Royal oak premium

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Royal oak premium

Post by Mo Smoke » May 10th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Saw a deal in Wally World today.. 2 - 18lb bags for $9... Anybody ever cooked with these? I think it’s regular charcoal, not the royal oak lump.. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Royal oak premium

Post by Dirtytires » May 10th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Nope....had to go wrong at that price...

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » May 10th, 2019, 11:31 pm

Royal Oak not one of my favorite’s especially the red bag lump charcoal. It looks like burnt pallets.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Royal oak premium

Post by Mo Smoke » May 12th, 2019, 8:34 am

Burnt pallets..[emoji848].. I’m glad i decided to pass. Grabbed 2 bags of 20 pound Kingsford for 20 bucks. I may be done with lump... tried a few brands and even though I like some things about it.. best cook I ever had was off just plain kingsford and wood.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » May 12th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Lump is definitely not for every smoker or application. I find the lump for building the initial coal bed then logs from there on works best for me.

Personally, I won’t use briquettes in my pit. I keep a bag for Dutch oven cooking and backup on the grill tho.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by JKalchik » May 12th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 3:11 pm
Lump is definitely not for every smoker or application. I find the lump for building the initial coal bed then logs from there on works best for me.

Personally, I won’t use briquettes in my pit. I keep a bag for Dutch oven cooking and backup on the grill tho.
Hrrrm. That's an awfully good idea, use briquettes for Dutch oven cooking. No [real] smoke exposure to the food, and ash production probably isn't a concern.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » May 12th, 2019, 7:18 pm

What brand of lump do u use?

Smoke em if ya got em.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » May 13th, 2019, 4:31 pm

El Diablo. It’s a mesquite wood lump charcoal, comes in a 40# bag and I get it for about $12-13 a bag. I have to sort it and break up some of the bigger pieces but over the last 10 years it’s consistently been of good quality.

It is distributed out of Phoenix and will sell it by the pallet for even less. I need more friends to split it with before I run down for one tho....

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » May 13th, 2019, 5:26 pm

How many bags to the pallet?
I’m taking my Q commercial so I may be interested in 1/4 pallet

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » May 13th, 2019, 11:16 pm

24 bags if I recall correctly.

They used to let you just roll up to the warehouse and they would toss as many in your truck bed as you wanted. Don’t know if they still do that. My local Costco now stocks them and they are about the same price and a lot closer.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » May 14th, 2019, 5:29 am

I've been trying to find a good lump charcoal and haven't really found anything that's left me impressed. I tried a bag of the royal oak classic and yes, it seemed to be scrap wood but truthfully most that I've used has been that way. I haven't tried the Cowboy stuff because of what I've heard here. I have a different bag of Royal Oak lump (I don't recall the name) and a bag of Kingsford lump. I'll have to get them opened up to see how they cook.

As far as briquettes go, I like Royal Oak over the blue bag Kingsford. It burns cleaner and leaves less tar on my gravity feeds coal door.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » May 14th, 2019, 7:05 am

I used Rockwood out of St. Louis for a few years and that's been pretty good. I've gone through a half a dozen bags of B+B because 1) I can get it about a mile from my house. It's a bit cheaper than Rockwood, but the last couple of bags have been sparking pretty good. Generally, it burns well, in my grill, there's no unburned lumps left after a cook.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » May 14th, 2019, 8:21 am

MP4 u like royal oak charcoal over kinsgford? Are we talking the same one I saw on sale at Walmart or a different one?

Smoke em if ya got em.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » May 14th, 2019, 8:26 am

Jkalchik... question. Is sparking supposed to be a good thing when it comes to lump.? I bought a bag of western lump( see my post about it) and that was the first time I ever saw sparks when I lit a fire.. it was smoky, had good burn time, and was hot for sure, but I had to stand back because I was worried i might catch some shrapnel !

Smoke em if ya got em.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » May 14th, 2019, 8:39 am

Mo Smoke wrote:MP4 u like royal oak charcoal over kinsgford? Are we talking the same one I saw on sale at Walmart or a different one?

This is the stuff I like. Less ash and less tar than Kingsord. Image

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » May 14th, 2019, 8:55 am

Last year I got some lump charcoal in a brown bag (can’t remember the name) but it burnt awesomely
I’ve been burning wood in the house heater for years and typically when you have sparking it’s due to cedar’ & bois’darc type woods. Certain kinds of oak will spark also. Water oak is one. While oaks do burn hot I like/prefer to use fruit woods. Anything that produces a fruit or nut adds great flavor and also burn fairly hot.
I know this is slightly off topic but I thought it might help someone.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

JKalchik
Expert
Expert

Post by JKalchik » May 14th, 2019, 9:33 am

Mo Smoke wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 8:26 am
Jkalchik... question. Is sparking supposed to be a good thing when it comes to lump.? I bought a bag of western lump( see my post about it) and that was the first time I ever saw sparks when I lit a fire.. it was smoky, had good burn time, and was hot for sure, but I had to stand back because I was worried i might catch some shrapnel !

Personally, I can't image why sparking would be a good thing. Risk of open fires when lighting off a chimney full, and sparking under food in a grill.... not so good. I'd tried another brand that was supposed to be awfully good, and got a 4' tower of sparks out of the chimney (I didn't even finish burning what I'd bought, it got thrown out.)

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » May 14th, 2019, 11:25 am

Ok we’re on the same page. I was a little confused because I thought u were saying that u liked the lump that was sparking when lit [emoji23]. Man those fireworks can get scary. To be fair, it’s stopped once it burned down and it was time to cook, but I could only imagine someone using that stuff and being under or near a tent... only folks eating bbq will be the fire Dept.

Smoke em if ya got em.

McBroom
Expert
Expert

Post by McBroom » May 14th, 2019, 11:26 am

JKalchik wrote:
Mo Smoke wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 8:26 am

Personally, I can't image why sparking would be a good thing. Risk of open fires when lighting off a chimney full, and sparking under food in a grill.... not so good. I'd tried another brand that was supposed to be awfully good, and got a 4' tower of sparks out of the chimney (I didn't even finish burning what I'd bought, it got thrown out.)
Yep sounds like you got a bag of trash wood. Just hope there was no pine wood in it.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

Return to “Let's Talk!”