Stack Exit Location from CC

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
MVPMLC
beginner
beginner

Stack Exit Location from CC

Post by MVPMLC » February 16th, 2017, 6:15 pm

I am new to smoker building. I just purchased "How to build your own BBQ smokers" CD from E-bay.
The Author, James Jones from Waxahachie, TX , recommends that the exhaust should exit at or slightly below the level of the bottom cook rack. Either out of the end of the CC with a 90 degree angle, or, down through the top inside the CC with a 45 degree angle. Otherwise your smoker will loose all its heat out of the top, also he states that with his method will you less fuel.
I have noticed several different methods on various professionally constructed smokers.
I would like to know what feedback/advise some members of this forum have to offer on this subject.

Thank You! MVP

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Stack Exit Location from CC

Post by Big T » February 16th, 2017, 7:10 pm

There's been a lot of debate about this very subject and there's not a definitive answer. I have built a few smokers of various designs and I have always put the stack as high as possible on the CC and I've never had any issues. I've seen guys on here that have dropped their stacks down low on the CC and they swear by it. I think that you need to consider the overall design of the smoker before you decide on a stack location. We had a new member join the forum recently because he built a cooker based off of a very popular design and he was having major temp issues. He posted some pictures and Tom was able to help him correct his problems, they were caused by the height and size of the throat in relation to the size and location of the stack exit. If you are really wanting to build a tried and true design, you should take a look at smokerplans.net. The plans are easy to read and they come with tech support by the Guru himself OB1.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » February 16th, 2017, 7:52 pm

It would be hard to say more than what BigT said and I agree. I go high as possible on mine

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » February 21st, 2017, 5:20 am

The thought behind a lower stack exit is to keep more smoke in the cook chamber. Sounds like a good thing except...how does that smoke get out? Some would say that it doesn't evacuate and the smoke stagnates and you get stale smoke flavor. That's the debate in a nutshell. Let us know what you decide!

MVPMLC
beginner
beginner

Post by MVPMLC » March 14th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Thank you all for your time/advice. Going with BigT mounting high on CC.

MVP

BenzieBBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by BenzieBBQ » March 15th, 2017, 8:18 am

Good discussion. If the FB vent is in line with the FB/CC vent which is in line with the stack opening, that's a straight shot through the system.

See Post #7 in this thread http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/142517/three-some Image

A Jambo-type flare from the FB to the CC seems like it would circulate the air up there. Seems like. I haven't heard people feel a Jambo was too smokey

Firebox flare:

Exhaust above grate:

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » March 16th, 2017, 5:16 am

I've never seen a Jambo in action but I can't fathom how the area below the grate gets any appreciable heat/smoke besides what circulates around.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

BenzieBBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by BenzieBBQ » March 16th, 2017, 6:21 am

Hi Pete-

It seems a little odd. I thought so too.

Franklin builds his rigs very similarly http://video.klru.tv/video/2365513482/

His firebox is up quite high to deliver the heat into the CC above the grate. His stack vent is centered on the grate. Another example of a Downdraft traditional flow. He just omitted the flare that Jambo popularized.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 16th, 2017, 12:04 pm

I really liked the video, I have never used a smoker designed like that. But if it works the way he wants it I'm fine with that. I noticed that as he showed us the different pits he has really one favorite. That means the others aren't. So he has learned some things along the way. The ones I have made are very different than each other but they cook great and it depends on what is cooking or how much to determine which one I use. Thanks for sharing it.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

BenzieBBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by BenzieBBQ » March 16th, 2017, 1:52 pm

Franklin talks about his feeling that you want a lot of free airflow across the meat. He discusses this as to why he has the vents the way he does. Same theory as Jambo employs.

This is a subtle thing. LIke RF vs standard. It's always more about the cook than the cooker

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 17th, 2017, 7:32 am

It looked to me like it is so free flowing that he doesn't even use vents he leaves the door open with a over sized stack so the air moves through. I can see the reasoning behind it and I see the difference of controlled flow too, as it allows me to make the most use of the fuel and adjust-ability.

jm2cw

BenzieBBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by BenzieBBQ » March 17th, 2017, 10:08 am

Franklin ports it in up high, while Jambo adds the flare - and ports it in up high. So Jambo sort of tosses the air up to then fall down over the meat. Subtle difference - not sure it matters

Return to “Standard Offsets”