Doors seals and hinges

All the calculators you'll need to design your own smoker.
1waynewilson

Doors seals and hinges

Post by 1waynewilson » June 27th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Hello. New to this site. Have learned a lot in the little bit of time of being here. I'm currently building a RFS and have all the cal figured out but need some info/directions on the doors, hinges and seals. The smoker i'm building is a old propane tank with a square burn box. TIA for any information and keep up the informative post.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: Doors seals and hinges

Post by mp4 » June 27th, 2019, 7:03 pm

I like bullet hinges the best.

Fight the urge to weld the hinges on before cutting the door completely off. You may have to tweek it some to get it back to its original shape and hinges will make the job harder.

I like to weld a flange inside the cook chamber and use it for a seal seat. Some folks weld the flange to the door and use the cook chamber for the sealing surface. Either way is good. Get some self adhesive gasket - its terrific.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Doors seals and hinges

Post by Dirtytires » June 27th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Double on the bullet hinges. I mounted mine pointed in same direction so I could remove the door if ever I needed to. Welded on a small tab to keep it from working its way off during use but easy to cut off if ever needed.

It has been detailed many times on how to space the door to leave room for a gasket but rule of thumb is half gasket thickness. Holler if you need it again.