Couple Design Questions .

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
JH1973
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Couple Design Questions .

Post by JH1973 » July 4th, 2022, 7:55 pm

First question :Does anyone have a quick and simple way of finding the center of a hemispherical head on a propane tank?
Second : I have gone to the calculator with both 6” and 8” stacks , is there a “standard” or most common size for the diameter? It will be on a 250 gallon tank.
Third and probably a dumb one: Has anyone ever done a single door on a 250?I know it won’t be light just curious to see what ball park weight would be .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Couple Design Questions .

Post by Big T » July 4th, 2022, 9:53 pm

I can't help you on the first one but 6'' is pretty common for a stack on a 250, if you use 8'' it will be really short. I've saw quite a few 250's with single doors. I'm not sure of the weight but you can add a counterweight and it'll open with ease.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Couple Design Questions .

Post by Dirtytires » July 5th, 2022, 11:04 am

To find the center of the head,I would first find the 0, 90, 180, and 270 degree marks on the cylinder of the tank and draw a line the length of the tank at each point. You should then be able to line up a laser level over the end of the dome with the 0 and 90 degree points that connects them. Do this with the 90 and 270 degree as well and the intersection should be your center point.

My laser level sits on on tripod and has a vertical and horizontal beam which makes this a pretty quick solution but you could run a string around the ends with fairly good results as well.