New Equipment advice

Forum How-to's, questions or issues and the site slang database.
Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

New Equipment advice

Post by Dirtytires » January 10th, 2018, 12:28 am

The time has come for me to upgrade the shop with some new equipment and I need a little advice. I am looking to add a horizontal/ vertical mitering bandsaw (somewhere in the 8-12inch range) and replace a worn out floor mount drill press (16-20 inch).

My shop is just to support my welding habit and is not for business use but I now have a fair amount of time to weld since I am no longer working. I demand that a piece is equipment do its job without constant fiddling and adjusting just to work properly---that instantly rules out Harbor Freight and used machines (no desire to have a 40 year old 15,000 lb drill press ---it's too big even if it will last forever.)

I think I have the bandsaw narrowed down to either an Ellis 1600 or a "jet 10". Everything else seems like it is just a clone of the same machine but all have terrible reviews. The drill press is up in the air. I'm considering a jet jdp-20mf but again, everything on the market gets horrible reviews so I was hoping some real world recommendations from you all would help.

I am looking at JET mainly because they appear to have good customer service and have spare parts available...something many of the importers can't claim. I have never used their machines so comments on them would be helpful as well.

Thanks to all in advance!

Gibbnal

Re: New Equipment advice

Post by Gibbnal » January 10th, 2018, 5:33 pm

Ellis 1600 for sure. This was a purchase that I have zero regrets about. Rock solid performance, accurate and simple to adjust. Made thousands of cuts on 3/16 and 1/4” angle this year without a problem. Clamping mechanism is pretty solid also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » January 10th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence..I was pretty set on the Ellis as well. It has great reviews and appears to be a solid investment. I looked at their drill press however and had sticker shock.

Anybody have a drill press they like?

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: RE: Re: New Equipment advice

Post by mp4 » January 12th, 2018, 5:18 am

Dirtytires wrote:Anybody have a drill press they like?
I bought a used Jet a few years ago and it would be OK except I didn't notice the arbor was slightly bent when I bought it. When I was researching I seem to recall someone saying that most of the imports (including Jet) were made from the same manufacturer. Overall, I'm happy with the press but it most certainly isn't up to any repeated industrial task.

Too much is just right!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » January 12th, 2018, 10:26 am

Good feedback. I have no experience with any of them. Jet seems to have replacement parts available tho and has a decent chance of being in business in 10-15 years if I need them.

On the other hand....my wife just "recommended" I go to Ellis for everything. Who am I to argue?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » January 13th, 2018, 5:59 am

Dirtytires said:
On the other hand....my wife just "recommended" I go to Ellis for everything. Who am I to argue?
Mate, that is like getting a blank check from she who reads all the statements. Go for it... =))

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » January 13th, 2018, 10:37 pm

:yth:

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » January 15th, 2018, 3:39 pm

I have had a smaller Ellis for 30 years, with the 1" blade you will be very happy. And if not I will help you out of it.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » January 16th, 2018, 6:28 pm

i appreciate that Rodcrafter. You have always given me great advice and have helped me out of a bind more than once. I just my be crazy enough to drive it on out to you!

The bandsaw is pretty much settled....anyone have any good advice on a (new) drillpress?

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » January 16th, 2018, 7:17 pm

I have seen the Jet brand tools. some look perty ok to me. I have not owned any tho... we got a bridgeport... ain't hooked up yet, but we sure got one hahaha!
anyway our drill press that is operational is a porter cable cheapie... it works fine for light stuff.
we also have a mag drill we use quite a bit. and a plasma table.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » January 17th, 2018, 9:51 pm

DT you just let me know when you’re coming and I will make some goodies for us to snack on. [emoji23]

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Welcome!”