offset refurbish

All the calculators you'll need to design your own smoker.
rbbennett

offset refurbish

Post by rbbennett » December 2nd, 2022, 11:48 am

I was given a large offset with an upright on it (pics attached). Per the calculator, without the upright figuring in the FB is 145%, if I add just the extra horizontal length (20" OD) then it is about 89%. Do I need to add the overall volume of the upright? or just the horizonal length.

Pit dims are FB 16" D X 24" L, CC 20" D X 37" L, Upright 20" D X 54" T from centerline of the CC and the Stack is 6" D X 12" T on top of the upright. So top of smoke stack is 60" above top of CC.

I have to replace the bottom of the upright (rusted out) and the end of the FB below the CC (also rusted out).
Attachments
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed.jpg

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: offset refurbish

Post by Dirtytires » December 3rd, 2022, 1:48 pm

Only the horizontal length is added in the calculation. The vertical is "free" space but I think you will find the temps pretty un-even for cooking so it will become mainly a warming box. Trying to keep that big of a vertical up to 225-250 for smoking would probably make your main chamber too hot to be used. You might consider removing it if you don't need the space...that would make a really nice patio pit and still be plenty big enough for family use.