CyberQ

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

CyberQ

Post by mp4 » February 9th, 2018, 6:55 pm

I ordered mine and it showed up this afternoon. It took me a couple hours to get it connected to the wifi and I'll install it tomorrow on my mini and try it out. Does anyone have any tips or advice before I fire it up?

YTQBBQINC
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Yummy Tummy BBQ

Re: CyberQ

Post by YTQBBQINC » February 9th, 2018, 10:59 pm

I use one on the shelf(left) side of my smoker. Works pretty good. Only thing I don’t like about them is if you’re not actually connected to WiFi and basically using a closed network between your CyberQ and your device it disables your data access on whatever device you’re using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mp4
Expert
Expert

Post by mp4 » February 10th, 2018, 10:19 am

1st argh of the day...the CyberQ only runs on 2.4 Ghz and the network that I installed to get to my shop is 5 Ghz.

Argh...

Too much is just right!

mp4
Expert
Expert

Post by mp4 » February 10th, 2018, 9:37 pm

1st cook with the CyberQ and I'm thoroughly impressed. I messed with temp adjustments between 225 and 250 and it made them almost flawlessly.

I still have to figure out all the bells and whistles that it has, but I'll save that for another day.

Too much is just right!

Elmacho
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Elmacho » February 11th, 2018, 3:21 am

Awesome. I’ve been anxious to pull the trigger on one. It is about that time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » February 11th, 2018, 7:14 pm

I like my cyber q the only way to make jerky for me. Blue tooth or web or manual it’s the best.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

cyberstrategist
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Old Country BBQ

Post by cyberstrategist » August 6th, 2018, 8:23 am

I have the PartyQ and I like that I can control the temps with it as well as it does. I'm debating on what my next controller will be purchasing by end of year). There have been some new ones to the market since I bought mine.

Where faith + family + tradition always equals success. Serving up BBQ the old school way.

Currently using...
Five Barrel Cookers; One New Braunfels horizontal; One Trailer smoker (being built)

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » August 6th, 2018, 12:45 pm

May I very politely suggest to anybody considering one of these beasties to also consider the opensource HeaterMeter (support forum over at the Virtual Weber Bullet online forums: https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-H ... Controller .)

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 7th, 2018, 7:44 pm

JKalchik wrote:
August 6th, 2018, 12:45 pm
May I very politely suggest to anybody considering one of these beasties to also consider the opensource HeaterMeter (support forum over at the Virtual Weber Bullet online forums: https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-H ... Controller .)
I've looked at the HM in the past and checked out some of the forums but I'm not very tech savvy and it seems like you have to build everything yourself. I think they have a lot to offer from what I've seen but I think for me, it's probably better to buy a unit that is ready to go right out of the box. I did see where you can buy them already soldered up but it appeared to me that I would still have to get all of the other components to have a complete system. It also seemed like I would need to do some configuring of the hardware with my PC once everything was built. I'm not criticizing them because I know a lot of guys love them, I'm just afraid I may never get the thing to work correctly.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 7th, 2018, 11:05 pm

:yth:

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » August 7th, 2018, 11:19 pm

:yth: 2nd that... I'm a great fan of plug and play electronics.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

mp4
Expert
Expert

Post by mp4 » August 8th, 2018, 6:56 am

I'm intrigued by the Heatermeter stuff and will probably delve into it some day because I do like to build my own stuff when time permits.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » August 8th, 2018, 7:21 am

I can't argue that if you're not a tinkerer, you don't want to mess with a HeaterMeter.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » August 8th, 2018, 7:00 pm

JKalchik wrote:
August 8th, 2018, 7:21 am
I can't argue that if you're not a tinkerer, you don't want to mess with a HeaterMeter.
Once built how much tinkering is involved?

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » August 9th, 2018, 9:53 am

I was going to say some to quite a bit.... but the majority of it is actually in the web GUI. You can spend as much or as little time there as you want (or need.) If you're not interested in the flexibility aspect of that, then there's really no need to get an HM.

I was inside my HM's case for the first time in a year to install a new operating system a couple of weeks ago. That's more or less optional. The maintainer updates the software on a pretty regular basis, although a wholesale update like I performed isn't often required.

Another attraction (or detraction....) is the wide range of fan & damper assemblies to choose from, pretty much all with a standard cable. Choice here starts with what size of a pit you have, then goes on to personal choice.

In short, once it's set up, as much or as little tinkering as you want.

rfuilrez

Post by rfuilrez » August 13th, 2018, 9:55 pm

I will put in another good word for the HeaterMeter. I’ve been rocking one for 2-3years now on my PBC and before that Weber kettle with slow n sear. I’m a tinkerer by nature though so it’s right up my alley. I’m one of the few people who run it with no fan. I use a custom designed flat opening damper that I designed and had printed for myself. I can’t stoke the fire as fast as some of the guys with fans can, but it controls the pit exactly like you would by hand. The PBC isn’t very good in the wind, but if I put a wind break around it, the HM will hold it +/- 2*. And I never really dialed in the PID settings.

Has served me well for the past couple years. I don’t tinker with it much anymore. I’ve built a couple now because I’m careless sometimes and forgot it in the rain once. The old Raapberry Pi died also so I upgraded to a new HM design and newer Pi.

I’m pretty sure you can buy all the things pre made from people on the forums. Dampers and fans and the HM itself. But a lot of it would be lost if you don’t intend on tinkering. Or care for the bells and whistles. There’s a lot more available in it than any of the commercial smoker controllers. And if you’re computer savvy you can get even more out of it.

Return to “Let's Talk!”