Website Suggestions

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Website Suggestions

Post by thejm » October 1st, 2020, 2:17 pm

Hey guys,

I am new to this site and can't thank everyone here enough for the advice and guidance ive gotten over the past couple of months. This site has such a wealth of information on it. I feel like its a diamond in the ruff as far as internet forums go.

I used to be on staff (nonpaid) at a forum for a couple years and learned a lot from that experience. After being here for a while I have a couple of suggestions to enhance the interactions between users. I will say up front that I don't know how hard these might be to add so don't take these as demands but merely observations.
  • 1. Add the ability to multi-quote. This is very useful when a user asks many questions and you want to respond to all of them. You can quote only the specific question from the long post, respond to it, quote the next one, respond to it, etc. all in the same post. Very useful.
    2. Add a 'like' or a 'thumbs-up' button to each post. A lot of times I find myself in the situation where I want to acknowledge that I read a user's post and thank him for it but creating a separate post each time I want to do that would get spammy. The link button is an easy way to accomplish this.
    3. Maybe its just me but the picture / banner across the top of the site that shows the firewood burning flashes about every 30 seconds for me. It can be very distracting.
Thanks again!
JM

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Re: Website Suggestions

Post by Cole Leffert » October 1st, 2020, 2:41 pm

I have never noticed the flashing banner until now! Now all I notice is the flashing banner!!! Thanks! =))

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » October 1st, 2020, 3:02 pm

Cole Leffert wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 2:41 pm
I have never noticed the flashing banner until now! Now all I notice is the flashing banner!!! Thanks! =))
You are welcome! I sometimes keep this site on a second monitor and it drives me mad catching my eye!

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 1st, 2020, 8:11 pm

That flash is most likely the site auto refreshing. Without that your open page is frozen and you will not see any new content until you click on another section or refresh your page. I like a site that auto refreshes.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 2nd, 2020, 10:44 am

I will politely disagree with the “thumbs up” on a post. Kinda reminds me of high school where we all voted for the prom king and queen because they were popular kids. Didn’t really mean anything and the majority of the student body never even had a chance.

Kinda nice that EVERYONE on this site has an equal voice and EVERY comment is important.

thejm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by thejm » October 2nd, 2020, 2:06 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 10:44 am
I will politely disagree with the “thumbs up” on a post. Kinda reminds me of high school where we all voted for the prom king and queen because they were popular kids. Didn’t really mean anything and the majority of the student body never even had a chance.

Kinda nice that EVERYONE on this site has an equal voice and EVERY comment is important.
Well now we know who was never voted prom king and isn't bitter about it...

I'm obviously kidding and I understand your point. The likes can have that effect in some cases. There is definitely some plusses and minuses to them.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 2nd, 2020, 8:12 pm

I know that there was some behind the scene work done on the site not too long ago but there hasn't been any major changes in several years. Frank and Tom have been very busy lately so I don't think there are any plans to make any changes in the near future. They normally make a thread and ask for input from the users as to what they might like to see changed and I guess they take it in to consideration, lol. I do know what you mean on a ''like button'' because sometimes the threads do get a little crowded from the looks great, thumbs up etc so I just wait until they accomplish something else before I comment. I also get that not everyone likes the same things so I guess it would become a total mess if they tried to please everyone. I'm just glad that it's a family friendly forum where everybody gets along and doesn't mind helping someone out instead of being like some of the other sites that I have visited in the past.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » October 3rd, 2020, 3:07 am

I changed the cycle time on the header. LMK if it's good now.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Return to “Let's Talk!”