Internal fb

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Lozo
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Internal fb

Post by Lozo » December 24th, 2016, 1:02 am

I know I'll probably get a spanking for this, but why does a offset type of pit need an external firebox? I've heard people complain about losing a lot of heat because they don't have a insulated firebox and I do my share of complaining about this issue as well.

So if one has a large enough pit and don't mind losing some cooking space, why can't you take a section of 12-16" pipe 1/4" or more thick, 2-3ft long. Weld some plate of equal thickness to close it up on both ends. Cut a exhaust, door, air inlets, everything you would do to a external fb.

Now, in the middle or off to one side of your cylinder, tank or what have you, cut a hole large enough to slide the fb in leaving a couple inches hanging out. Weld it into place.

To me, you would maximize the use of ALL your heat which means less fuel. Or am I just completely wrong?

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Internal fb

Post by Gizmo » December 24th, 2016, 5:17 am

I think you've just described an Ugly drum Smoker. I think one of the reasons why a UDS works so well is because all the the 'lost' heat is lost into the meat - an a little through the skin of the drum. You can certainly do what you are describing but I'm afraid the pit will give you the feeling that you have to baby sit it every step of the way to get your temp where you want it - some heat loss in the design of an offset is why they seem to remain stable over time if you just feed the fire regularly based on how it wants to run. Clear as mud? :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Internal fb

Post by Tom_Heath » December 24th, 2016, 8:41 am

Offset design needs more draft then say a uds. With that said you can manage and control a small fire in a uds as that's where the fire likes to run. It's happy place. But an offset likes to run just a little hotter to be efficient. You can run a small fire. Just means you have tiny wood, in the firebox. And it will need attention as gizmo stated ( a baby sitter ) a clean fire is a happy fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » December 24th, 2016, 8:55 am

Gizmo has made some very nice center feed smokers. So your idea isn't a bad one at all, design is the key

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 24th, 2016, 10:13 am

My grandpa has a cooker basically like you described that he built over 30 years ago. He uses charcoal and wood chunks for smoke. It works for him but he does stand around and watch it all day as he consumes beer.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Lozo
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Lozo » December 24th, 2016, 12:31 pm

It took me a long time to find a pic of showing what I was describing.
By0mVaGIEAAYx0k.jpg
And its a RF from what I can tell.

I got the idea while looking at a Southern Pride cooker and it got me to thinking.
S Pride Trlr 9.jpg

and the Peoria Cookers Meat Monster
maxresdefault.jpg
Last edited by Lozo on December 24th, 2016, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big T

Post by Big T » December 24th, 2016, 12:38 pm

That looks like it would be very hot on the FB end of it.

Lozo
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Lozo » December 24th, 2016, 1:10 pm

I'm asking if a internal FB on a offset is possible because I bought this a couple years back and I've been building fires on the tongue end of the cooker and cooking on the exhaust end.

It HAD a small door on the fire end for a air inlet but the pit itself is very drafty. I planned to add a FB to it but it sits very low to the ground and ground clearance was gonna be issue.

Right now, I'm in the process of downsizing and re-enforcing the doors and adding wider door flanges. I'd like to keep it as compact as possible because of the low profile nature of the cooker.

It's 84x36x18. The guy I bought it from said it was a locomotive fuel tank that was defective and never made it to the train assembly yard. I thought it was a oil tank but the wall is way thicker than a standard oil tank.

I do appreciate you all's suggestions and comments in advance.
10984627_10204752926957839_8090616663023729768_n.jpg
10457553_10204762212829980_9200261024761888903_n.jpg
10457553_10204762212829980_9200261024761888903_n.jpg (23.74 KiB) Viewed 588 times

Big T

Post by Big T » December 24th, 2016, 1:53 pm

I'm sure you could make it work if that's your best option. You might have to tweek your original mods if they don't work at first. My grandpas has a wall that that comes from the bottom of the CC about 3/4 of the way to the top. He builds his fire in there and the heat and smoke go up over the wall, across the grate and out the stack.

Return to “Standard Offsets”