150 gallon build, lots of questions

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

150 gallon build, lots of questions

Post by Tipps » May 3rd, 2018, 10:09 pm

Hello,
I’m new here and I’ve started a build from a 150 gallon propane tank, for a patio smoker - traditional offset. Have some questions and appreciate any help. The tank is 24” diameter, almost 1/4” thick from what I can tell. I have all the paint removed at this point.

I really wanted a 24” long fire box, But with the semi round end caps I wasn’t sure on the measurements. I cut one end off the tank to make firebox out of, its about 24”, leaving me with a 56” or so cook chamber. The Feldon calculator says I’m near 130%, is this too big? Or will it work out alright? I can cut more I guess or add a sub floor, but really wanted rounded bottom.

Is smoke stack recommended measurement from where it exits or from top of chamber? I was gonna run a 5” pipe out if end, centered on grate level. Similar to Franklin with the cantilever.

What are the best casters to use for primarily concrete? Steel, or do any of the plastics work? And what would be the best size, thinking 5 or 6”. I was gonna do 2 fixed near firebox and 2 swivel at stack end. I’d say with the tank being 350 lbs or so, plus another 200 lbs maybe with base and accessories, this thing should way 600 on the safe side.

On the base, is it best to run the base all the way to end of firebox, or stop at beginning of firebox (end of cook chamber)? I wasn’t sure how it would balance, maybe you guys have an idea.

The plate that should be installed over the FB to CC opening to keep any flames from hitting grate, maybe it’s called a damper or heat shield ?, how long should it extend? Should it be sloped downward or level, and should the end be rounded or squared off?

Is there a trick to getting slope for grease on the pit? Do you make 2 legs of stand longer, buy different size casters, or possibly shin above casters?

Lastly, since this material is heavy and I have no forklift. Is the normal process to get chamber on stand and then mount firebox? Or does anybody get it all put together while on the ground then mount on stand? I’m still not sure how I’m gonna attack this.
That’s all I got for now, but I will have more. Thanks a bunch
Last edited by Tipps on May 4th, 2018, 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: 150 gallon build, lots of questions

Post by ajfoxy » May 4th, 2018, 12:54 am

Welcome to the crew.

BigT or one of the other guru's will be along shortly.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: RE: 150 gallon build, lots of questions

Post by mp4 » May 4th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Tipps wrote:Is smoke stack recommended measurement from where it exits or from top of chamber? I was gonna run a 5” pipe out if end, centered on grate level. Similar to Franklin with the cantilever.

Stack measurement starts at the top of the cook chamber regardless of where it exits.

mp4
Expert
Expert

Re: RE: 150 gallon build, lots of questions

Post by mp4 » May 4th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Tipps wrote:.What are the best casters to use for primarily concrete? Steel, or do any of the plastics work? And what would be the best size, thinking 5 or 6”. I was gonna do 2 fixed near firebox and 2 swivel at stack end. I’d say with the tank being 350 lbs or so, plus another 200 lbs maybe with base and accessories, this thing should way 600 on the safe side.
I like the urethane casters personally. They are the happy medium between pneumatic and steel. Some guys make custom steel wheels that are pretty darn trick though...so that's something to consider.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 4th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Welcome aboard!! Have you found our pit calculator at the top of the page ? There's a pit calculator and several others that Pete has designed that will help you figure the extra volume in the bell end and several other things. I'll try to help you out with some of your questions as best I can. 1) 130% is too big, 115% is the max recommended size. 2) The stack length is the vertical section of the stack. 3) I would go with a steel caster if you're going to be on concrete, 5'' or 6'' will work fine, just don't forget to add the height of the casters to your under carriage for your overall height. 4) You'll have to find the balance point before mounting the rear wheels but usually on a patio cooker the wheels are under the FB for better stability. 5) I'm not sure what the official name for the plate at the throat is but we call it a shadow plate on a RF smoker. I usually run them out 25% of the length of the CC for example a 48'' CC would have a shadow plate 12'' with a square end. On a RF the SP is level but I'm not sure what would work best for your design with the stack mounted mid CC. 6) You'll need a 2'' grease dam at the throat to keep grease from getting into the FB and causing a fire and a 2'' drain on the other end. I would build the cooker level because most cookers work best when level or close to it. If you need to drain the grease out of the CC you could maybe put some shims under the wheels after you're finished cooking. I would think that if it started filling up during a cook, you could open the drain and dump enough grease to finish the cook. 7) The order of operation varies depending on what works best for you so I can't really help you on that but they get heavy in a hurry.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » May 4th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Thank you Big T for all that info, sorry I had so many questions. You helped me out. I’m gonna cut down the firebox some, and will use the information you gave me with the rest of the build. Really appreciate it. Will eventually get some photos posted.

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » May 4th, 2018, 9:32 pm

Thank you MP4 for your help as well, much appreciated.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » May 5th, 2018, 7:43 am

Sounds like BigT has you covered. As far as casters go I would get matching capacity versus the weight of the smoker. Like if the smoker weighs 600# get 600# casters. I know it seems like you should divide the weight but no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » May 5th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Yep, what BigT and RC said.. get casters that will individually match the weight.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » May 5th, 2018, 6:11 pm

Ok, I’ll get some heavy casters. Got my firebox cut down so now I’m at 110%. Got a long way to go.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » May 6th, 2018, 2:54 am

Just remember, it's not a race. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Take heaps of photo's (and post them here) so you can look back in a few years and relive the experience.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 14th, 2018, 2:32 pm

Yeah like AJ said, it will also help someone else.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » May 16th, 2018, 11:52 am

I’ll get some photos posted. Decided to build some steel wheels to use instead of casters. Gonna take some time.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 16th, 2018, 2:29 pm

That should be cool

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » May 17th, 2018, 11:12 am

Some photos from the beginning...
Attachments
IMG_2474.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2527.JPG

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » May 17th, 2018, 11:14 am

Going to start making my wheels with this piece I got after re-doing buddy's firebox.
Attachments
IMG_2575.JPG

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » May 30th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Got pipe sliced for wheels, had to make a jig with plywood to help line them out. Got one more to tack up and then weld em out, happy with how they turned out.
Attachments
IMG_2855.JPG
IMG_2865.JPG
IMG_2913.JPG

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 30th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Those look pretty nifty. Nice job

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 30th, 2018, 6:56 pm

:yth: :kewl:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 30th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Oh now you’re just showing off. Nice

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine

Post by McBroom » May 30th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:Oh now you’re just showing off. Nice

[emoji1303]

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road 6.4L. USMC (ret)

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » May 30th, 2018, 11:02 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:Oh now you’re just showing off. Nice

Thanks. I have never attempted making wheels, this was a first. It was pretty frustrating trying to keep hub aligned

mp4
Expert
Expert

Post by mp4 » May 31st, 2018, 3:44 am

Very cool!

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » July 9th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Few progress photos, it's been slow going lately. I'm not sure whether to use 5" or 6" for my stack, they both look good to me...
IMG_3317.JPG
end cap attached

Tipps
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Tipps » July 9th, 2018, 5:07 pm

IMG_3188.JPG