firebox size longer vs taller vs wider?

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
Ranjer59
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

firebox size longer vs taller vs wider?

Post by Ranjer59 » August 28th, 2020, 4:58 pm

I came into a 60 gallon compressor tank. not real thick but I like the size (ok-that sounded wrong)

I plug that into the calculator and it spits out a number for a "square" FB - 4620 -great

I was thinking 18 long x 17 w x 17 high- gives 5202 (112%- not too bad)

But are these the right /best dimensions? If I make it longer, I can use longer splits OR build the fire further from the CC throat. But I'd have to drop the H or W- or both.

Is there a point where decreasing the H or W past a certain size makes sense or is desirable?

Just running the room. How long would you make it, how tall, how wide?

thanks in advance

rj

dacolson

Re: firebox size longer vs taller vs wider?

Post by dacolson » August 28th, 2020, 5:34 pm

I’d make it 18 deep x 17 wide and 17 high. I like to have room for a good grate and ash pan. And sometimes I get a split or two that are a bit longer. At one inch difference, One way or the other won’t really matter. Other than that,
IMO, I wouldn’t recommend making it longer/taller in any one direction. You need depth for splits and height so you can get airflow under your fire.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 29th, 2020, 10:56 am

Keep it as square as possible while allowing enough room to put your standard log splits in.

Brisket Envy
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Brisket Envy » August 29th, 2020, 11:47 pm

On my last build, I had a similar issue.
I went a little “out of the Box” (sorry), and used 20” length so I can use longer splits, 17 height for a tiny bit of distance between the coal bed and cooking chamber, but made it a bit narrower, and it works like a champ.

EverydayDiesel
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by EverydayDiesel » November 21st, 2020, 1:11 am

Why does the size of the firebox affect the cook? Too small I could see because you couldnt put the right amount of wood/air in but is it a bad thing if you build it oversized? You just dont run as much wood and adjust the door(input air)?

dacolson

Post by dacolson » November 21st, 2020, 9:56 am

A larger firebox will work, it will just take a lot more management. A smaller fire in a larger space will burn hotter and you’ll blow through fuel. Even with vent management. You’ll be adding fuel very often. Your coal bed will be very tough to keep going. Tough job over a long cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Standard Offsets”