Decisions, decisions...

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
cyberstrategist
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Old Country BBQ

Decisions, decisions...

Post by cyberstrategist » November 18th, 2017, 12:10 am

Well, I'm finally taking the plunge into making my own LP tank smoker from start to finish. I came into pocession of a 330 gallon tank that I heard of through word of mouth that they just wanted it gone. Of course, I volunteered to take it from them and give it a new home where it can perform delicious tasks every weekend.

The first question for me to decide is to go standard offset (which is what my previous trailer was) or reverse flow.

This thing is 10 feet long counting the end caps so I'll be cutting those off to make two fire pits. A good 30" diameter pit should suffice on those cold nights where I still want to sit outside...and grill a steak over some pecan or hickory.

Here is a list of items I want do. Any input is welcome :)
- Doors open curbside, meaning hitch to the right, firebox to the left when facing the doors.
- Warming cabinet above the firebox
- 3 levels of grates, if the spacing can work
- Gas assist in the firebox
- Gas grill on other side of the smoker (phase two most likely but need to plan for it)
- I'm torn between standard doors that use the cutouts of the tank or creating a cabinet style (pros/cons?)
- Insulated firebox (3/8" inside thickness, 1/8" outside thickness)
- Tandem trailer

Of course, there are lots of other ideas and such but this will get me started. Thoughts?
rsz_smoker_on_trailer.jpg
rsz_tank_details.jpg

Where faith + family + tradition always equals success. Serving up BBQ the old school way.

Currently using...
Five Barrel Cookers; One New Braunfels horizontal; One Trailer smoker (being built)

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Decisions, decisions...

Post by ajfoxy » November 18th, 2017, 5:22 pm

The first step is generally one of many. Good luck with the build.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Bricklayer2
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Masonry Contractor

Post by Bricklayer2 » November 19th, 2017, 1:04 pm

Look forward to your build! :kewl:

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » November 19th, 2017, 8:18 pm

That'll make a fine smoker! I wouldn't recommend the gas assist unless you have someone that is familiar with all of the required safety features because if anything goes wrong these things can become a bomb :exp: Doors 1) Pro the traditional doesn't require a lot of extra work to build and you don't have to buy a lot of extra material. Con the door is very heavy so it needs a counter weight to assist opening and closing. Also you get a face full of smoke every time you open the door. 2) cabinet pro easy to open and close, no face full of smoke because you aren't leaning over them. Con requires extra work and material. They swing out so you can't have anything on a shelf in front of them and if you have a damper between the CC and WC you have to make sure the control handle doesn't interfere with the door opening all of the way. I would go with the cabinet style doors if you are considering them, I believe they are worth the extra investment. If you decide to go that route there's a calculator at the top of the forum that Pete designed that'll help you figure the extra volume in the CC so you can adjust the FB size.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » November 22nd, 2017, 9:49 am

Yep, cabinet doors all they way, so much better, you'll get a bigger top rack as well. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 26th, 2017, 9:09 pm

I think so to.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Millertime
beginner
beginner
Title: New builder
BBQ Comp Team Name: The Church of Swinetology

Post by Millertime » December 4th, 2017, 8:03 pm

What is every one's thought on distances for multiple racks...8" apart?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 4th, 2017, 9:43 pm

8" will give you plenty of spacing for the larger butts and briskets but for ribs and chicken you could get by with 4''. You could put your rack guides every 4'' and then adjust the racks depending on what you're cooking. A large turkey or a pig would be the main things that would need plenty of head room.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » December 5th, 2017, 7:15 am

:yth:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Standard Offsets”