26th, 2020, 4:02 am

Frank recommends a baffle plate that redirects the output of the FB straight up into the CC.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

dacolson

Post by dacolson » August 26th, 2020, 6:45 am

Pete Mazz wrote:
August 26th, 2020, 4:02 am
Frank recommends a baffle plate that redirects the output of the FB straight up into the CC.
So a vertically or upward slanted half moon placed 4” or so in front of the throat would do the trick? Something like that pic of the Jambo?

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » August 27th, 2020, 3:16 am

Frank thinks a vertical baffle that goes well above the grates and directs the FB output at or near the top of the CC, keeping all dimensions at or greater than the throat area.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » August 27th, 2020, 3:54 am

dacolson

Post by dacolson » August 27th, 2020, 8:41 am

Thx Pete. Thinking something like this:
image.jpg
Sorry for the chicken scratch drawing. Does that match up with your understanding? The opening at the top would be the size of the throat opening from the FB.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » August 28th, 2020, 3:54 am

Yea

dacolson

Post by dacolson » August 28th, 2020, 6:38 am

Pete Mazz wrote:
August 28th, 2020, 3:54 am
Yea
👍

dacolson

Post by dacolson » August 29th, 2020, 11:17 pm

Busy work on the trailer. Cleaned up a ton of bad torch cuts form the previous owner. Removed the tongue to add a longer one for better stability. Extended the frame another 18 inches. Waiting on the hitch coupler I ordered to finish the upgrades. Then sanding and repainting.

I also cut the doors on the CC. @Frank Cox - I watched your video on cutting doors in propane tanks. I’m not sure if you’re a genius or I just got lucky. 2 doors cut, 0 door sprung! I even stole your curved straight edge trick. Ruined a good T-square but it made for straight plasma cuts along the curve. Thank you sir.

All in all, it’s been a good weekend so far.
1CF0F42B-91F4-4FAD-B366-817379CB135B.jpeg
BAE5DA99-E050-4873-88F3-BD07E924D822.jpeg
E861D19C-0B36-406C-B37F-537D62B96A62.jpeg
CC2C6C02-943F-4932-B023-4950559804C2.jpeg

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 2nd, 2020, 5:20 pm

Finally tackled the throat baffle today. After a lot of back and forth I decided to go with the Jambo style baffle. I left the top of it at grate height. I can extend the top of it if I decide it’s too low. Kind of thinking this will be enough.

I put the angled turns in the baffle so I could maintain the 5” height of the throat opening all the way through the turn from horizontal to vertical.

Dave C - Smoking meat - Offset RF Smoker. Big Green Egg. Homemade mailbox cold smoker.
Novice welder - Everlast PowerMTS 252STi
Farmington, MN