Grill conundrums

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
clutch_kick
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Grill conundrums

Post by clutch_kick » July 24th, 2017, 5:23 am

Gents, I need to figure out what will work. The wife and I are planning on refurbing our back yard, this includes relocating my dinosaur pool (terrapins) and building a BBQ area that includes some kind of built in Grill and a counter top with a wash hand basin. I don't think I want another Gas grill and I was thinking of switching back to charcoal. So my question is ... should I fabricate a built in charcoal grill, that has a lid, or should I get something like a BGE or a Kamado, and kind of fit it nicely in the counter?

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Re: Grill conundrums

Post by ajfoxy » July 24th, 2017, 4:51 pm

Easiest option would be BGE or Kamado. Save you a heap of time while you are moving stuff around the back yard. Alternatively build yourself a UDS.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

clutch_kick
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by clutch_kick » July 24th, 2017, 5:19 pm

I am building myself a Mini GF, but I want to get rid of my Gas Grill and switch back to charcoal instead. UDS is a smoker.
I was wondering if anyone here has built any custom Charcoal grill that are built in, else my other option would be a BGE or similar since I guess you can still grill on that.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 26th, 2017, 7:23 am

You're right you can grill on them. The best part about those as built in is the way they are insulated.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

clutch_kick
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by clutch_kick » July 27th, 2017, 4:04 am

I am really tempted to build something myself though. A charcoal grill that looks like a built in gas grill with a lid.
Was thinking it should have a drawer like charcoal grate that makes topping up and cleaning easier.