Advice needed-Trying to build a level base for bbq area

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
BurnBern
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Advice needed-Trying to build a level base for bbq area

Post by BurnBern » July 22nd, 2019, 6:11 pm

Hi I want lay a concrete base for a bbq area. It’s going to be 5.2m x 3.3m. I was just going to put shuttering up on the area I was going to use . Remove all the turf and just pour a 150mm concrete slab. But on checking today there is a fall of almost 190mm from one end to the other.

What would you do, dig footings and do brickwork to bring it all up to the same height and then pour concrete ?

If digging footings how deep should I go and what width and depth should the concrete be for the footings

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Advice needed-Trying to build a level base for bbq area

Post by Big T » July 22nd, 2019, 7:48 pm

Your other option would be to bring in some dirt and build up the low end so you could put your concrete slab at the proper elevation. Then you wouldn't have to worry about someone stepping off of the edge and twisting an ankle. I'm not sure about how deep the footings would need to be because we have building codes here which tell you how you have to build everything. If you don't have any codes then you could probably get by with a 6'' deep by 12'' wide footing seeing as you're only trying to raise the elevation by 8'' on one end.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 23rd, 2019, 12:06 pm

The common practice here in AZ is to simply down the edge forms and pour the slab. With that said, we don’t have frost to worry about so your local weather might dictate a certain procedure. As far as the elevation change, I probably wouldn’t put a footer down but would use some set-back retaining wall blocks.

Also keep in mind it’s pretty common to have a slight slope to a slab to keep water from laying on it. You may be able to use that to your advantage.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » July 23rd, 2019, 12:57 pm

I would cut half of 190mm off the high side and fill the low side with the dirt. The slab will be near ground level on one end and raised on the other.
I want my slabs level with no low spots to trap water.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » July 23rd, 2019, 5:23 pm

Yep, what towtruck said. Half and half. You also could dig out the whole area and on the high side brick up and make seating.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford