Fire resistent Canopy tent

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Fire resistent Canopy tent

Post by Mo Smoke » June 21st, 2017, 10:43 am

I know at Competitions they don't allow smokers to be underneath tents for fire safety, but otherwise it's up to the individual. I'm planning to get a flame resistant canopy tent to set up in my backyard so my pit and I can stay dry when it rains. I know some of you guys probably use tents for festivals or competitions so hopefully your experiences will help. I have 3 questions...
1. should I go flat, low, or high pitched roof?
2. should I go white or silver color?
3. am i crazy to cook under a tent?

Smoke em if ya got em.

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Re: Fire resistent Canopy tent

Post by BitBucket » June 21st, 2017, 12:22 pm

I've been pencil-and-paper engineering a roll-up canopy for a month now. I never considered competition rules preventing canvas overhead as part of my design spec. I don't compete right now, but if I ever do, I'd hate to be sent home because my canopy design involves canvas. Back to the drawing board for me.

I don't have much to say about pitch, but you might consider a light color on top and darker underneath, if you have feelings about smoke discolorization and yet don't have that thing become a heat source in its own right in the mid-day sun?

Bb

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Stewart
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Stewart » June 21st, 2017, 12:45 pm

I don't compete. That being said I use a 12x12 easy up tent when the weather turns bad. Mine is silver in color and I do see some stains from the smoke above the stack but I'm dry that's all that matters to me.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 21st, 2017, 3:18 pm

I know you guys already know what mine is made of. But when were over at Pete's house we used pop ups and they were fine. We were just using UDS smokers but they worked well.

But if you park next to me or FC we will keep you covered.

just sayin

:rulz: :rulz:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » June 21st, 2017, 4:59 pm

I don't compete either Bit, I looked into tho. Picked up an application for an event with both pro and amateur categories and saw it listed. Called to ask for more info.. that was it. Smoker, cookers, and grills cannot be under the tent. I'm sure if you showed up with a pop up version of Rod's Pavillion.. u might be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » June 22nd, 2017, 5:30 am

But when were over at Pete's house we used pop ups and they were fine.
Yea, but it was raining and snowing the whole time.... :exp:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » June 22nd, 2017, 6:39 am

I'm only considering a flat roof to get as much height as possible on the sides because I have a tall stack. How much do you think I need above the stack?

Smoke em if ya got em.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 22nd, 2017, 6:35 pm

I had my trailer rig under a lean to and the smoke hit the roof and condensed. There was black water dripping on everything around the FB end. I've cooked in the same spot several times and it only happened twice so it may be only under certain weather conditions. I didn't have a lot of clearance between the stack and roof, there was only about 1 foot of clearance. I would put as much clearance as I could without it being a sky scrapper.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » June 23rd, 2017, 1:50 pm

I was thinking 2-3 feet clearance...based on your experience with 1 foot clearance, Looks like I'm on the right track. But that puts the top at 10 feet which is pretty high. Also thought about getting some kind of thin metal to use as a deflector and putting it between the stack and the canopy.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 23rd, 2017, 1:57 pm

I would agree that everything you said is correct. With fabric I think it's a good idea to do something to deflect the heat so it won't hit in a stream even if you used a small battery fan to blow the draft to the side.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

hutcho
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by hutcho » October 2nd, 2018, 1:53 pm

Havent got a chance to use it yet but our easy up type canopy has like a little mini canopy up top with a gap between them. If that makes sense? Anyway it would allow smoke to pass right out the top but still stay dry.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » October 5th, 2018, 1:12 am

Seems to me that smoke would pass thru but depending on how far away the smoke stack opening is from the canopy, it could still burn the canopy where it comes out or maybe leave a black stain. My other concern was fire. After cooking with Lump charcoal lately, the sparks and embers floating up in the air are a greater concern.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Return to “Let's Talk!”